New NC16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New NC16

Post by Grainhopper »

My first fillet. They got uglier as I went. 2nd day they were better, made a smaller batch, so I wasn't pressed to get it done.

Doug

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Bondo spreaders are my favorite for smoothing putty. The yellow ones at Harbor Freight. The problem is after the first use the edge gets so rough it pulls the fabric. After use let them set up overnight. Crack off the epoxy film and then plane the spreading edge down lightly with a block plane. You will get about 3 uses out of each that way, they just get a little stiffer as you remove the thin edge.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

I use a 1" wooden dowel for 1/2" fillets . You can cut them any length for getting into corners or tight
places. I used just two sizes for 90 percent of of all the fillets on my boat a 6" long and a 2" .
Cut to what ever length you need and sand the rough edge off and build on.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

Nice tip topwater. I am about finished with inside seams will post pictures after I finish. And recover from the heat.

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

I'm showing this picture on how I measure it. For wetting out I use 3oz. At a time. For fillets I use 1.5 oz.

Pictures of my seams.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Nice work. Nothing wrong with those filets at all :D 8)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!! Very clean!! Jeff

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I found another radius tool that works really well for when you need small fillets. Laminate samples (like Wilsonart or Formica). We were throwing out a bunch of outdated ones at work so I grabbed a couple handfuls, they have radiused corners and work really well.
Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Very clean seams and yes, pieces of laminate the size of a business card make good fillet tools.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

I was a window tinter previously, still do a bit here and there. There's one tinting tool that I've found brilliant for fillets, spreading, cleaning up and much much more.

http://lilchizler.com

It's a small pink hard plastic card. Four corners, each with a different radius for different seams/fillets. You can angle it against your fillet for even more radius' and control. It has a sharp edge and scrapes up every last bit of putty or resin from the spots you want clean. It's saved me literally hours and hours in sanding.

I get mine off ebay, they're very cheap and last for years. Every now and then I take to it with a piece of 1000grit paper to maintain its hard and sharp edge.

Have a look, give it a go, forget I said anything... I love it!

Your seams look good anyway, but can't hurt to offer tips and tricks.

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy