Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by cape man »

Dropped my friend at the airport early Sunday morning wearing shorts and sandals. Sent him home to a -14 F in Minneapolis that night! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:59 pm got to shed some clothes :lol:
This is one of the scariest things I've heard in a while.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I now remember why I’ve been finding excuses to delay the repairs … I hate glass work.

2 pieces laid. Way too much epoxy. Can’t get it to spread without pulling. Wound up abandoning all tools and just using my hands to spread the epoxy. I’ll also get to a a complete repaint and the goo made it past my tape.

She’saworkboat she’saworkboat she’saworkboat she’saworkboat she’saworkboat she’saworkboat

Not working.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well … that shit show is over.

The only person that should ever let me do glass work on their boat is fuzz. And then it should only be on the inside of the hull. I can guarantee three things:
1. You won’t have voids
2. You’ll run out of epoxy.
3. It will be ugly.

Step one was to reseal everything. That was a disaster that resulted in much swearing. We won’t discuss that. I did let it kick before “sticking” the glass on it. I had so much neat on the seal coat that in a few places the glass started to soak it up. That was kind of nice as I was able to press the glass over the edges and it “stuck”.

Made some more neat and tried to roll it on. The glass stuck to the roller. Used a squeegee. Glass crumpled EXCEPT where it was stuck in the previous layer. I saw that fast enough to abandon that plan. As I was swearing and taking fuzz’s name in vain I decided to just dump and finger paint the epoxy in.

This
Is
Magic

Why the hell isn’t this the normal way?

Basically I dumped a little epoxy and then used my gloves hand to just rub it into the glass. If an area was saturated I just used my hand to move the excess. If and are was dry I could just rub a bit in by sticking my finger in the pot. I figure I spent 45 minutes trying to get the first two pieces down “traditional” then less than 30min for the 6 using my finger paint method.

This may actually be the best glass in the boat. All transitions are thin. There are very few “pulls”. The weave is nearly filled. No dry spots and no puddles.

Just ignore the puddles in the graphite. That was the seal coat mess.

Next up is let this kick overnight, silica fill and initial fair tomorrow. After that will be graphite coats. Jury is out on how far I go to fix my gazillion dollar EMC topcoat. Not sure I have enough to do it right. Pretty can wait until the fishing dies out in July. Fish don’t give a rip if she’s ugly. Neither does the Mrs.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

As long as you are where you are might as well add some sort of wear guard or you will be doing this again.

Tell me again why I am nice to you :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I would think it is because you’re a good person. But it could be that you enjoy having a soft target in Alaskan “summer” (aka winter in the south).

I’ve gone over the options to harden the bottom. Nothing really works. I’m either having to through bolt stuff or it is no better than 3 layers of glass. I have arranged for a permanent spot on a neighbors lift that “should” reduce some grinding. I do expect to do this work (at a smaller scale) ever 6mo or so going forward. Hopefully that will reduce the level of disgust at my glass skills.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Make up a strip of glass one inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. While still green it will be flexible enough to mold to the hull. Glue it on. At least it will take a lot of abuse before needing to be replaced.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That will be for round two. We have food acquisition for non-cockroach-water-creatures starting up for real in a couple weeks. Once I get some new scrapes on her I’ll know where to put them too.

That said, 3 layers 9ox biax plus silica plus graphite should add up to a bit of protection.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

On a positive note, it appears that all my mixes were good. Everything is curing slow. Not even close to sandable this morning. Probably not until tomorrow.

That makes today a good day to drink rum!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Decided to sand in the rain. Much to everyone’s dismay no electrocution happened. Did the entire bottom with 60g. Next up is the hardening/smoothing layers that need to wait for “no rain”. That’s where I’m second guessing my plan.

Here what I think I want to do.
1. Entire bottom in silica as a “filler” for gashes , weave and mo or fairing.
2. Layer of proper fairing compound with actual attempt at smooth hull.
3. Layer of silica to harden the fairing
4. My normal 4-5 layers of graphite.

My thought is that I’ll see how deep any gouges are with the color changes. It also puts the graphite over a very hard lay vs the fairing. I’m open to suggested changes.

And my apologies to Jacques for the absolute ugliness of the hull. I swear I’ll make her pretty end of the fishing season. I just need to get her back on the water and put some fresh meat on the table.