FB-11 Jean Bille

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

FB-11 Jean Bille

Post by Buz »

Now I know why so many of y'all have plans for several boats.

After reading up here (which is mostly why I've decided to build a Bateau boat) I got FL12 plans and an epoxy kit for an FL14 so I'd have plenty. Then I hadn't even ordered my first batch of wood before I changed my mind and decide not to try to cut the front off the FL12 as I'd been planning. I'm going to take some advice I read here to not change the plans, so FB11 it is.

That said, of course I still plan to change things a bit. As this is likely a practice boat I got Jeff to pack ten yards of 6oz to get that experience. I'll use a yard or two inside where gravelly boots might go and some scraps at the contact points when stacked. Trying to figure out how I'll do that and put strips down the middle of the sole like in Mhopper's GV11.

Seems to have only been a couple FB11 builds documented here so I hope my questions in this progress thread will contribute. Wood is on the way, my second set of plans, too. In a couple weeks I'll cut my new boat in half.
Last edited by Buz on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FB11 for Guntersville Lake and...

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Wise move not messing with the plans, especially for a first build. I've found that the pondering and figuring out required for that often takes far longer than the building process. You'll have a boat way faster, and with less frustration and wasted material following the plans

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FB11 for Guntersville Lake and the cartop

Post by Buz »

So I've been looking at the plans and the pretty wood for days and building a strongback and stuff and now have my first ...oh, wait. I mean... next question. Yep, before I cut any ply.

Since this is a rowboat and I can do without transom doublers, I see that if I adjust the nesting plans I can get 64 feet of 1" wide strips from the edges. Think that's a good idea? Having never cut big floppy sheets of plywood before, I wonder if I would be better off cutting as suggested, purposely leaving the suggested inch or two around the edges of the big pieces to (maybe)make the wood more stable for the cutting.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

All parts are cut. Laying the panels together to check for symmetry was a bit disappointing. An eighth or quarter just about everywhere.

I imagine this is okay, more or less normal, to be expected, and no problem with the stitch and glue method, but...

Would it be advantageous to plane the edges down to make the panels symmetrical? Seems fairness of the hull would be easier if I were to do this.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Yes, but don't get too detailed about it. I'd just worry about the stuff that's more than 1/8 off. You don't want to change the shape of the panels or where they intersect with the other panels might be off.

Lots of guys stack the plywood and cut both at once to avoid that problem. I usually cut one and then router the second with a flush trim bit.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Sure is fun, doing all the "tack welding" with nails inserted to establish a gap everywhere and all the PB put in backed with duct tape, then stepping back, done.

You only need patience if you'd rather be doing something else.

Got pics, but gotta figger out why photobucket doesn't like me anymore.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Buz, get us some photos!! Jeff

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Well, crud.

36 hours later, some of my epoxy isn't dry. My guess is I forgot to stir a batch or something during the rush to get done taping the seams before dark.

Guess this means I'm needing a coupla gallons of vinegar and a buncha rags. That right?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Absolutely Buz!! Something is very wrong if it is not completely dry after 36 hours!! Sorry, Jeff

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Thanks, Jeff. Just found jduck's recent thread with a similar problem with his OD.

I just got to pull up a big length of my center chine's tape! Yeah boy!