K2FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: K2FS18

Post by K2FS18 »

Coming along great. Just put all decks and soles on to see how she is gonna look. Still working on transom/bilge area and cleats, plus all those little details that take time and thinking.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Wish I had super human boat building powers like yours. I'd be fishing in mine by now. I've got 4 months and I'm still fairing my hull.

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Well MrPaul, I skipped that part. I am thinking I want to finish some of the inside first. It is light enough to flip back over to fair and finish later I think.

I am just taking advantage of some free time I have between jobs.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's looking great 8) I like the lay out.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Slowly coming along the past week and half. The cleats just about did me in. If, IF, I ever do this again, I will glue cleats to stringers and possibly bulkheads before I install. I think this would speed the process and make it easier.

Got the sole down in compartment "A" and "B". Finally all cleats are installed. The structure is complete in the transom/bilge area and surface drain from cockpit to transom/bilge area is all but complete.

Was planning on finishing foaming and installing remaining souls, BUT, ran out of material. This has been the case from day one. Always running out of something. Caused either by waste, adding something not on plans or just lack of experience. Oh well, lots of other stuff to do while material is shipped.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Day late and a dollar short :( If you build another boat you might think about trying this on the stringers. I cut a 2x the width I needed and then cut a dado down the middle of it. Puddy up the slot and drop it over the stringer. Done deal :D It does raise the level a little but you can work around that.
Like the others I am enjoying your build, keep it up.

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Got my shipment of extra foam and got to work. I wanted a full fill sole. I first tried using the pillow tops as filler and pouring around. I did not like the results; as seen in the forward cavity. Once cured, it seemed to be more waste. I just bit the bullet and ordered an additional 4 gallons to pour so that cure was full fill and pillow tops where cut and discarded. I have about a gallon left over. I added additional cross members to help stiffen sole as well.

Got the sole glued down as well. Once cured, I was finally able to stand in the skiff. One thing that I noticed was the flex and the air that pressed out from around the sides. I figured with full fill foam and additional cross members that the sole would not flex. I am sure it is minimal flex, just noticeable.

Also laid down a layer of 4oz cloth on the sole. And once again ran out of epoxy. This time I reordered 3 gallons because last reorder of 1.5 did not get it done. The worst is running out of something. I would rather have extra left over than for work to stop. I used some peel ply as well to remove some extra resin. Yep, that is where it is all going.

I have taped (4oz) all the joints from hull to soles, bulkheads, etc. I am sure this is not needed, but I don't want any water to get below sole. There is no way for it to get out once in. Maybe the 4oz is really 6oz, I cant remember at this point.

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Taking advantage of waiting on epoxy order and started to prime my compartments. Its nice to jump to another task, seems epoxy never ends. I was happily surprised my glass job was not to bad. Fairing the exposed parts on the haul may not be as big of a task as I imagine.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

K2FS18, looks nice!! Send me some wider shots of the boat!! Jeff

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

So here is 1.5 quarts of S3 Quick Fair. That did not last as long as I hoped. Ordering 3 quarts more and hopefully will have some left over. I don't think I am using too much. Just filling in the low spot created by the glass tape at edge and keel and filling weave at front section. Looks like I got another week or so of no boat building time on my hands.