OD18 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OD18 Build

Post by Bbolton2 »

Larry B wrote:
Bbolton2 wrote: Did any of you guys tab some of the molds to the panels?
If I remember correctly, I believe I did. Not a lot but enough to keep them in place. Leave a gap and then just cut them loose when your done sand smooth and continue on.
You can see in this picture where I tabbed them:
Okay, it makes sense, and I believe Jacques mentions it in the building notes. I need a propane heater or something, cause it is taking forever for the glue to cure. I am more than 48 hrs in from the last glue, and it is still tacky and pliable.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

I built in Arizona and always used the slow :D If I had used the fast it would have cured before I got it out of the cup
Completed: FL14, OD18

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Propane creates moisture which can cause blush,a blanket or tarp over the boat and a small electric heater does wonders for slow hardener.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Tungsten wrote:Propane creates moisture which can cause blush,a blanket or tarp over the boat and a small electric heater does wonders for slow hardener.
That was one reason I was looking for a blush free epoxy for the build I'm starting, since the only way I can heat the shop quickly is a open propane heater. Also have to watch out for CO when using a non-vented propane heater. I just got a CO detector so I can run the unit with the doors mostly closed and still be safe. I've been leaving the door well cracked open when suing the heater so far but that limits how well it heats. It is amazing how much heat those propane construction heaters can make from a BBQ tank.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I stitched the frames to the hull using tie wraps and filled the holes from the outside when flipped.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

I may be wrong but i don't think there is such thing as a blush free epoxy.Some are less prone to it but given the right conditions it can happen.

Nice work on the boat,build on!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Tungsten wrote:I may be wrong but i don't think there is such thing as a blush free epoxy.Some are less prone to it but given the right conditions it can happen.

Nice work on the boat,build on!
Silvertip laminating resin claims "Cures without forming an amine blush with either the fast or slow hardener." No personal experience with it yet but it seems like that would be a risky statement to make if it weren't true. It was something I wasn't sure about either though.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700/Tungsten, we have never had a complaint on the System Three Silver Tip Resin. I hope SeaSlug see's this thread as he only uses System Three Silver Tip Products and can give you a better detailed discussion of his use and results with the S3 ST line of products!! Happy holidays, Jeff

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

After 24 hours you would need to sand it to be on the safe side for a good bond.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fishgitr, drop me a note or call me the day before you stop by the shop as I want to meet you!! Hope you enjoy your cruise to the Bahamas!! Jeff