Build Progress - Panga 25

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Build Progress - Panga 25

Post by Fuzz »

What way are you trying to post pictures? If you need to you can email them to me and I will post them on your thread.
If you do send me a PM and I will give you my email address. I will help as I want to see pictures. :lol:

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

I was using the "attachments" tab below to attach the picture files, but that seems to have ceased to function! Now all I get when I try to upload a photo is the yellow exclamation triangle of death. I know that there's another, more complicated way to do attach pictures, so I guess I'll have to learn that way.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

subbie95 wrote:I was using the "attachments" tab below to attach the picture files, but that seems to have ceased to function! Now all I get when I try to upload a photo is the yellow exclamation triangle of death. I know that there's another, more complicated way to do attach pictures, so I guess I'll have to learn that way.
You may be over the 50MB limit. I have changed the attachment quota to unlimited, but with a 50mb file size limit. Try posting again.

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

Got all of the exterior seams taped today, everything went pretty well except there appear to be some air bubbles right along the joint that I can't seem to work out for the life of me. Are these a problem? If so, what do I do about them :doh:

PS - Thanks to the webmaster for fixing my picture posting issue! I'll keep the pictures coming going forward.
Attachments
Bubbles in joint.jpg
Taped seams from the bow.jpg
Taped seams from the side.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice progress!!! Happy holidays, Jeff

bateau-webmaster

The air bubbles are only a slight problem. What you will want to do, is to "slice" them off with a fresh razor blade, if you can't run the blade nearly parallel, under the surface, then use the tip of the blade to score the edges of the bubble, and peel out the glass on the inside. Then hit it with a sander, just a little bit to knock down any sharp edges, and throw a bit of putty on it. The small area without glass shouldn't make much difference, as you'll be putting wide cloth over it. I would wait to apply the putty until you are ready to put on the wide cloth, so that you can lay the glass on the wet putty, to save yourself effort.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Can't be sure just looking at the photo, but it's possible your chine edges were not rounded over enough to allow the tape to take the turn.

The glass work looks good, thoroughly wet out but not drenched with epoxy, nice and clean.
Hank

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

If those bubble are sealed in under the tape use a syringe (without needle) to inject some epoxy into them. Just drill a small hole on each end of the bubble and inject the epoxy. fast and easy. Might have to stick a little piece of tape over the holes to keep it from running out until cured.

bateau-webmaster

Fred in Wisc wrote:If those bubble are sealed in under the tape use a syringe (without needle) to inject some epoxy into them. Just drill a small hole on each end of the bubble and inject the epoxy. fast and easy. Might have to stick a little piece of tape over the holes to keep it from running out until cured.
This can work, I've thought of doing the same, and been told not to, I would use very slightly thickened epoxy, in case there is open weave in the bubble, and it would be best to use this method immediately after the resin tacks up, before it is fully cured, otherwise you will have a slightly weaker mechanical bond, and it may delaminate over time, with wear.

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 »

Now that everything is fully cured, it appears that I have a bunch of bubbles to deal with. I guess I didn't get the corners prepped good enough.....rookie mistake. I tried the razor blade, there's no chance that I'm cutting these out with that!!! This stuff is tough!! Looks like I'm stuck with grinding them out, filling them with a syringe or leaving them and carrying on.

What's the major concern with leaving them? If I drill some small holes in them won't they fill with epoxy during the glassing steps due to epoxy's gap filling nature? Looking for any option that doesn't have me grinding out half of what I've done.

Thanks.