CR13 build...I have altered the plan.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CR13 build...I have altered the plan.

Post by Corvidae »

I didn't go with a primer, just a 150 grit sanding and rustoleum top coat. Takes a few days to set up, but after that it's very solid. The main thing is getting it on there as soon as the epoxy is sandable so that it bonds. It's all slow cure epoxy so it's almost a week before full cure sets in. I was always too slow to work with the faster cure epoxies, so it works out.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Nice method. I might have to use that on some things. Never even considered trying to get the double bond on the topcoat.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

You're probably using fast cure epoxy a lot more often than I do. The window for getting the top coat on there would be a lot shorter. With the slow cure, I could still scratch the top coat off with my fingernail a couple days after painting. After a week, it's more likely to tear my fingernail than the other way around. This coat is a bit of an experiment too, I'm expecting to sand and repaint the bottom after a year of use. I want to see how it stands up to the abuse. The same goes for the oak rails and the tabernacle hinge. They're under two coats of epoxy and three coats of spar varnish. I want to see what a years worth of dock impacts and mast raisings does to everything, then adjust as needed.

bateau-webmaster

Very nice. Honestly it's too hot here for anything but slow most of the time. Definitely a cool build.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

That's right, I forget you guys are just up North of me. Got a suggestion for a sail maker? I have the plan for the Gunter rig for the OT16, but haven't decided on a place to order from yet.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

one option for sails

http://www.sailrite.com/

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Very impressed with the build and particularly the tabernacle.
I ended up putting light glass on the gunwales of my V10 and then adding a rubber rub rail as well. I was concerned that once you ding the varnish and epoxy, a water stain will soon appear. As it turns out, dinging the gunwale is pretty easy...but I have a rowboat, not a sailboat, so you won't have those weapons flailing about. I'm going to post some shots of my boat in another 6 months or so showing the details of wear and tear from the use I commonly give it.
Tony

bateau-webmaster

There is always the mainsail/jib for the CR13: http://bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=CR13_SL

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Aha! You do have a sail section, I didn't see it when I went looking earlier. Maybe add it to the product section menu on the side bar there?

Anywho, I already have the spar set for the gunter rig made. Also I have a sail set very similar to the one on the CR13 plans, it's from a snark Wildflower. Unlike a typical Snark, it's a main/jib setup of nearly the same size as the CR13. The bonus to the snark setup is that the mast is split in the middle with a bayonet connector. So instead of lugging around a 20' mast, it's a pair of 10' poles that are barely longer than the boom. Which is what I'm hoping to have with the gunter rig as well, just without a jib. Also, I'd like a much smaller sail, the one I have doesn't have any reef points. It's way too much sail for me to single hand in high winds.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Finally pulled out a tape measure on the sail/jib I'm using, and it's 83sq. ft. as opposed to the 102sq. ft. that the CR13 plan actually calls for. Turns out even that is too much for me to single hand in winds over 20mph. It's a fun ride with two people, and the bigger sail would probably be a blast. It's just too much for me to handle both sails and the tiller solo.

So I think I'll take advantage of being able to swap out the tabernacle box that I made to handle different masts. I can run a gunter rig, maybe with a reef, and easily cruise solo, or pull out the main/jib set for having some fun with a buddy.