D5 Plans can't figure out measurements

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
tlscott_pei

D5 Plans can't figure out measurements

Post by tlscott_pei »

HI There

I've started to build the D5 dinghy and run into some trouble interpreting the plans for the bottom and side panels. I don't see how to determine the location of the middle measurement (497) from either end of the panel.

Also have the same problem on the side panels. How far is 339 and 318 from either end of the panel? I'm guessing if the overal panel length is 2390 and the stations are even spaced they would be 593mm from the stern. Total guess though at this point.

Thank you for supplying a free plan. The little boat looks terrific. Hate to bug someone on a free plan but can't seem to proceed.

thanks
Terry Scott[image]

bateau-webmaster

Re: D5 Plans can't figure out measurements

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Terry,

Sorry, I'm not sure if you have the right plan. The D5 is $45 on bateau.com, and there is also the D4, which is a free plan. Can you please verify that you are looking at the D5 from bateau?

tlscott
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tlscott »

Here's the PDF plans. They are D5 plans but maybe they are not your product?

[image]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... free_m.PDF[/image]

tlscott
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tlscott »

Here's the original link location. I did retrieve from your site. wasn't sure so I checked

http://bateau2.com/free/D5_free_m.PDF

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Typ. means typical, or repeated unless specified otherwise.
Hank

tlscott
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tlscott »

Thanks Pee Wee. I think that simple explanation gives me what I need. I'll try to upload what I interpret as the complete measurements now to my gallery.

[image]http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... play_media[/image]

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

BTW, I replied by email but the largest panel is the side panel.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Leatherneck1961
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Leatherneck1961 »

That is the D4 in metric, I used the same principles for lofting a plan from and offset table. make sure you set your center line so all measurements go off of that. I have built one but of lower cost materials. In the humid area I live in mold infested the voids and eventually the boat rotted. It was a sturdy little thing and would scoot under oar.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Hopefully he's finished the boat by now. :D

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Leatherneck1961 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:14 pm That is the D4 in metric, I used the same principles for lofting a plan from and offset table. make sure you set your center line so all measurements go off of that. I have built one but of lower cost materials. In the humid area I live in mold infested the voids and eventually the boat rotted. It was a sturdy little thing and would scoot under oar.
No, the linked pdf is definitely a D5, the dagger board case and center seat are different on the D4 plans. At some point they did release a free version of the D5 metric plans; I ran across the link at some point while I was building mine but I had already bought the plans. Never regretted buying the full version since the detail was better, but I figure the free plans being out there means I can build another one if I ever want to.