SOBX Solo Flats Skiff SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Solo Flats Skiff SK14

Post by BrianC »

Thanks Larry! I've read several of your build threads and have used several of your methods (more in the future!). In particular, stacking the wood when cutting to get identical mirror image parts.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Pictures from yesterday -

Inside filleting all done - ready for taping:
Image Image
This took much longer than I was expecting - a total of about 7 hours for about 100' of fillets. It was also a big consumer of epoxy since there were some 1/4"+ gaps on some of the forward frames.

Taping done between the transom and frame D:
Spending time making smooth fillets really pays off when taping. I had a few rough spots where it was really hard to get the tape to lay flat. Next time I'll smooth those off more before taping. Would something like a Rockwell Sonicrafter be a good choice for this?

It was getting cooler as I taped - the warmer epoxy attracted quite a few mosquitos who are now a permanent part of the build:

After hull assembly, filleting, and about 1/3 on interior taping, my epoxy supply is down by about 3/4 of a gallon:
While the plans call for 1.5 gallons total, I'm guessing that I'll use a bit more than that!
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Don’t worry about using more epoxy than the plans call for. I think everyone uses more, most of us a lot more. The only one who did not was Capeman on his canoe. He was fanatic on keeping the weight down.

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Brian, I see that you're already finished with the fillets and taping, but if you decide to build another boat in the future it's much easier to do the taping soon after you do the fillets, after the fillets firm up a little, than the fiberglass cloth pushes easily into the still soft epoxy fillet using a small diameter roller. Makes it easier, and you get a nice strong bond also. Mike

topwater

Post by topwater »

I agree with Mike and will also save a bunch of time like waiting for the epoxy to cure , sanding, cleaning up . Sanding
fillets especially in corners is no fun and time consuming .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Would something like a Rockwell Sonicrafter be a good choice for this?
Yes, it is the perfect tool for that, and lots of other things. Every boat shop need one, and mine ain't for sale :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the pointers on taping - it sure would have been easier to tape onto partially set fillets. What type of roller do people use to press the tape into the fillet? Not sure what is meant by "small diameter roller."

The weather has turned cooler for a few days and that has put a temporary hold on further epoxy work. Here are the things that I think come next when it warms up:
1. rub rails made from strips of 6mm ply
2. cutting and glueing sole cleats
3. fiberglass on bottom
4. skeg (material??)

Should I install the sole before doing the bottom? This boat is really easy to flip so multiple flips are not an issue. I've been puzzling over the grab rail - buy or build (out of ply)? As for position, several threads have talked about taking the dimension off the drawing. I went ahead and put on dimensions - here it is - dimensions are in meters:

From this, it looks like the grab rail is just about centered over frame C.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Use the grabrail location from the plans please, above C.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I couldn't find any specification for the grab rail location on the plans. That is why I took it off the (undimensioned) side view since there isn't a view that shows both the position of the grab rail relative to the frames.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

BrianC wrote:Thanks for the pointers on taping - it sure would have been easier to tape onto partially set fillets. What type of roller do people use to press the tape into the fillet? Not sure what is meant by "small diameter roller."
I like those and prefer them way better than the foam ones, when you are done let them dry on the holder not touching anything that way you get a nice sanding holder for the fillets
Some build grab rails from pool noodles do a search you will find it here