FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by willg »

The description of Gel Magic in the bateau store mentions slow and regular hardeners, but I don't know if the regular is an option. I've gotten two orders of GM so far from bateau and never looked into the regular. I don't see it on the System Three site either, so maybe it's not produced anymore.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700/Willg, I am only aware of a Systems Three GelMagic slow hardener, no regular or fast. Is there a new product that I have missed? Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Jeff, I'm only aware of one hardener as well, it's just interesting that it's called out as slow since the quickfair and ezfillet don't have a speed listed at all. I do wish there was a fast hardener, since it hardens much slower than the other silvertip products.

Why it's called slow I don't know.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Has to do with the chemistry. The "slow" hardener gives more working time which can be an advantage when using it as a glue. Also tends to make a "tougher" finished polymer. Compare that to the other products like quick fair which doesn't need to be tough as it is mainly for cosmetic filling and speed of cure is an advantage for sanding as the resin is a little more "brittle".

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Guys, I just checked and I can only buy GelMagic with a "slow" hardener, no options!! System Three is coming out with a new GelMagic product, it is now going to come in a semi-paste type product much like the Quick Fair or Easy Fillet products!! Hope to have it in January!! Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Makes sense browndog, like the strongest epoxy they make has to be post cured at a higher temp, and the gelmagic can be for added strength. I actually plan to post cure my boat a bit since I'm building in and out of the acceptable temp range. I'll try to get it nice and hot at a few stages to be sure everything i finished curing.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Jeff wrote:Guys, I just checked and I can only buy GelMagic with a "slow" hardener, no options!! System Three is coming out with a new GelMagic product, it is now going to come in a semi-paste type product much like the Quick Fair or Easy Fillet products!! Hope to have it in January!! Jeff

I'm OK with that. Though I'd like a faster cure I like the GM so much I will keep using it whenever I see the need. Maybe this quote from the bateau page on GM is based on old info: "Two hardeners are available: Regular and Slow (for extra-long working time). "

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Imgur Album
I finished tracing the bulwarks from the sides and I'm waiting for the joints in the bulwarks to finish curing. I got my butt joints down to 25ml of mixed epoxy per foot of seam(1 side) using the 6 inch biax tape. Seems about right to me, my earlier joints were definitely epoxy heavy. Might see If I can get down to closer to 20ml/foot on initial application.

Once those finish curing I can put them aside and start building the mold on the strongbacks. While I wait a few questions...

The plans for the the raised sheer say "Build the hull and epoxy glue the bulwarks to the hull sides with the hull right side up, after installation of the sole." but the plans also have you install the rubrail as you finish the outside before flipping, saying "Install the rubrail. It is important to install the rubrail before turning the hull over."

I was assuming I would install the rubrail along the top of the bulwark not the top of the normal side panels so when should I install the rub rail?

Also I can't find a mention of the waterline on the plans for painting purposes. Are people using the baseline or an offset from the baseline?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Install the rubrail along the sheer, not on the lower panel.
You can tunr the boat over without the rubrail, just be careful.

Yes, the waterline is parallel to the baseline. See the specs and set the draft accordingly: the plans say that the designed waterline is at a draft of 7". Draw the line at 7".
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Thanks Jacques,
jacquesmm wrote: Yes, the waterline is parallel to the baseline. See the specs and set the draft accordingly: the plans say that the designed waterline is at a draft of 7". Draw the line at 7".
I see that's in the study plans not the pdf plans, I'll check those as well from now on. It looks like the deepest mold is 7.25" below the baseline, add a quarter inch for plywood and that would put the draft as 7.5" below the baseline if we ignore fiberglass. So If I use the 7" draft the waterline is 0.5" below the baseline. Is my math right there?