FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by joe2700 »

Alright, got a good day of work in. Added a gallery with descriptions of everything I did. Time for a shower.
Imgur Album
Tomorrow I'll glass the other side of the side panel seams and start putting the strongback and molds together.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Good start , what's in the 5 gal jug :?:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700, nice start!!! Topwater, 5 gallon jug of System Three SilverTip Resin!!! Jeff

topwater

Post by topwater »

Jeff that would have come in handy when i ordered the 30 gallons i used on my boat :wink:
Sorry for the hijack Joe.... Build on :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

topwater wrote:Jeff that would have come in handy when i ordered the 30 gallons i used on my boat :wink:
Sorry for the hijack Joe.... Build on :!:
Don't know I think the gallon packages are a lot easier to work with, probably more shipping, can't remember how many boxes I had, still I would prefer the gallon packages, Do they give package options now?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

With the 5 gallon jug I plan to just use it to keep refilling the 1 gallon jug I put a pump in. As long as you have 1 of the single gallon bottles I don't think the big one is a problem. If it was just the 5 gallon, it would be unwieldy.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700, perfect!! We never send a five gallon container unless there is also a one gallon container to work from!!! Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

An album of some progress from today:
Imgur Album
I have the garage cooking up to about 90 before I leave for dinner, hoping the bottoms are dry enough to flip and do the other sides when I get home. Also maybe that will get the gelmagic from yesterday to finally finish curing, the stuff takes much longer than the epoxy, it's still gummy.

The temp last night dropped as low as 50 but no lower, which is right at the minimum for the gelmagic. It cured enough to get the transom up off the floor which might help, since the floor is cooler.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

I have used a lot of Gel Magic on my build and really like it. I have used the slow hardener but if I were to start over I'd go with the regular. Waiting for the slow to set up has delayed my progress a few times. Enjoy your build!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

willg wrote:I have used a lot of Gel Magic on my build and really like it. I have used the slow hardener but if I were to start over I'd go with the regular. Waiting for the slow to set up has delayed my progress a few times. Enjoy your build!
Is there fast and slow gelmagic hardener or are you talking about the laminating resin? I was wondering because the gel magic I got has a slow sticker on it but there was no fast option when I bought it and I can't find any mention of speeds on the system 3 website.

I am using the fast laminating resin, not a hard choice up here. I can just open the door if I need more working time.