mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by mataus »

it not a photo in the post, but i think that link allows people to look at the photos i have taken so far

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

ERROR
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

is what comes up if i attach them direct to the post

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

From your pictures it looks like your plywood is 3 ply - most 6 mm marine BS1088 plywood is 5 ply. The picture below is the rounded edge near the transom on my SK14 build:

The surface veneer looks good though - I'd suggest doing the boil test to be sure that the glue is going to hold up: take a small piece and boil it for a while; if it holds together the glue is good. If it passes, I'd suggest giving all edges a good coating of epoxy before assembly. Also fill and edge exposed voids with epoxy+wood flour mix. Others with more experience might have other suggested corrective actions.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Thanks Brian C

Thats the sort of info I was after.
My initial thoughts were, this is just a trial and it is only little in terms of time and money so if it didn't work...
lesson learnt. But I am really enjoying the build (I know only early days, i have not had to sand anything yet)
and i am getting "attached" even though its just a pile of timber bits at the moment. My next thought was
turf it all, wait until i get back to the boat shop and buy the expensive stuff. I have cut all the panels and now
spliced half of the long panels, so if the brains trust of the forum thinks it would be ok then i will probably push on.
I was thinking of taping all seams, and glassing with 6oz the interior as well. I know this will add weight but increase strength also (?).
the epoxy system these guys sell also have a additive that is added to first lot of epoxy applied to get better penetration into the timber so I was going to do this as well.

looks like i will be boiling wood after work tomorrow night!
Thanks again guys

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Ive never seen or read about any epoxy that has an "additive", this most likely is a solvent such as xylene.
None of the quality epoxy's over here recommend adding thinners.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Hey Tungsten,
I have not heard about any so this is all new to me.
I looked up the product and it said:

"(product x ) is a thin epoxy liquid which reacts with (marine epoxy name) to reduce its viscosity. This enables it to penetrate deeply into a timber surface...................... (product x) is not a solvent and does not evaporate, as such liquids can leave a porous layer which would permit easy penetration of water."

There are a couple of other unusual things about this product like the mixing ratios.
I picked this epoxy system not as an informed decision but as it is the system of the local guys (about an hours drive away) and as it is a boat building shop it is a one stop for me and they have plenty of helpful info.

Using different products has been raising some concerns for me, even before i start making mistakes! If I lived in the states I would have loved to do a kit for the first time round. Cost of goods and shipping is a killer down here.

All the panels are now spliced and I should get some time to start stitching this weekend. I s it recommended to sand the epoxy splice or put it on the inside then most of it is out of sight?

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Well if its tried and tested then your good.Generally the part A is pretty consistent the part B can differ greatly in color and viscosity between brands.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

I have been pottering in the shed of a night. It is starting to look like a boat, the process of stitching is very rewarding. it is like the first time you see one of those 3d pictures when you are staring and staring then the picture jumps out at you.

Brian C. I boiled some timber. I brought the water to boil then put a couple of small pieces in after 3o mins if boiling i could get the 2 outer layers off by running a scalpel under them but the 3 inner layer were breaking before the glue would give. I am not sure if this is a pass or not.(?) :doh:

Unless the knowledge base here tells me otherwise I think I will proceed forward.
I will leave a link to a photo of where i am upto. Next I will laminate/glue the transom then hopefully sunday afternoon spot glue between the sutures.
mat

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Real clean and neat looking work there Mat. I do have one question. Are there gaps between the panels for the glue? It looks like you did such a good job cutting out the parts that there is no gap.