mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by jacquesmm »

mataus wrote: . . .
Brian C. I boiled some timber. I brought the water to boil then put a couple of small pieces in after 3o mins if boiling i could get the 2 outer layers off by running a scalpel under them but the 3 inner layer were breaking before the glue would give. I am not sure if this is a pass or not.(?) :doh:
If it delaminates, it is not adequate for boat building.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Thanks guys,

This timber thing has been playing on my mind so I will just turf it and start again.

Fuzz, yes there are gaps but it is pretty tight on the keel.

If I buy 6 new sheets should i remeasure and cut or should i use the old panels as templates and just trace around??

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Your panels look so good I would use them as templates. If you do not think you have enough gap a sander would cure that quickly. I think you are making a good move to get new wood. No reason to use less than top quality on one of the few places you can not replace.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Mateus, look at the AS2722 Hoop pine Marine ply from Boatcraft Pacific in Brisbane. Just Google the name. They will ship to the Gold Coast.

Cheers

Lee

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Hey Lee,

Boatcraft Pacific are the guys that I am using for all my gear. The problem was, that a storm was brewing when I first went up to pick up my materials. This is why i didn't originally get the timber that day. As Its only an hour away I didn't get it shipped i just drove my ute (pick up) up. Then I got impatient and wanted to start, that is is when o sourced some ply locally. I have since been back up and brought timber off those guys it has put me a few weeks back and cost a small amount, but I don't think it was a complete waste, as the second time round everything was significantly better. I am currently in the process of pulling the sutures and sanding the spot welds. I think I read in your thread somewhere you are a vet. Is this correct and are you still practicing? I love your thread it is one main reasons I have started this project. Can I enquire about the process of getting the builders plate for rego on your boat? I will need plates if the sk14 has a outboard larger than a 4hp (need to check this).

Thanks for the help mate

mat.

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP »

hi Mat , i live on the sunshine coast,Caloundra, building FL 14 almost finished . I have a 6 Hp motor . You don't need the VN plate because you build it your self, called QLD transport and motoring . fill out the form pay your money and thats it.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Hey guys,

I am still plugging away. I am not the fastest builder but i am enjoying it. I have finished filleting (and often taping. I know probably more than needed,i put tape on more than just the keel internally) and epoxying the inside (see photo attached). This weekend I am sanding with 60grit in area that are already epoxied and attaching the cleats for the sole to lie on. I am not sure If i will use an elaberate clamp system or hot glue for the lateral cleats and the ones against the transom and bulkhead b.

I have seen a 8 hp honda second hand on "gumtree" (like craigslist in the usa) for what i thought was a good price. I saw the youtube video with the 8hp 2stroke yamaha from skiff life and it looked good. 8 is listed as the strongest output for an outboard, but, the weight of 42kg worried me on such a small boat (2stroke 8hp yamaha is 26kg i think from memory). the 6hp in varies brand drop down to single cylinder and about 28kg depending on brand. I don't want a speed boat but i do want it to easily plane and i do plan on covering some larger bodies of water. My lack of experience/competence makes me think that my boat will be heavy then specified in the notes so i was leaning towards a 6 or 8.

I was just wondering what the smarter people on this forums thoughts were?

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Looking great!

nev
New Poster
New Poster

Post by nev »

Hi Matt, i wouldnt go for the honda, there are heavy and dont rev out like the 2 strokes. I dont think you would want over 30 kg on the back of these little boats. I am happy with a 5hp 20kg 2stroke on mine. Have tried a couple of larger motors that i own but the 5 suits me better, plus no need for rego in nsw for a 5hp. If you really want power the 9.8hp tohatsu 2 stroke is only 26 kg and are a great little motor, allways a few second hand around. Power to weight is what its all about with small boats.These are top little boats for us in Australia, have fun with it. Nev