mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by mataus »

Hey Nev,

Thanks for the info mate. I checked the qld transport info and it says 3kw (4hp) or over needs rego. I have thought of keeping it as an electric boat
as we have two local dams that are electric only (Hinge and Carrie hall). I have a 54b transom mount already and a 100amp/hr deep cycle. I priced the torqeedo on the weekend but they are out of my price range. living on the gold coast there are lots of protected waterways that is why i started to lean towards petrol. I was thinking a 5 or 6 hp (2 or 4s) as 2 other dams are 4s only (Wivenhoe and Lenthalls) i liked this option. At this horsepower the 6s are about the same price and weight the 2strokes , but are 2 cylinders instead of 1. It would be nice to be able to try 2 or 3 different options prior to purchase. I would not go over the rec 8hp even though i know they are the same block in many brand as higher output motors.

Nev with the 5 does the sk14 plane easy? Do you have any sort of performance figures?

Last year I put decks in a 3.75 v- nose aluminium punt. it has a 15hp usa built mercury 2 stroke. I was great with 1 or 2 up pre decks. now its great with 1 but with 2 guys and gear it really struggles. So although i don't want a speed boat i guess i am worried about the weight of my build and i don't want to repeat this issue.
Thank again mate.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Hi Guys,
I am in the process of laying the foam. I have a question. The foam stiffens the hull, acts as buoyancy in case the hull is breached and as it is space occupying stops pressure from air pressure changes due to temperature changes. My question is does the cell need to be perfectly full to support the sole.
In the following photo you can see there is a few mm gap in places

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... djkvnl.jpg

In the aft middle cell as it was my first the pour was done in a few stages It didn't finish neat as you can see.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... wf8ehy.jpg

Is the sole structurally sound by itself or does it rely on the foam. Will it sag or depress when stood on if i don't try to "top it up" to get it perfect.
Or am i overthinking all of this. Excuse my ignorance.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Sole should be pretty well structurally sound. You will definitely want to encapsulate the foam where it is cut, with at least neat epoxy (you could also thicken it, and use it to help glue down the sole, might be able to fill up that gap if you are worried about it).

The only drawback of having spaces that are unoccupied by foam, is that water could collect there, but as long as your sole is laminated, and the compartments are laminated all around there shouldn't be any chance of that.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

mataus
Frequent Poster