C-17 Our first Build !

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: C-17 Our first Build !

Post by Parkrat »

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

I gotta admit Parkrat, Thats the best one I've ever seen !

The cut plywood should be here early next week!
Then after a short Christmas break the fun starts!
First one, makes me a little nervous !

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If you right click on the full size image and copy image address, then paste that into your post, highlight it and click on the IMG button, you get this:

Good luck with your build.
Hank

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Thank you very much my friend!
I definitely will be using that.
Im a little challenged on forums. :D

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

ImageWell, we took delivery of all the panels and after fighting -5 windchill we got them into the basement where I'll be assembling panels before bringing them upstairs to the jig. Some of the tabs on the pre cuts seperated prematurely in the 40+ mile wind gusts. That only slightly confuses my life as I'll be spending most of january identifying parts and determining which need splicing or glueing and trying to figure out what goes where !
I cant stress enough how nice the pieces were cut and how fast they got here !
Once I start to figure out where they belong I'm guessing theyll be a lot nicer to work with than any plywood I've used before!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nice pile of lumber. :D May I suggest that you go into your profile and add your location to it. This will help us with questions on epoxy curing. There may also be another builder or more in your area that you could visit.

Good luck as you get started on your build. Please feel free to ask plenty of questions.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Good advice Tom ! I will do that. But just for now I'm building in SCRANTON, PA. (on top of a mountain called East Mtn.) It's like the tundra here in winter. What i'm planning is to make the jig in our garage and the pieces that have to be spliced or glued ahead of time will be done in my moms basement accross the street which is at least 70 Degrees (my moms almost 90! likes the heat up !!!).
Since I'm new to this, all advice is VERY appreciated!
I figured since its the holidays im going to continue to study the plans and parts identification and acyually start gluing in the latter part of January. Believe it or not it will be a bit less cold and by then I should have learned enough not to put the transom on the nose !!!!
And thank you my friend !

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

David, if you have questions about parts identification, post here. There should be a package of printed files in the box that shows the nesting of the kit pieces. It is very close to the nesting of the standard plans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Thank you Jacques! I think every time I look at the nesting diagrams I get a little more familiar. some of the tabs broke loose in transit so I have to match the individual pieces. I think if I stay focused on one step at a time I should do OK figuring out where most pieces go.
If I get stuck I'm not shy, I will post lots of questions i'm sure! And It's nice to have you and everyone else to advise me. It takes a lot of pressure off!!!
So far my wife, Deb and I are very excited. I thank you for all your guidance !!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

David516, you guys have a great holiday season and try and stay warm up there!!! We will be watching your build!! Jeff