Jason fs 18 cnc build rounded chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jason fs 18 cnc build rounded chine

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, I show the number of layers on the plans or in the notes.
Don't forget the overlaps with the wide fabric, see the drawings.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

Fiberglassed yesterday. Wife turned out to be better at this than me. I mixed she painted. Whole process took about two and a hal hours. At this point i have used two bottles of part a and one bottle of b. Curious to know if thats about right. Im thinking about the fairing and sanding it seems to me that will be a saturday after reading. Lools like a n hour two to aply three hours to curr and then hand sanding. I have an ro sander and i bought an inexpensive dlexible hand sander. Does one do the job better than the other? The videos i watched seem like most people use the longboard. I fiberglassed the whole outside of the boat, so ill prob need to order a bit more epoxy and fiberglass. The boat looks ok to my eyes of course they are inexperienced. Also it looks like the site uploads pice taken from the vertical aspect but less from the horizontal. I have quite a few pics showing the taping and etc id like to post but the website doesnt like them..hope everyone enjoys the super bowl.
1486320214306-1076992094.jpg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Yes, I noticed that when I view a pic in your posts is may appear horizontally, but when I click on it, it displays vertically. Strange.

It looks like you've got gallon jugs of both part a and part b, so it sounds like you're getting the mixes just right. If you were way off you'd be wondering why you couldn't sand the stuff!
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jason, very nice glass work to you and your wife!! Jeff

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

Is pine sufficient for the keel, or is it better to have a harder wood. I can only remember a couple posts about this and it seems to me that pine was used for the skeg. I found mahogany for the rub rail.

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

Jsheaffer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:10 pm Is pine sufficient for the keel, or is it better to have a harder wood. I can only remember a couple posts about this and it seems to me that pine was used for the skeg. I found mahogany for the rub rail.
How many oyster reefs are you going to run over? :)

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

As I recall the skeg on the FS18 is not that big. You can use pine but best is southern yellow pine old growth if you can find it at a local lumber yard. Then cover it with fiberglass and coat with the epoxy carbon mix like the rest of the hull bottom. A skeg is almost a replaceable part on a shallow water boat but you can do what you can to not replace it very often.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

Galveston Bay=Lots of oyster. Have beached a boat on a reef plenty of times. Thanks for the heads up.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The skeg isn't going to protect much from oysters.
One extra layer of glass and graphite coating will help.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

Thanks Jaques. Extra fiberglass it us.