Page 1 of 1

FS14_LS - CSotelo - Brazil

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm
by csotelo
Hello everyone,

I´m building FS14_LS to Peacock bass (Tucunaré) fishing in southeast of Brazil.

I fish in water reservoirs and spots are not far apart. The weather is stable during fishing season and only quick storms are expected in the afternoons.

Here, we use aluminum jon boats (from 5 to 6m + trailer) hard to accommodate in most garages (usually from 4,2 to 5,5m). Smaller models are too light, narrow and tippy.

FS14_LS looks a good choice in my case. I´ll use a carb 15 hp outboard + electric trolling motor. Most times I fish alone or with a buddy.

I´m looking at stickystuff and seaslug builds of same boat and so many others in this forum to get inspiration! :D :D :D

IMGUR Album: http://imgur.com/a/rynkm

Some Pics:

The standard ply sheet is 2,2x1,6m, so nesting was different.

I made all stations and double transom from one sheet of 10mm and bottom and sides from 3 sheets of 6mm.

No way to find wood flour here, I used saw dust and silica to weld the hull.

Silica made it hard to sand and shape. I used coarse a wood rasp, lots of 60 grid sand paper and my fairing "log". 8O

The double transom are too heavy, I made some braces to keep it aligned with strongback.

The seams was easy, but the cloth was a nightmare. :x :x
I tried the wet on wet process, made the seams, pre coated the hull and waited to It cure a little.
When unrolling the cloth it shifted the position and got stuck on wet sticky coat. I had to peel it off and adjust it again and again… almost lost the cloth. :x

From coating to wet both sides it took me 8 hours… 8O

The fishing spots I go are full of logs or rocks, so I glassed the sides with same cloth for extra protection.

Sharpening the chines

The rub rails will are made of eucalyptus (2x 5x1 cm).
It was very hard to bend then in the bow, I had to use boiling water to soften the wood in some places.

I had to pause the build due to family health issues and will restart in a week.

I´ll finish the rub rails and start the fairing.

As fairing compound I´ll use silica and hollow glass spheres.

If you guys have any hints I´ll be glad to listen.

Thanks!!

Re: FS14_LS - CSotelo - Brazil

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:09 pm
by Jeff
CSotelo, great build and excellent documentation of your work!!! Please update us when possible!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 pm
by csotelo
Thanks Jeff!

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:15 pm
by seaslug
Very nice job on the glass work, even with the problems you had. I can see this is going to be a nice boat when finished. Keep up the good work. Mike

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 am
by csotelo
Thanks Mike!

I´m sure I´ll copy your hatches design!

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:35 pm
by csotelo
Hello everyone,

I finished the rubrails and made the bed to u-bolt in the bow.

Working on fairing now... really boring part. Every time I fill a low spot, two more are created... Worst part till now.

I´m using 2 spreaders, one 15cm and a large 40cm. The fairing putty is 1 part silica, 4 parts hollow glass spheres and resin (10gr+40gr+300gr). I do long passes with large spreader and fix some areas with smaller.

I´m using a 6mm ply fairing board and a hand sander with 60 or 80 grid. After knock off the high spots I smooth everything with a RO sander with 60 grid.

Do you guys have any hints?

Thanks!!

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 pm
by Jeff
Very nice work CSotelo!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:05 am
by Dougster
Sure looks good to me. I work the same way: long board for fairing, RO sander for smoothing. It's tedious and I just go 'till I can't stand it any more and then finish smoothing with the RO one last time. I tend to quit too soon :oops: You've pushed through the hardest part I think. What primer will you use? If you can get S3 it sure is easy to work with.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:09 pm
by Eric1
Really nice work! That will be a great boat!! 8)

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:29 pm
by csotelo
Hey,

@Jeff, thanks!

@ Dougster, Thanks! I feel the same, always trying to get strengths to change the longboard sand paper one more time before go to RO. :lol:

I made one more fairing session this weekend (longboard, RO, putty again). After the next one I think just shaping the corners will be missing.

I don´t have access to S3 products here, I´ll use International's. Intergard EPA 632 primer and Perfection 709 paint. Even those are not easy to find.

I´m just wondering how primer cover scratches and pin holes... I´m looking at you SK 14 to get some ideas, It´s looking very good!

@Eric, Thanks! I saw you C21, looks great! I can´t imagine how hard must be fair a big boat like that!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm
by Eric1
csotelo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:29 pm @Eric, Thanks! I saw you C21, looks great! I can´t imagine how hard must be fair a big boat like that!
Thank You my Friend. It's not any harder to do than yours. It just more of it! :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm
by MrPaul
The boat looks really good! And you have a fireplace in your shop. Wish I had one in the winter.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 pm
by Mikem59
CSotelo, Agree with the others, your build is looking good. You asked about the primer covering pinholes, yes, to an extent. I don't have any close up pics from when I completed the fairing and then primed. I laid down two coats of primer and, that did manage to eliminate virtually all the pinholes. I did see a few really small ones. But once I painted, they did indeed disappear.

Mike

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 am
by csotelo
Hello guys,

@MrPaul Thanks! It´s not exactly a fireplace, it´s a barbecue grill. Very hot in the summer but helps to warn up in the winter! :D

@Mikem59 Good to know about the primer, I´ll try it in few weeks. Just saw your FS18, are really good! Thanks!

I got the paint and primer last week, ouch! $$$. So, I decided to put some effort on fairing before spend the expensive primer. :lol:

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

After a few rounds of fairing, I thought it was good to primer.

I saw some guys using guide coat over fairing and decided to give a try:

Well, best thing I did! It was worst than I imagined. So I spent 2 weekends sanding with long board to get it on shape.
In some places the fairing drank some ink what made it difficult to see the imperfections.

I did the primer this weekend. Never used it before, it´s very thick and dry fast. I did 2 coats.

I liked the results, now I can see the small dimples, pin holes, scratches.

I´ll fix then and give another coat.

I´m just deciding if I paint or flip it after primer. What do you guys think??

Thanks!

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 pm
by Fuzz
Boat is looking very nice. That boat should be easy to flip so if it was me I would flip it after primer. It is too easy to get something on the paint while doing the inside. With a good masking job you might not mess up the paint so in the end I think it is just up to what you want to do.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:25 pm
by Eric1
I'm with Fuzz, Boat this size I'd flip after primer.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:44 pm
by tcason
I find that Pre-taped Painter's Plastic is great to protect "finished" surfaces while painting varnishing other surfaces - it applies as easy as painter's tape.

Link:

https://smile.amazon.com/ScotchBlue-Pre ... +with+tape

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:03 pm
by csotelo
@ Eric and Fuzz, I´ll do as you oriented, It´s very difficult, to me, finish it without any scratch. I already scratched the primer walking around the boat with some tools in hand. Good it´s not the final paint! Thanks!

@ tcason, interesting product, I´ll try to find it locally. Amazon shipping to here is 4x the price of the roll. Thanks!

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:34 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I just flipped!

Easier than I thought.

I screwed the stingers end frames with cleats, set the ropes, lifted half boat with one hand and adjust the ropes with other, one end at time, then turn it. It slide gently on ropes.

lost some time adjusting strongback and bunks, but the boat is on level.

Inside ready to fillets and glass.

In the outside I did glass in Wet on Wet method and almost lost my wide cloth.

I´m considering make fillets+tapes, let it cure, sand and then glass the bottom.

Is it possible to sand the tapes with RO sander or I´ll need do it manually on the corners?

Thank!

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm
by Jeff
Great job on your FS14 LS!!! Good flip as well!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:15 pm
by Eric1
Wow! That is looking good.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:31 pm
by csotelo
Thanks, Jeff and Eric!

After fairing, everything looks easy and fast. I did the fillets and tapes on inside.

Now getting ready to glass the inside. By now I spent 14kg of epoxy, I used too much on outside working just with squeegee. I´ll try roll on inside.

Thanks!

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

Inside glassed. I used less epoxy than outside using nap roller to spread it.

I filled the weave in some points that will not have frames and stingers with fairing putty after glass got tacky. Less things to sand.

Now waiting everything cure to sand.

I´m considering extend the cockpit to 140cm or 150cm. I think it will more comfortable more around. Any ideias?

Thanks!

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:20 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I glued and glassed the stingers, one round, no sanding. I´m doing evething is possible to avoid sanding :D :D

After a lot of measuring and considerations I extended the cockpit to 150 cm. The original size was ok for one guy, but for two was to short in my opinion. Two large guys like me :D :D

Now i´m dry fitting the stations.

We don´t have the 2 part closed cell foam here, so i´m planning to fill the sole with high density styrofoam and fill the gaps with expanding foam.

Is that a good idea??

Thanks!

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:30 pm
by Eric1
csotelo wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:20 pm

We don´t have the 2 part closed cell foam here, so i´m planning to fill the sole with high density styrofoam and fill the gaps with expanding foam.

Is that a good idea??

Thanks!
I don't think I would do that. I believe it absorbs water and leads to rot.
By the way I pray I can build as nice as you have after the flip! That looks really Nice!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm
by csotelo
Hi Eric,

I´m reading about EPS, looks it absorbs about 4% of it´s weight if it´s high density. XPS absorb much less, it´s my second choice because it´s hard to find. I´ll look for other alternatives.

I´m seen you dedication in fairing, I gave up much earlier!! :lol: :lol: I´m sure you will do even better than I, my friend!

Thanks!!

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 am
by Eric1
Hey,
How goes the build?

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:35 pm
by csotelo
Hey Eric,

I made the fillets and glassed the stations.

Started dry fitting the cleats for sole and decided dry fit everything before glue. So I got the ply to soles and decks and cut then.

Now I´ll get the wood for hatches frames. I´m thinking about 2,5x5,5 cm timber. Looks strong enough stand my weight.

This will keep me busy until I decide how to fill the under sole. :lol:

I´m seen your fairing job, It´s getting good! The boat is so smooth that you will not even need primer :lol: :lol:

Regards, man!

Some Pics:

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:33 pm
by Eric1
WOW! You are moving right along!!

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:05 pm
by stickystuff
Why the low transom??? :doh: :doh:

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm
by csotelo
Hi Ken,

Here in Brazil, the 15" shaft is the standard.

It´s almost impossible find an engine from 15 to 30 hp with 20" shaft.

My target was a two stroke Mercury or Mariner 15hp with tiler shift with 34 kg.

Last month I got Merc used for just for a few hours ( almost "brand new" ), just needing a carb cleaning.

Regards,

Carlos

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I´m stuck in building due to heavy rains these weeks and just glued the floor cleats.

Because of my lack of woodworking skills and tools I decided to buy plastic hatches. :roll:

I got some from Seaflo and they looks very sturdy.

Now I´m planning deck framing as image below. It does not include hatches back plates..

My doubt is if theses frames and back plates will be enough to support a seat to a 300 pounds guy during fishing? :doh:

I´ll not ride the boat seated on then.

Blue = 2,4 x 5,7 cm wood.
Green = 10mm plywood frames.
Red = 2 layers 6mm playwood backplate.

Seat pedestal base 7x7" 3/4 hole.
Pedestal plates (2 layers 6mm playwood)
Stern: about 30 x 60 cm
Bow: about 44 x 50 cm

Bow hatches 37 x 27 cm
Stern hatch 60 x 35 cm

Thanks!!

Carlos

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 pm
by Jeff
Carlos, nice looking hatches!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 pm
by Eric1
Nice hatches Carlos! I'm not sure if I'll make mine or buy them. They are a lot of work. The boat is looking good too!

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 pm
by csotelo
Thanks Jeff!

Thanks Eric, It´s a difficult decision, I choose to buy because I never used a router and I don´t think I could reach a professional look at first try.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:45 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

Finally I finished the cleats. This weekend I cut the hatches and started the framing.

Sorry to ask again, but o you guys know if the frames I planned below will be enough?

I don´t want to add more wood than needed but I´m scare just to think in hear a crack when stand on decks.

Blue = 2,4 x 5,7 cm wood.
Green = 10mm plywood frames.
Red = 2 layers 6mm playwood backplate.

Seat pedestal base 7x7" 3/4 hole.
Pedestal plates (2 layers 6mm playwood)
Stern: about 30 x 60 cm
Bow: about 44 x 50 cm

Bow hatches 37 x 27 cm
Stern hatch 60 x 35 cm

Thanks!!

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm
by jacquesmm
Put some small frames under the gunwales in the middle of the cockpit and one floor frame under the sole in the same place.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 pm
by seaslug
Jacques is right that you will need support under the gunwales. but I'm assuming you will have rod holders underneath that can also be the supports..... My main concern is not with your backing plates for the pedestal seats, although I would go much thicker than double 6mm. 2 thicker backing plates won't add any weight to the boat, and will give you a lot more wood to anchor your bolts or screws. A big mistake builders make is not framing the deck properly resulting in a deck that will sag under the weight of a person standing on deck. All the blue lines in your diagram should be at least 1 1/2" tall, I prefer 2", and at least 1/2" thick, so it is like a beam if you're familiar with house construction. Just think of the stringers, which are about 5" tall to support the sole, They are essentially a floor beam, and you need to have deck beams that are not as big, but if you can physically bend the frame you're intending on using, than your deck will sag under your weight. You should also have your pedestal seat backing plates sandwiched between 2 deck beams.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 pm
by csotelo
Thanks Jacques,

I extended the cockpit to 150 cm and put the floor frame (C) in the middle. It´s omitted in the drawing. I´ll do rod holders and ad at least 2 frames under the gunwales.

Mike, thanks for the explanation.

I´m using 1 x 2" beams in back deck (1 meter gap between transom and D frame) and 7/8 x 1 7/8 in bow (75 cm gap between B and A frame). I just went to the shop, put 2 cleats 1 meter a part, one beam over and stepped on it! No sag, now I can sleep in peace! :lol: :lol:

I got an extra sheet of 6 mm ply to test before start the building so I will add one more layer on backing plates (18mm). I´ll sandwich it between beams as you oriented.

Thanks a lot!

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:39 am
by Eric1
Carlos, You are doing a great job with the boat! 8)

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:17 pm
by csotelo
@Eric! Thank you my friend!

This weekend with intermittent rain was a PITA to work in the boat, it´s secured from it but everything from my waist down got wet :x :x

I did the bow framing as indicate by Seaslug. Every part passed to "Stand on it" test :lol:

I also did 2 coats of tinted epoxy and doesn't liked the results. It´s supposed to be "Sand" color but looks white and don´t cover too much.

Now I´m dry fitting the stern parts.

I cut a slot in the transom, just the glass and first layer of ply (about 3mm) and it holds the beams really good.

The under sole will be filled with EPS boards. No way to get 2 part closed cell foam here and local builders use EPS or other weird things
(ex: plastic Coke bottles) to get flotation.

I made a test with caned foam to fill gaps and it glued well on EPS. I don´t want the EPS blocks free and banging around.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 pm
by cape man
Looking great.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 am
by Eric1
Carlos, You are doing a great job on the build. I wish you could get the foam but you are adapting and overcoming. Sometimes you have to do with what you have. Rock on Brother. 8)

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:14 pm
by csotelo
Thanks Cape Man and Eric!

I had a lot of work on past weekends and didn´t got much done.

But I got chase tubes installed, EPS blocks glued, sole backing plates glued and 3 coats of epoxy.

Now I´m planning the motorwell. A lot of doubts about it. I opened a separate thread an any inputs will be helpfull!!

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 36#p395536

Thanks!!

Carlos

Some pics

Chase Tubes:

EPS dry fitted:

I calculated 160 liters of EPS plus a small can of foam.

Sole glued and coated. The blue masking tape don´t soak in resin and I could remove it after 2 days.

EPS cut outs for backing plates.

The sole drain recess as Seaslusg did in his boat:

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 pm
by Eric1
Good to see you posting! The Boat is coming along nicely too!

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

A lot of work and heavy rains are keeping out of build, but I did some progress.

I glued the stern frames.

Now I´m dry fitting the motorwell and backing plates for seat pedestal.

I think 3 layers bond together will be enough. It´s not as good as the ply I used in the hull but survived to boil test.

I also got the cooler, it will be a seat and a casting platform. Now I can place a ring or something on the sole to get it tied.

It´s the local version of YETI and survived to more than 300 pounds over it :lol:

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:00 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I got some time after work to glue, tape and glass the sole. I´m using 100g/m2 cloth to cover the sole and the rest of the boat, it´s really easy to wet.

I´m thinking use a 20 mm PVC tube to make the cockpit drain to transom, any concerns about it?

Thanks!

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 pm
by Jeff
CSotelo, really nice glass work!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:31 pm
by Eric1
Very Sexy! Carlos!! 8)

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:33 pm
by csotelo
Thanks Jeff!

Thanks, Eric and it´s just a glove thumb covering the chase tube ! :D :D

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:06 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I made some progress this weekend.

I drilled the ubolt holes on transom, the bolts are 10mm, I drilled 14mm and will fill, re-drill.

Now I´m working on gunwales. They will be strait and the size plans indicate. I´m trying some hod holders mock-ups to decide how to make then.

I appreciate any inputs in this subject. :D

Thanks!

Gunwales

Ubolts

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33 pm
by cape_fisherman
I don't like rod holders to be in-line on the horizontal. If I want the outboard rod, I would have to remove the inboard rod, get the other one out, and then replace the first rod.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 pm
by csotelo
I know, but I don´t have much choice.

I´ll put some vertical ones to rest the rod to get the fish on boat, but to me is a problem let it there and cast. I broke one rod in 45° holder in my kayak.

Also it´s very common to have thunder storms and carbon rods are very conductive, we don´t even fish during then. 8O 8O

This was last year, me my brother end a guide, sunny day. We got 30 min of thunders and then everything back to normal.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/5WbcPtZH3hE[/youtube]

One hour later:

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 pm
by Jeff
Nice catch after a little rain!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:16 am
by cape_fisherman
csotelo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 pm I know, but I don´t have much choice.

I´ll put some vertical ones to rest the rod to get the fish on boat, but to me is a problem let it there and cast. I broke one rod in 45° holder in my kayak.

Also it´s very common to have thunder storms and carbon rods are very conductive, we don´t even fish during then. 8O 8O

This was last year, me my brother end a guide, sunny day. We got 30 min of thunders and then everything back to normal.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/5WbcPtZH3hE[/youtube]

One hour later:

No, I didn't mean gunnel/flush mounted rod holders. I was strictly referring to the under gu nel storage you have. Keep them in the same location...just store them one above the other instead of beside one another.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 am
by Eric1
Carlos, He means like this. Left side of photo.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=28631

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:50 am
by csotelo
I got it, I´ll try to mockup something like this.

There´s no much space under gunwale (about 21cm) but I think it can fits 2 small baitcasting reels.

Thanks guys!

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:11 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I tried to put the rod holders in vertical, but no chance.

With just 21cm, even the small baitcasting reels touch the sole, so I´ll keep then horizontal.

I cut the parts, made the hole and fit the tubes.

Also decided to drain the cockpit to transom with a 20mm PVC tube filleted and glassed to the hull. If it cracks the glass will hold it a little.

Now I´m fairing again... :? :?

Need to get this and motorwell done to close the decks.

This time I´m using a very loose putty in thin layers in a hope to avoid sanding.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:17 pm
by Eric1
Carlos, Sorry the vertical rod holders didn't work for you. Your boat is looking really nice.
Maybe your fairing trick will work. I tried that but I still had to sand.
Keep Rocking!!

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:49 am
by csotelo
I´m already sanding :lol: But I hope it will a little less with thin coats.

Thanks!!

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 am
by csotelo
Hello,

Here is the progress of these weeks.

I glued the backing plate for stern seat pedestal, the support for rod tubes, did 3 coats of tinted epoxy on stern compartment and stern deck, cut and glued the hatches stiffeners for front deck, two rounds of fairing on cockpit and closed the motorwell.

Small things, but time consuming.

To tint epoxy I´m using powdered titanium dioxide, much better than paste pigment. 5% in weight gives an uniform matte white finish.

The trick is to mix it with resin before add hardener and roll during warm weather.

I add the powder to small amount of resin, mix it until it get uniform, than add the remaining resin, mix again and finally add hardener.

If you add in mixed resin or roll it in cold weather (nights here 10°C) it gives odd results.

Some Pics:

Regards,

Carlos

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:55 am
by Eric1
You have been busy!! That is looking so nice. Great job Carlos!! :D

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 am
by pee wee
csotelo wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 am
To tint epoxy I´m using powdered titanium dioxide, much better than paste pigment. 5% in weight gives an uniform matte white finish.

The trick is to mix it with resin before add hardener and roll during warm weather.

I add the powder to small amount of resin, mix it until it get uniform, than add the remaining resin, mix again and finally add hardener.

If you add in mixed resin or roll it in cold weather (nights here 10°C) it gives odd results.

Regards,

Carlos
Great tip, Carlos! Thanks, it looks like it worked well.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:40 pm
by csotelo
Thanks guys!

I wish I have more time for boat build, but work still annoying me :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 pm
by Eric1
Hey Buddy, Just seeing if you have made any progress. :)

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:58 am
by csotelo
Hey man,

Unfortunately boat is resting under a tarp for the last weeks. :( My boat building activities now is to stalk the other on the forum :lol:

Wife still recovering from a health problem last year that put her on a wheelchair and we decided to stay for a while at hers father´s house at the beach.

The good part is that she is getting better and I´m in a small town near a larger reminiscent of the Brazilian Atlantic Forest, so I´m spending my free time off work exploring the surroundings with my in laws.

Regards!

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:09 am
by Jeff
Beautiful area!!! Hope your wife recovers fully and quickly!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:13 am
by Eric1
Good to hear from you my friend. I'm praying for you and your family. Keep your head up the boat can wait.
Love,Peace and Happiness.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 am
by csotelo
Thanks for your support guys!

I`ll be back to building soon, or I´ll haul the boat and finish it here. :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:37 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I got home last week and used a big holiday (Independence day) to work on the boat.

Cut and dry fitted missing all deck parts.

Glued Rod holders, tubes and gunwales supports

The aft deck

Bow deck and seat platform backing plate

The U-bolt reinforcement and holes.

Last deck piece:

Now I´m coating the underside of gunwales and getting strengths to finish the fairing on cockpit.

I hope I can glass the decks and gunwales on next week… I´ll have to move the boat and want it fully epoxied.

It will be hard to prime and paint under gunwales, but I have short time.

Regards,

Carlos

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm
by Eric1
Excellent! Glad to see you back to work!! :D

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:19 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

I permanently moved a few weeks ago.

Every day I look at Pangas launching from beach and I´m starting to think about PG22… my wife don´t share the same excitement :lol: :lol:

This saturday, the trailer I bought got ready for pick up. It´s not viable to build your own trailer here because the paper work to get it licensed is a nightmare, so I got one from government certified company.

It´s the same for boatbuilding, I had to pay a local engineer to certify Jacques project, I´ll tell more about it when I got the boat licensed. :?

So, I started with 3 hour drive, installed the trailer hitch, got the trailer and made the bunks as fast as I could.

Then the hard part: remove the boat from my barbecue area in the backyard passing over a sink and a counter top thru a small corridor.

One hour and a lot of sweat later…

A good point, the boat refuses to get on its side. I think it´s impossible to flip it over on the water.

More 3 hour drive….

And finally at home!!!

Now I´m waiting the weather get better to restart the build.

Regards,

Carlos

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:22 pm
by Eric1
Glad you got the boat out and on the trailer. Good to hear from you Carlos! :D

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm
by Jeff
Good stuff Carlos!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:18 pm
by csotelo
Thanks guys!!

If weather cooperate, I´ll do more the boat.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:21 pm
by csotelo
Well not much progress these weeks, a lot of rain in the weekends...

I rounded the corners and glassed the decks.

This time I used a different hardener much thinner than the one a used in structural parts. Much easier to wet out the cloth with a thinner resin.

The light cloth wrapped around the corners down to rub rails.

Light sanded and started the fairing.

After a few more rounds of fairing will prime and paint the cockpit so I can glue the gunwales.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:22 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:44 pm
by Eric1
Looking good! Glad you can work on it again!! :D

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:06 pm
by cape man
Looking great! Can't wait to see it running down there.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 pm
by Omar Shehade
great job Carlos !

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 pm
by Jeff
Agree, really well done Carlos!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:20 pm
by peter-curacao
Looks awesome 8) 8) , Last pic always nice to see a face with a project

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:11 pm
by csotelo
Thanks guys, your comments are an encouragement to continue the work in the boat! :D

Last Sunday, after several attempts canceled due to bad weather, I went fishing on Queimada Grande Island (mostly known as “Snake Island” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjaz0mynQvk )

Just the ride itself compensates the day, beautiful place!

I was a hot calm day at sea but just small fish.

I´ll try again next month.

Regards,

Carlos

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm
by Fuzz
Beautiful looking area and a nice looking bunch of fish.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:08 pm
by Eric1
A day well spent! Good for you Carlos!! :D

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm
by Jeff
Nice Carlos!!! Great fishing day!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:33 pm
by csotelo
Thanks guys!! I went two more times at snake island, really like this place.

I got some progress this weekend!

Facing all the obstacles that nature are imposing, like rain, extreme heat and nasty horseflys, I got almost all boat faired started the primer! :lol: :lol:

Work with 36° C is not easy, some beers help! :D

Even more with these a**holes biting my legs.. :x

First coat of primer. Uneven due to heat, I thinned it but it got thick when rolling.

Well, I´m thinking about the anti-skid. No way to find Kiwi Grip or Griptex here. Some locals suggested to use aluminium oxide 100 grit, just pouring over fresh paint.

Do you guys have any suggestion ?

Thanks,

Carlos

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:58 pm
by Jeff
Carlos, looking really good!! Try and stay cool in those Brazilian summers!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm
by Jaysen
Mix it with the paint more than pour it in. There is a FAQ/tutorial in the BBC site. I used their non-skid additive, but used sand for a different thing and it worked the same. Just make sure your additive is CLEAN.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:41 pm
by cape man
At work we have used silica sand sprinkled on the first coat of epoxy paint while it is still sticky, and then covered with a second coat. Never used aluminum oxide, but I assume it will work if someone is suggesting it. I used the non-skid additive sold here on the Bateau site on my OD 18.

Boat is looking great!

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm
by Eric1
Great pictures! Boat is looking good my Friend.
To hell with those horseflies too!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:45 am
by csotelo
Thanks guys!

In my next primer session, I´ll make a test board to try both sand/silica methods.

This weekend I did the seat base holes, filled the screw holes with thickened epoxy and did one more coat o primer.

Now I´ll focus in finish the cockpit to paint, so I can glue the gunwales.

Regards,

Carlos

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 am
by Eric1
Damn, She looks nice!! :D

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 am
by OrangeQuest
Coming along very good!!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:14 pm
by cape man
Can't wait to see the first native peacock bass caught from an FS14!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm
by Jeff
Carlos, really well done!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:54 pm
by csotelo
Thanks guys!!
Can't wait to see the first native peacock bass caught from an FS14!
Me too! I´m dreaming about it! Put the boat in my favorite spot!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 pm
by Eric1
I may have to come down there and go fishing with you! :D

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm
by Jeff
Beautiful location and a nice fish!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am
by csotelo
I may have to come down there and go fishing with you! :D
Any time my friend! I already cooling the beers!

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:46 am
by csotelo
Hello guys,

Got some work done in the boat last weekend. I glued the gunwales, drilled and filled the hatches screw holes.

Bad picture, but I had to hush cover it, rain was coming.

Also tested the engine fit. There is some space left in the motorwell, can put a 25HP in it. :D

In engine´s manual, the cavitation plate should be strait or 2,5cm below the bottom of the boat. In my case it´s 3,5 cm below.

Should I put a shin on the transom to set the engine up?

Will this 1 cm affect the performance or fuel consumption?

I also got some fishing! First time offshore.

It was a hard day, few actions, but I got some fresh Tuna to sashimi!

Thanks!

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 am
by OrangeQuest
Build is looking great but those fish look better right now, makes me hungry!!

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:22 pm
by Bundy
Looking good can’t wait to get started on mine this weekend

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:53 pm
by csotelo
@orangequest, Thanks! Fish was indeed good!

@Bundy, so good that you're going to start the build!

There are really good build threads that can give you ideas and solutions and the experienced builders in the forum are very helpfull.

It's my first build, but if I can help, just let me know!

Good luck!

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 am
by KENBOUCHER
wow what a great looking build! All Ya'll stun me with your craftsmanship, I'm going to have to stop looking it makes me feel like a kindergardener. 8O All I hope is mine floats!
kb

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 pm
by csotelo
Hi KENBOUCHER, thanks! I saw your build post, you´re doing a good job, I´m sure it will be a good boat!

In the last weekends I glassed and faired the gunwales.

In Easter, my in-laws helped to flip the boat.

So, I had to pay :-)

African Pompano, (pt-br: Xaréu Branco) very common in the summer here, good fighter!

Now I´m sanding the primer and fixing some issues before paint. I used graphite as guide coat.

The primer was really hard, it was applied about one year ago, and like egg shell. After some time with 100gr sand it level, but I´ll add 2 more coats, thinned, before final sand and paint.

I don´t know how to paint it... The full or half bottom? and then the sides?

If I put tape, It will leave a seam mark after paint the other side?

It´s colder here now, but I think I´ll have to thin the paint to avoid it dry too fast and don´t level.

Thanks!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm
by Jeff
Boat is looking really good and the fish cooking are looking even better!! Jeff

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:45 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

Well, not a good day today...

This week I did 2 more coats of primer and hand sanded with 120 and 150gr all boat until all egg pattern disappear.

Washed with water, let it dry and cleaned with Interlux GTA713(recommended by reseller) paint reducer.

Then mixed the paint (Interlux Perfection YNM32Y - Royal Blue) , let it rest for 20 min, reduced by 15%.

I was expecting roll and tip like in all videos I saw in the internet, but the result was different.

The paint didn't got flat after the tip and leave a lot of brush marks....

If you guys have any idea to fix this mess I appreciate it.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:43 am
by Fuzz
I know nothing about painting so I asked and Seaslug helped me out. Go to my thread, Sintes 21 rebuild, in Cracker Larry's corner and then go to page 99. Read what Mike told me there, it helped me a bunch.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:27 am
by csotelo
Thanks Fuzz, you did a great paint job. I´ll try to find something like Penetrol here

I´ll sand the boat to remove brush marks before paint again. Also will wait for a colder day...yesterday was about 27°and the paint was getting dry to fast.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 pm
by pee wee
I'd be cautious about adding Penetrol (they say it's a mix of natural oils) to two part polyurethane paint, try a test sample first. It's recommended for use with oil based or alkyd paint, primer, stain and varnish, Seaslug described using it with one part EasyPoxy, apparently they had no problems so it might work for you in your situation.
It will work in one part polyurethane varnish, I don't know how the two part finishes behave differently. If you can't get Penetrol there, you've added another point of question. I've used it and thought of it as similar to linseed oil, but they say it contains no linseed or fish oil.

It may be you can adjust your application method without going to an additive. Here's one bit of information from a page about applying Perfection: "The paint ideally needs to go on at 15-20" Deg C

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=301

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
by csotelo
Thanks Hank, if I got something like Penetrol I´ll test it first, but we have limited supplies here.

I think the paint is different also, it´s data sheet is different from US and Europe.

Hot weather, open space, high humidity made things worse, but in some parts I could level the paint.

Some guys from auto body shop suggested to sand with 320, 400 and 600 before apply the last coat. After it sand with 1200 and buff if needed.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:07 pm
by seaslug
I'm not familiar with the paint you're using, but I doubt that it will be compatible with Penetrol, which is an oil base meant to be used with 1 part paints. I think your biggest problem is painting in hot weather and direct sunlight. The paint just does not have enough time to flow out and flatten the brush strokes before it starts to cure. If there is any way you can have shade over the boat it will make a big difference in how easy it flows. You may also need to add more reducer than even what's recommended if you paint in the sun again. Having someone help so you can apply the paint faster might result in a better finish. When the boat is in the water , even a bad paint job is not that noticeable anyway. Good luck with your next attempt. Mike

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm
by csotelo
Thanks Mike, I'll do this way next time.

I'll wet sand it in next days.

The weather forecast for next weekend is below 20 degrees in the mornings. I have a place in the backyard with shades until 10am. I'll start as soon the sun rise.

I'll just do the sides and part of the bow, the rest will be under water. :D

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 pm
by csotelo
Hello,

Yesterday, 24h after painting, I was able to scratch the paint with my nails. So l left the boat in the sun for about 4 hours and now it´s really hard.

I started to wet sand the bow and sides and for my surprise is was able to remove all the mess I did before! It´s a PITA job but works like back magic!

I did 320, 360 and 400gr.

If I could lay a good coat of paint I think it´s done. :D

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:23 pm
by OrangeQuest
looking good!! I have used the soapy water spray bottle trick a few times when working on repairing SUP boards. Seems to keep the sand paper from building up to fast.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:33 pm
by csotelo
hum, I´ll add some soap, thanks for the hint!

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:00 pm
by csotelo
Hey guys,

I think I finished the wet sanding, at least I´m satisfied with the results.

I´m monitoring the weather and will take a time to have cool mornings here, the lowest temp after the dew dry is 23°.

Can I left the paint in the fridge overnight (about 5°) ?
Or put the reducer in the freezer and take I off before add it to paint?
Put the paint tray in a pan with ice water?

I`m thinking a way to keep paint wet, it will take less than 40 minutes to paint the sanded area.

Thanks!

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am
by csotelo
Hello,

I got a new soft brush, put the paint tray in cold water, painted in shades in a 20° C morning. Fells like It laid almost as expected leaving small brush marks, I think I can live with them. :lol:

Cooler temp helped a lot.

By now I´ll flip the boat and continue the job.

In two month I expect cooler days and maybe I´ll do another coat.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:03 pm
by Jeff
csotelo, looks good and I like the color!! Jeff

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:06 pm
by Eric1
Carlos!! That look incredible!! :D 8)

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 pm
by Fuzz
Looks like your paint plan worked. Very nice looking job and way better than before :D

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 pm
by cape man
That looks fantastic!

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:50 pm
by OrangeQuest
Looks like it still is wet it is so smooth!

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am
by csotelo
Thanks guys!

I flipped the boat, masked, did some fairing and primed the decks.

After my experience with this paint, I don´t think will be a good idea mix silica or anti-skid additive on it.

I´m testing a rubberized paint used in car´s underbody and metallic roofs. It makes a good texture, don´t slip when wet, easy to wash.
Not to strong, I can dent it with a screw driver, but not with my shoes. It can be repaired with no special preparation, just wash, dry and paint.

I´m considering paint with white Perfection PU and use white rubber paint in anti-skid areas direct over primer, and the black on rub rails.

What you guys think?

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:38 pm
by Eric1
I think it looks great! Congratulations on your flip! :) 8)

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 pm
by Fuzz
I think that gray paint will work out well. Just enough texture and not too much.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 pm
by OrangeQuest
It will also keep the sun from reflecting back and blinding you.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 pm
by csotelo
The first board has 3 coats of white, looks gray in the shades. The others has 4 or 5 coats

I can mix some black in it to make it gray, it accepts water based tints.

Thanks for the hints!