How to register your newly built boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How to register your newly built boat

Post by Capt UB »

This is for a boat under 16 ft. in Florida.

I asked Jeff (BBC) for copies my receipts, they have the name of the supplier (BBC) and the cost, receipts will have the Plan name of the boat build. I did not use anything else, no HD or Lowes receipts just BBC's. This was for a boat under 16 ft.

Homemade Vessels

An initial application for the title and registration of a homemade vessel is filed at the office of the county tax collector or license plate agent. If the homemade vessel is less than 16 feet in length forms HSMV 82040 and HSMV 87002 must be presented along with a $5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75 (for paper title) or $11 (expedited (fast) title). A registration fee based on the length of the vessel and any applicable sales tax must also be paid.

If the homemade vessel is 16 feet or more in length, a physical inspection of the vessel by a member of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) must be conducted. FWC may be contacted through their website at www.myfwc.com. At the time of inspection, a completed form HSMV 87002, Vessel Statement of Builder, must be submitted to the inspecting officer. Upon satisfactory completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer will provide a completed Certificate of Inspection, FWC/DLE-126, which will be submitted to the county tax collector or license plate agent along with forms HSMV 82040 and HSMV 87002 and a $5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75 (for paper title) or $11 (expedited (fast) title). A registration fee based on the length of the vessel and any applicable sales tax must also be paid.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/87002.pdf

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Capt. thanks for your addition for boats under 16'. Many of the builders have been helped by the post above for builds over 16'. You can refer to it when your ready to register you LM18.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Other people have posted good information for registering a homemade vessel over 16ft in FL. I was provided with a copy of the FWC Signal 29 Procedures - Homemade Vessel Inspection by an FWC officer. This document is what they use to perform the inspection. I told him about this forum and asked if I could post it. He said please do as the more prepared the person is the better for the inspection. It was hard pasting the document in here without re-formatting it. If you want the MS Word version PM me and I will email it to you.

---------------------------

Procedures for completing a Homemade Vessel Inspection:
(Use form FWCDLE 126)

Determine that the vessel is homemade:

• Homemade Vessel – Any vessel built after October 31, 1972, for which a federal hull identification number (HIN) is not required to be assigned by the manufacturer pursuant to federal law, or any vessel constructed or assembled prior to November 1, 1972, by other than a licensed manufacturer for his or her own use or the use of a specific person. A vessel assembled from a manufacturer’s kit or constructed from an unfinished manufactured hull shall be considered to be a homemade vessel if such a vessel is not required to have a hull identification number assigned by the United States Coast Guard. A rebuilt or reconstructed vessel shall in no event be construed to be a homemade vessel.

• If the homemade vessel is less than 16’ the applicant should be directed to DHSMV where they will be required to submit to the county tax collector Form HSMV 82040, along with Form HSMV 87002 (available through the DHSMV website or county tax collector’s office). DHSMV may elect to conduct a visual inspection of the vessel to ensure that it meets the legal definition of a homemade vessel.
- There is no requirement for FWC to conduct this inspection on vessels less than 16’ but it would be helpful to DHSMV and is sometimes requested.

• The owner of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be required to contact the nearest FWC office to arrange for an inspection of the vessel. At the time of inspection, the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to submit a completed Form HSMV 87002 (Builder’s Certificate of origin) to the inspecting officer.
- Officers should make an appointment to inspect the vessel and tell the applicant that he/she needs to bring the following items to the inspection:
- Completed DHSMV 87002 (Applicant should provide a copy for the officer to turn in with the 126).
- Receipts (or copies of receipts) for materials.
- Blueprint or plans (if used/available)
- Photo’s (or copies of photo’s) of construction process (if available).

• Once the inspection is complete, submit the original report (FWCDLE 126 and all associated documentation) through the chain of command. Once approved, the admin staff will send the applicants copy via certified mail along with contact information for DHSMV.

- The officer should not feel a sense of urgency to give the inspection to the applicant immediately. He/she may need to check data bases or confer with a supervisor before completing the inspection. Once approved, the applicant will receive the FWCDLE 126 via certified mail).
- Details recorded in the comments section should include confirmation that receipts for building materials match actual construction and info provided on the 87002, any interesting or unusual features or characteristics, photos of the construction process were provided. Do not include information as to seaworthiness, value or whether or not a title, HIN and registration should be issued. Stick to facts about the construction.
- If the applicant can’t produce receipts for materials then the officer should record details of where, when and how the building materials were obtained as well as approximate cost. It is recommended that the officer require the applicant to provide a signed witness statement attesting to these facts of construction.
- Copies of building material receipts as well as photo’s taken during construction should be obtained whenever possible and attached to the original report to be submitted for approval.
- Generally, someone who builds their own boat is quite proud and takes photos throughout construction which they are equally proud to show off and share.
- Overall length determines the class of the vessel which determines safety equipment requirements and registration fees. Overall length is measured in a straight line from the fore most part of the stem (bow) to the after part of the stern through the centerline, excluding any projections that are not part of the hull. Officers are to measure the vessel using this method.
- Officers should tell the applicant that DHSMV is the final authority for issuing title and that they will receive the inspecting officer’s certification via certified mail once it has been approved (this should not take longer than 2 weeks).
- The applicant can expect a minimum of 8-10 weeks for DHSMV to send a title or reject the application.

Tools for Completing Vessel Inspections (Homemade and Other Than Homemade):

FWC officers are the experts for DHSMV where vessel inspections for homemade as well as other than homemade vessel inspections are concerned. Officers need to complete thorough, thoughtful investigations and provide as much detail and information as possible in their report.

• There is no requirement for an officer to complete a vessel inspection in one visit.
• If additional room is needed, a narrative continuation form (FWCDLE 045A) should be used and marked as supplement.
• Vessel inspections should not be conducted while the vessel is afloat unless its size prohibits removal for inspection.
• Some homemade boats (especially air boats) are sold as kits and bare a manufacturer’s name but not a manufacturers HIN number. Kit boats, having been assembled and finished by the purchaser are considered homemade and should be inspected as such.
- When inspecting a boat baring a manufacturer’s name but displaying an FLZ number, if it’s not stated on the bill of sale, you may want to contact the seller and ask if the boat was built from a kit.
- Another option is to contact the manufacturer and ask if they include a hidden HIN on their boat kits.
• Get statements from the applicant concerning all aspects of the acquisition. Don’t accept vague statements, practice your investigative skills and get complete information.
• Following the procedures for found property may be more appropriate for obtaining a title in some circumstances.
• In all cases, photos should be taken and attached to the inspection form along with other documentation (receipts, written statements, etc.) provided by the applicant.
• Many times it is necessary to contact vessel manufacturers to determine the original purchaser. The first 3 characters of the HIN number is the Manufacturer Identification Code (MIC). The website to obtain manufacturer contact information is: http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm
• Another resource for tracking down information is the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NCIB). When there is no record in NCIC / FCIC it could be because those files are purged regularly. The NICB does not purge records, and may be able to provide further information.
- The number for NICB is: 800-447-6282.
- The caller will need to provide the agency name, ORI, Officer name and ID number.
• Be very wary of boats:
- Which have obviously been popped off of a mold and have no HIN. Ask to see the mold or determine where the mold came from and where it is now.
- When there are manufacturer names or graphics on the boat or indication that names/graphics have been removed.
- When there are signs that HIN or registration numbers may have been in place; ask questions and don’t accept vague answers.
- A hidden HIN number is required for vessels built after 1984. The hidden HIN can be found in a variety of locations so look carefully and creatively or call the manufacturer and ask.
- The International Association of Marine Investigations (IAMI) is a good resource for locating hidden numbers on a variety of manufactured boats.
• Though not required as part of the vessel inspection, officers should take a close look at the motor and trailer when inspecting “packages”.
- Outboard motors manufactured after October 1, 1985 are required to have serial numbers affixed (FS 860.20). Outboard motors are easily stolen and sold; ask questions about where the motor came from.
- If the serial numbers required to identify ownership of an outboard motor do not exist or have been removed, erased, defaced, or otherwise altered and its true identity cannot be determined, the motor may be seized as contraband property and subject to forfeiture (ss. 932.701-932.704).
- Any trailer having been used on public roads should have been registered at some time.
- Manufactured trailers generally have a serial number on them somewhere, look in a variety of places for identifiers and compare this to the tag information.
- Sails have manufacturing numbers located at the base of the sail.
• Vessel inspections often turn in to great cases involving stolen property, failure to transfer title, and/or title fraud. Proper titling and registration would ultimately lead to fewer derelict/abandoned vessels for which an owner cannot be located.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Oh and by the way, I'm on week 9 to get my hull number from DHSMV. It takes about 3 days for FWC to submit the package to DHSMV. The rest of the time is DHSMV. Ridiculous! My inspecting officer did offer to go to DHSMV with me if I hadn't received the hull number in 10 weeks. Standby for more...

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Dutch1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm Oh and by the way, I'm on week 9 to get my hull number from DHSMV. It takes about 3 days for FWC to submit the package to DHSMV. The rest of the time is DHSMV. Ridiculous! My inspecting officer did offer to go to DHSMV with me if I hadn't received the hull number in 10 weeks. Standby for more...
It’s crazy how two different builders can have completely different experiences in the same state.
A senior FWC supervisor inspected my FS18 and signed the home built inspection document in about 20 minutes.
My son and I took the BBC receipts and the signed FWC form to the DMV office in Dade City.
We walked out with the registration numbers and the sticker in less than one hour.
The title is being sent in the mail but we could have spent a little more and got a “quick title” on the spot.
Dutch, I’d be tempted to try a different DMV office. I would get a copy of the FWC form and hand carry it to the DMV.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 am
Dutch1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm Oh and by the way, I'm on week 9 to get my hull number from DHSMV. It takes about 3 days for FWC to submit the package to DHSMV. The rest of the time is DHSMV. Ridiculous! My inspecting officer did offer to go to DHSMV with me if I hadn't received the hull number in 10 weeks. Standby for more...
It’s crazy how two different builders can have completely different experiences in the same state.
A senior FWC supervisor inspected my FS18 and signed the home built inspection document in about 20 minutes.
My son and I took the BBC receipts and the signed FWC form to the DMV office in Dade City.
We walked out with the registration numbers and the sticker in less than one hour.
The title is being sent in the mail but we could have spent a little more and got a “quick title” on the spot.
Dutch, I’d be tempted to try a different DMV office. I would get a copy of the FWC form and hand carry it to the DMV.
I think I'll do that. I've emailed the officer that did the inspection. I'll give him tomorrow to respond. Either way, I'm not ready to splash it yet.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

They make it sound like you get the Inspection Certificate that day!!!

The owner of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be required
to contact the nearest district office of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to arrange
for a physical inspection of the vessel (http://myfwc.com/contact/staff-contacts ... l-offices/). At the time of
inspection, the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to submit a completed Vessel Statement of Builder
or Builder’s Certificate to the inspecting officer. Upon completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer shall
provide the owner of the homemade vessel with an executed Certificate of Inspection; form FWC/DLE126, which
must be submitted to the county tax collector
, along with HSMV 82040 and the Vessel Statement of Builder.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Just found this write up....

Question:

I am building a boat. Who do I need to contact about having it inspected and registered and titled in Florida? Why does the FWC inspect homemade vessels?

Answer:

Applications for vessel title and registration are to be filed by the vessel owner with the county tax collector's office (tag office) in the county where the vessel is located or in the county where the vessel owner resides. The builder needs to have and complete a "Vessel Statement of Builder"- HSMV 87002 form. Follow directions on the form.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission does not title or register boats. However, an FWC officer will need to come and inspect your "Homemade" boat before it can be registered and titled in Florida. Once you have the inspection form and other construction documentation (building plans, photos, materials receipts, etc) to verify that the vessel is "Homemade", call your local FWC Office to arrange an inspection. The officer will inspect the vessel to verify that the vessel is homemade and not a reconstructed or refurbished factory hull. The intent is to eliminate fraud, swapping of numbers, and is required by Florida Statute 328.01 (you can view Florida Statutes online).

The procedures and form for the inspection of a vessel being rebuilt or reconstructed from an existing hull are completely different. If it is the case that you need an inspection for a vessel being rebuilt or reconstructed from an existing hull, you will need to advise the FWC when you call to arrange the inspection. You can print the "Inspection for Other Than Homemade Boat" by clicking on the file attachment below. To find out which vessels need to be registered and titled and what is considered a homemade, rebuilt or reconstructed vessel, visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) Vessel Registration and Titles Web page.

After the inspection you will need to take the completed vessel inspection form back to the tax collector's office and have the vessel titled and registered through the DHSMV. They will issue the title and registration.

Potential manufacturers, or importers, of recreational boats must contact the US Coast Guard (USCG), Office of Boating Safety, Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division at 202-372-1078 and request a Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) form. View the USCG BOATBUILDER'S HANDBOOK.

They make it sound like you get the Inspection Certificate that day!!!
Last edited by Capt UB on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is correct for boats longer than 16'. Here in Florida, you don't need a building declaration for boats shorter than 16', just your invoices for materials.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Capt UB wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 am They make it sound like you get the Inspection Certificate that day!!!

The owner of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be required
to contact the nearest district office of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to arrange
for a physical inspection of the vessel (http://myfwc.com/contact/staff-contacts ... l-offices/). At the time of
inspection, the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to submit a completed Vessel Statement of Builder
or Builder’s Certificate to the inspecting officer. Upon completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer shall
provide the owner of the homemade vessel with an executed Certificate of Inspection; form FWC/DLE126, which
must be submitted to the county tax collector
, along with HSMV 82040 and the Vessel Statement of Builder.
Once I made the appointment with the local FWC guy, he came out in a couple of days and looked at “Bare Bones” and signed the inspection form on the spot. You can get the FL numbers, hull numbers and Florida vessel title on the same day if you have a couple of hours to spare after the inspection.
The paperwork went exactly the same when I registered “Red Alert”.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146