How to register your newly built boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bakerbob101
New Poster
New Poster

How to register your newly built boat

Post by bakerbob101 »

Hi new to this forum. Have built 3 boats from scratch many years ago and was thinking I'd like to give it a go again. but in this new era of regulations my question is------- In New Jersey USA is how do you go about registering your newly built boat. What do you need to do to get the vin #'s for it and approved to actually use it your new boat

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: How to register your newly built boat

Post by TomW1 »

Many people have built boats in NJ and hopefully one of them will see this and direct you to where you need to go to get the correct information. Since I use my boat in NC and IA I had success by looking up NC Boat Registration and Titles and the same for Iowa. Here I looked it up for you. http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/boat-registration.php

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

You first need to get a hull ID number - fill out this application to have the state assign a 12-digit hull identification number to your home made boat:
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms-dow ... AT-014.pdf

Then register it in the usual way. You'll need pictures and may need receipts for materials used so that they can compute the sales tax you'll need to pay when registering the boat for the first time. Here are the details: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/r ... procedure/
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Brian great info for VA hope others will see and use it for your state. :D Bob is in NJ though.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

For Jeff. Can we get a sticky on this subject as it always seems to come up especially with new builders. Then people can post to it for the states they live in. There are vast differences from state to state. Just see Brian's post for Virginia and the NJ post I made for Bob. For NC it is very simple send your money and 2 sheets of Form VL-1 filled in. GA and FL as I recall require an inspection. It would be helpful if those posting provide a link to the requirements.

Tom

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Tom, I am happy to help in any manner but I am sorry, I don't know what a "sticky" is. Help me here!! Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Jeff wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm Tom, I am happy to help in any manner but I am sorry, I don't know what a "sticky" is. Help me here!! Jeff
The threads that stay at the top of the list when newer posts are added. They stick to the top.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Joe2700, thank you for the explanation, I truly did not know what "sticky" was. Let me work this with Jamie tomorrow and we will get this done!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That will be great Jeff. Make your first post like "We are trying to collect all the different states requirements to register our boats. If you could please post a link to your states requirements for getting a VIN and registration and Title if required it would be appreciated." Put it in your own words of course.

Also if you can bring Brian's instructions for VA up it would be good as a first post. I'll post the NJ one I found for Bob and the NC one.

Regards, Tom

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TomW1, we will initiate this morning as soon as Jamie arrives!!! Thank you for the great idea!! Jeff