DE25 Ownership Log

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: DE25 Owner thread

Post by TomW1 »

Matt I would not worry to much about it. The PPI is 600lbs and if you have 6 people they would all have to weigh 200 lbs to reach the bottom of the scuppers. Jacques has stated before that the waterline is 2-3 inches below the scuppers for this boat so 12-1800lbs . Check with him. Make sure you have flaps like these from Hamilton Marine. https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet/st ... D=scuppers The bigger the better. Peter used a large size with his CX25. They will keep the water out when backing or in a following sea. The large size will quickly drain the cockpit through the oval tubes.

I have seen several builders of bigger boats use the tube and scupper system. An NV23 in Bermuda, Topwaters, a DE25 in Washington for 3. Just be sure to rough up any where you are going to attach fiberglass to pvc.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I’ve been using the boat for a year. Four people in back, all well under 200lb, get the deck wet. It doesn’t trim level in that condition. I have the perko flaps.

Around Christmas near Hobe Sound we had a spectacular bioluminescent plankton show right in the cockpit - actually made for one of my most memorable boating experiences.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Makes me wonder if you had water under the sole back then...

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matt definitely you have a problem. If you have water on the deck with 4 people something is wrong. I can have 4 people in my OD18 with 900 lbs. and not have water on the deck. I think this has to do with the water below the deck you need to dry it out so you are floating at normal water line.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

I bet if you ask Jeff, you could probably get a set of plans so that it shows where all bulk heads and stringers are. If there isn’t foam in there, it should be simple to get in there with a circular saw. Cut between bulkhead and stringers, mark each piece of plywood and you can reuse them. Then you won’t have to worry about prying plywood from the glue cleats.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I think what would worry me more is not how did the Water get in in the first place - if it is through the scuppers then you have that answer already....

(I know that I have always struggled to get pvc to glue to - West’s website recommends light heating of some pvcs with a blow torch to get better adhesion - but I think Fiberglass scuppers a safer bet) ....

But ... my biggest question would be how did the water migrate between so many compartments? If it is seeping over between the sole and the cleats on top of the frames/ stringers, then surely this needs to be fixed too and that won’t happen if you don’t get the old sole off there first.

Or are u planning to run a fillet around each one?

Can you get the boat tilted up and see if Water moves from one compartment to the next and how?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with TomTom stop the water from getting under the sole. You probably have way more than 50 gallons under the sole which is equal to 500lbs. and is causing a down stern form and why you get water on the sole with only 4 guys. Get the water out from under the sole. Every gallon under the sole is nearly 10 lbs. I would take up your sole and clean up what is underneath it and get all the water out of there. Put in new scuppers for the deck drainage that are of the proper size for a DE25.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

And i thought i was the only vampire up this late :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

topwater wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:50 am And i thought i was the only vampire up this late :!:
:lol: :lol:

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I want to run fiberglass tubes from the transom through the bulkhead, similar to what topwater shows above. There are already 2" ID holes in the boat, so a 2" OD round tube would be straightforward, and easily pluggable. Then I can glue and glass it in place, ensuring it is robust and leak proof.

Anyone have a good source of fiberglass tube? Would save me a few hours of work and a few days of calendar time vs. making one, and with better quality control.

I see this on Grainger: https://www.grainger.com/category/fiber ... 1dZ1z0o03i

1/4" wall is heavier than I need for this, but I won't be picky as that seems to be a standard.

Here is the setup that was there. Nylon fittings with corrugated hose. Not sure if the leak was through the hose, at the hose clamp, or in the bedding of the fitting. In any case it is all going away.

Between each of the boxes laterally (but not longitudinally) were these PVC pipes, I guess added for ventilation. This helped the water migrate once the boxes were full.

For flotation, I'm going to remove as much foam as I can get to. Never was a fan of it in the first place, and if the cavity fill isn't 100% then its asking for trouble. Replacing that will be polyethylene balls...readily available in bulk for your kid's ball pit. Water-tight, light weight, and take up a good amount of volume. A theoretical fill gives about 74% displacement; with the edge effects of the cavities I have it will be around 60%. This lets air and water flow through, and drain through the limber holes to the back bilge. Cost is a little more than the BBC house foam and a little less than the name brands, on a $/displaced volume basis. I was tempted to go without altogether, as the boat is wood and foam anyways. I'll end up net a couple hundred pounds more buoyant than how I bought it.

Some boat manufacturers do this in production. This is from Tideman in Holland: