FS-18 - "Bare Bones"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Aripeka Angler's FS-18

Post by Aripeka Angler »

peter-curacao wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:04 pm
Aripeka Angler wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:31 pm
I'm shooting for the record of the slowest boat build in Bateau history :lol: I got a ways to go before I catch KS though :lol:
You have a competitor in me there with my flyer :P Cool build Richard I'm sure it's gonna look great as always! 8)
Real curious to the outcome of that Plyak also, love to see it in action with the drive
Your flyer looks awesome! Lots of detail, easy to see why you are taking your time :D

I'll get back on the plyak while I'm working on the new build :wink:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I'm home after a nice weekend in Savannah, Georgia. Great to see Cracker again 8)

While I'm waiting for my kit and plans to arrive for this build, can anyone share the dimensions of the strong back with me?
The only numbers I need are the length and width.
I will build the strong back tomorrow after work...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Hey Richard, Good choice on the build. If you love fishing skinny water, and if you've ever poled a flats skiff, you'll be extremely happy with this boat. I'm just happy as hell all you FS18 builders don't live anywhere close to my fishing grounds, where I've become accustomed to having all the super shallow flats to myself and a buddy with a Hell's Bay Glades Skiff. For the most part, we rarely see another boat where we fish, and the entrance to the flats is only 1/4 mile from the ramp.....I built my strong back 24" wide, 23" high, which was the perfect height for me, and I'm 5'10" tall, and 179" long. It's been a while so I can't recall exactly how the length worked out as far as the transom/baseline point, but to me the most important thing was frame A sat right at the end of the strong back, with the entire bow section accessible from underneath for stitching the rounded chine, which takes a lot of stitching with the PVC pipes. I'm looking forward to watching another 18 being built. Good luck with the build. Mike

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Mike, thanks for the numbers and well wishes!
I'm excited to start building, not so excited to start sanding :lol:
Richard

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm late to the party but glad to be here. That FS-18 is easy to love. Richard, I've used my Plyak for over a year now and what I like about it is how well it tracks. I can set the paddle down, pick up a rod to cast to a spot, and it stays true on course. Paddling in a quarter head wind is good too, but paddling is a drag compared to the foot drive. I rented a mirage drive hobie several years ago at a builders meet and it was a real pleasure to fish out of, but nowhere near as fast as the plyak.

My plyak is heavy. Too heavy I think. It's too long for my short pickup bed so I put it on top of a little utility trailer I have. I reconfigured a cheap little kayak dolly I found online and it's easy enough to maneuver that way. Mine is not all that stable. It's dumped me several times! It has always happened when I am getting in or out. Once in I'm OK. Last week I took it out for the first time this winter. There's a little river (the Blanco) ten minutes from me with a nice put in spot. No appreciable current. So I eased her in,and gingerly stepped in from the bank. As I approach 68 years of breathing I notice I tend to plop rather than ease down when sitting. Not the best approach for the pylyak, but all went well. The water was a bit off color from rain two days before and there was a fairly brisk wind. I paddled about, wielding a road runner jig on a tiny little 5 foot ultralight rod, and after half an hour was happily surprised by a little 2 lb or so chunky river bass that was laying in wait on the far shore. He jumped 3 times on that little ultralight rig, until I lipped him and eased him back in the water. Half hour later his slightly smaller cousin provided similar entertainment. It was a long up wind paddle back to the car. I'd been out close to 2 hours, was tired, happy, and pleased with myself since I'd fooled around quite a lot in the yak and never got close to a tumble. So I eased up to the bank and decided I'd try to debark directly to shore, without getting my feet wet. I went to secure to paddle at the side and Mr. Ply promptly dumped me head first in 2 feet of cold river :lol:

Looking forward to this thread Dougster

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Doug,
That's a great report on the plyak :)
Your review of the boat makes me want to drag mine out and finish it for sure.
Glad to hear you are enjoying it!
Since I've been slow poking on the yak, I figured I would cheat a bit on FS-18.
I ordered the cnc kit, this boat must be floating by December...
Richard

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Check this out, I ordered the kit on Thursday night (4-16).
Bateau shipped the kit today, that's killer quick!
Jeff and Reid, thank you for your fast service :D
Richard

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:44 pm Check this out, I ordered the kit on Thursday night (4-16).
8) :P 8) :P 8)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AA, she shipped around 1:30 this afternoon. I will email you an update tomorrow morning on where she is as we have a new contract with R&L Carriers and they are providing really good service and also taking great care of our marine plywood!! Thank you and I look forward to seeing another FS18 being built!! Jeff

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

We are underway, the kit arrived today :)

After I unpacked the the crate, I picked the multi-tool for the opening salvo on the build...

Ok, I know it's not much but it's a start :lol:
Pile of parts...

Last edited by Aripeka Angler on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard