Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

Post by jacquesmm »

The two stringers have a different angle. That should not happen but the difference I see is not a problem.
After the inside fiberglass, stringers and frames will always require some fine tuning because of the fiberglass. It is expected. Shave a little bit here and there, fill the gaps with putty, avoid hard spots and keep going.
When adjusting the stringers, keep in mind that they will support the sole, the top edges must all be in the same plane. Small corrections can be done later when gluing the cleats on.
All together, it looks good and normal.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:38 am The two stringers have a different angle. That should not happen but the difference I see is not a problem.
After the inside fiberglass, stringers and frames will always require some fine tuning because of the fiberglass. It is expected. Shave a little bit here and there, fill the gaps with putty, avoid hard spots and keep going.
When adjusting the stringers, keep in mind that they will support the sole, the top edges must all be in the same plane. Small corrections can be done later when gluing the cleats on.
All together, it looks good and normal.
Agreed on the angle....i think they arent seated correct at the base of the transom. I'll start sanding there and the shim the front and i should be close. Thanks for the feedback

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Tabbed stringers in.....yay. I used nickels to get them from touching the hull panels but curious how do you guys get the thickened epoxy under the stringers with any consistancy. I am thinking about filleting the "downhill" side to seal then a generous pour of regular epoxy then trying to get the thickened stuff in there and fillit the other side. What have you all done? Thanks Rich

ctbeutel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ctbeutel »

I bought a few frosting piping bags at the dollar store. There are a variety of plastic tips that come in the kit and I was able to flow the thickened epoxy under the stringers pretty easily. A lot of people just cut a corner off a ziplock but the plastic tip on the forsting bag let me keep it pressed firmly against the stringer and force the epoxy through.
Owner of a FS18, completed FS12.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

ctbeutel wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:28 pm I bought a few frosting piping bags at the dollar store. There are a variety of plastic tips that come in the kit and I was able to flow the thickened epoxy under the stringers pretty easily. A lot of people just cut a corner off a ziplock but the plastic tip on the forsting bag let me keep it pressed firmly against the stringer and force the epoxy through.
Brilliant

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Stringers down. Played with the thickness a bit to get the behavior I wanted but turned out good. The idea was to make the downhill part thick and the uphill part slightly thinner. This allowed me to easily push epoxy into the void under the stringer. But needing to let it fully cure for a week or so then taping them in, switching epoxy brands no more MAS thankfully
20200204_220751.jpg
20200204_220822.jpg
20200204_220757.jpg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Stringers glassed in. Hopefully get some frames in tonight
20200215_101135.jpg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So I think I am descending into madness. Everything is close to level but I can't figure out which is the one to set too. I have left the shear a little ragged for clean up later. My stringers are consistent all the way down their length so I think I will spin the boat to make them level, shim and affix the frames, and finish by cleaning up the shear line.
20200216_223115.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!! Jeff

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Finally back at it.....kicked off my return with my favorite thing, sanding followed by more sanding. But got frames D B A tacked in (having to make frame C again). Should be flashing one frame per night. Frame A wound up being about .25 to .5 inches off flat and about .5 low, but I'll fix with bigger kleats on either side where the sole attaches
20200312_221947.jpg
20200312_221958.jpg