Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

Post by rbecker08 »

So finally got started with this, and the good news I have enough meranti to get the outer hull built without having to use any fir. This saves me from all the craziness I was thinking I would need, but I am a little upset about not getting the first transom sandwich built. Managed to make my first cuts today and you all were spot on the circular saw is pretty amazing at making the curved cuts and is way more accurate than I thought it would be. As opposed to building a proper cutting table to support the ply I just threw a sheet of 1in insulation foam on the garage floor, saves a lot of headache working with big sheets of ply. But excited to make some progress and start chasing reds on the flats when we get this knocked out. Cut out Frame C and the bow mold today out of exterior, they are throw away I believe. Cutting the rest tomorrow and gluing up the transom this weekend. Yay
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

Post by Eric1 »

Congrats on the start!

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So it is offical now, we are committed. I cut the rest of the frames out of the high dollar ply and there is no turning back. Just for those that are interested I made my circular saw into a track saw by using the table saw and making a "fence" pictured below. I cut two pieces of 1/2 ply and glued them together one being 3 times as big as the other. Then clamped to the workbench and used the top piece as a stop for my circular saw and made a cut. Now you got an accurate fence you can clamp to your work and make accurate straight cuts. I figure most of my tricks are already known if you want more details let me know, just trying to contribute. Also had a question on one of my frames the "point" didn't align with my centerline by about 1/4". I am thinking about filing that frame down to make a flat spot with equal distance on either side of center. On assembly I will fill the gap with epoxy. I have some pictures below but does that solution work? Thanks just don't know the tolerance allowed in these things and trying to feel it out.
IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

One more pic of the fence we made in action and a picture of just how accurate you can get....two cuts made to form a pretty good 90 deg corner.
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is a good trick with the fence. It sure makes cutting things straight a lot easier.
As for the funny point I do not think it will be a big deal. After you glass the inside there will be a bunch of glass in that area. You will probably have to trim the frames to fit anyway.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Transom cut out and ready for glue up. I am going to have to do some work on better pictures but we'll start measuring out stringers next week

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice cuts rbecker08!! Well on your way now!! Jeff

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

so today was the day with my first bit of Epoxy work and well....I underwhelmed myself, definately should have started with stringers first but here we go. Let me know if we have a problem. Gluing my transom up and basically laminating 3 full transom pieces and used about 3/4 of a gallon of epoxy. It felt wasteful. First we wetted out both surfaces and then applied a thickened mixture with the 403 microfiber additive from West System. Screwed up a bit and wetted out the wrong surface on one of the panels, but whatever flipped it repeated the wet and and stacked it on. So today looking at my work I am not so happy. Pics below but not sure if I got a solid lamination because I see gaps in some areas, I just did some rough sanding and haven't evened out all the panels yet but looking for feedback. I have a distinct feeling we are making another transom, but let me know your thoughts and I'll probably even out the sides later today.
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0643.JPG

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Alright so feeling a bit better, found a few other posts dealing with this same issue and mine doesn't look as severe. I used slow hardener and also did some more sanding and it looks much better. The top of the transom has that freehand curve to it and that is where it looks work but gaps seem to be less then 1/4" deep, can't get past the tip of my fillet knife in there. So probably going to sand down that curve and repost pictures, but still looking for some expert advice if you all have any.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Sand or plane all of those edge surfaces flush and then coat the exposed edge with neat epoxy and everything should look great. I used Silvertip Gel Magic when I laminated the transom on the FS19 that I'm building now, and two dowels to line up everything. Lots of weight on top to try and apply even clamping pressure, but there were still some gaps and areas where epoxy glue squeezed out.

Most if not all of those edges will be hidden by the sides and bottom or covered over with a few layers of fiberglass anyway.