Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

Post by rbecker08 »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:30 pm I had CL OD18 for a number of years and he had 1" or 1 1/2" drains out the sides. He plugged them at sea unless he was taking water on board and when sitting on the trailer. He also built up the area where they went so there was plenty of area to drill the hole and for the plug to hold. these are one example: https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine ... =8-16&th=1 I will be honest I did not like them, here in the mountain's leaves, and pine needles blocked them to easily, I had to clean them out every week in the fall.

Tom
Thanks for this I think I'll do this and the clam shell on the outside should work pretty good. Will probably make a block then insert one of those brass tubes like a drain in a transom.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

don't overthink the bow eye. I've had to repair a couple "really big trailerable" boats with bow eye problems and all of them had what I would consider meth-drilled bow eye holes in hull. Called the manufacturers and they claim that it's the backing plates that are more critical. I would paraphrase their collective statements to "get close enough to make the bow eye fit but use the plates to make it fit right... 5200 holds the plates and secures the eye... your holes should be sealed with resin."

So straight is relative. So is parallel. At least for the guys doing this for big dollars not fun.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 am don't overthink the bow eye. I've had to repair a couple "really big trailerable" boats with bow eye problems and all of them had what I would consider meth-drilled bow eye holes in hull. Called the manufacturers and they claim that it's the backing plates that are more critical. I would paraphrase their collective statements to "get close enough to make the bow eye fit but use the plates to make it fit right... 5200 holds the plates and secures the eye... your holes should be sealed with resin."

So straight is relative. So is parallel. At least for the guys doing this for big dollars not fun.
Okay so.......I wanted a drill press.....:-P

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I fully support your drill press acquisition.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Transom tie down backing plates in, will glass them in tomorrow. Also pre filled the bow ring form before shaping. Will cut and shape tomorrow.
20230210_214051.jpg
20230210_214105.jpg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So it's been a while.....still plugging along. Finished most of the thru hull penetrations. Next we are laying the center deck, anything needed prior to sealing up other then general clean up? Everything has 3 coats of epoxy including the drain holes I drilled in.

I want the center deck in so I can drill the scupper holes out the side, then other then the jack plate holes should be done with putting holes in the boat.

On a side note I am well aware the bow eye is not straight lol.....I haven't been sleeping well either thinking about it.....
20230227_094423.jpg
20230227_210547.jpg
20230227_210658.jpg
Oh last question should I cut the deck so two pieces join over a frame. The middle cardboard piece is the middle frame here. If I cut one piece larger then the other it has less wasted ply but not sure if it causes structural issues. Bottom will be epoxy coated, top joints will have a layer of 12 Oz, then a layer of 6oz over them

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Last question- if you don't land on a solid support, you want to use butt blocks under the deck seam.
Hank

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

pee wee wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:09 am Last question- if you don't land on a solid support, you want to use butt blocks under the deck seam.
Thanks we'll cut it to end on a frame then.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Even though my FS14 sole is a smaller, I did mine in 3 pieces so each outside piece was supported on the edge by stringer cleats and then the center piece also was supported on the stringer cleats. instead of 3 coats of neat epoxy on the underside, I did a neat coat and then 4oz cloth. topside got 6oz cloth. But I put EVA foam on the top side which I don't need to worry about wear of the wood for the sole but it is watertight.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Woo hoo :)
20230322_225657.jpg