Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looking good!

I had access to my bow eye below my fore deck. Once the deck is down how much access would you have if the bow eye was below it? Remember the metal things go on after the paint is finished. So, you have to consider how much access will you have to it after paint. I followed other builders and used a nice big block of wood for a backer plus the plate that came with my bow eye. Used the same for my transom eyes too.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So the bow eye will take some head scratching......later :). The real concern is just how to make it look good will probably have a cedar bow compartment to hide a dum dum move with a planer to.

But tonight filled gaps in the rear frame brace we put on yesterday, where the clamps were. Also put some thickened epoxy in the deck frame half laps. It will still be able to come out for epoxy coating. Also found some nifty burrs for grinding epoxy back. Pricey but effective just helps cut sanding time and producing radiuses
20230104_210635.jpg
20230104_210726.jpg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Continuing to work on the casting deck frames. Rear one coming together now. Goal for this week is to have them cut glued together and coated. Also will be adding additional supports to the hull sides.
20230116_084706.jpg
20230116_084717.jpg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Rear deck frame complete. Should be cutting out some cleats for the hull tonight.
20230118_200622.jpg
20230118_201006.jpg

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Looking good - great progress! Looks like you don't have a massive amount of space in which to work too, but it is all coming along nicely.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

My first thought was how is every thing not covered in dust :doh:

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:57 pm My first thought was how is every thing not covered in dust :doh:
That has been a area of focus for me. Added a cyclone to the shop vac and the ridgid offers a hepa bag and filter. That hooks into a tool triggered switch and all my tools have some sort of vacuum hookup. In addition I have a box fan with hvac filers taped to it. This doesn't replace a respirator but dust is the biggest threat we all face, from health to angry wives lol. I still have more to learn/do but dust is a priority for me. Whatever you all have learned would be great learning for everyone
20230120_101339.jpg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

And I have a hand tool problem....
20230120_105649.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

rbecker08 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:57 am And I have a hand tool problem....
this is the solution to most of life's problems. At least that's what I keep hoping.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.