Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

Post by Fuzz »

Big step done, congratulations. You are going to love having a level place to work off of.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Never to be seen again!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:13 am Big step done, congratulations. You are going to love having a level place to work off of.
Who said it was level :help:

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Question when glassing the sole in, is it a single piece of tape or 2 over lapping. The drawing looks like 1 and reading the instructions for other details, but I have messed this up before.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

rbecker08 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:59 am Question when glassing the sole in, is it a single piece of tape or 2 over lapping. The drawing looks like 1 and reading the instructions for other details, but I have messed this up before.
I did one layer of 12 oz biax over a fat fillet of wood flour and believe it is more the sufficient.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree, don't forget you will be covering it with another layer of cloth. For the edges I would do two overlapped layers for strength as that is where movement will occur.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So it has been a while but that doesn't mean progress has stopped. We have a few update photos attached but we have the sole down, and the frames in place for the casting decks (probably overkill). Last picture are the compartments where we will have fuel and batteries, the intent is to have the fuel lines run out to the left, electric out the right so they are sealed and separate. Curious on how to run the fuel line, vent, and fuel fill line through the compartment wall correctly, I think it should have some fitting to keep it isolated but never done this before.

I should be cleaning things up, coating with epoxy and putting casting decks in soon. Oh and we did elect the captain. :)
20231016_074943.jpg
20231016_074905.jpg
FuelCompartments.jpg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

rbecker08 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:00 pm Oh and we did elect the captain. :)
By what process did he (or is it a she?) get elected? LoL, nice progress!
Hank

cape man

Post by cape man »

You're getting there! What thickness of ply are you using on the decks? You have a lot of unsupported space below those battens. Don't get me wrong...I like the layout, but make sure the deck is solid and won't flex.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

cape man wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:12 pm You're getting there! What thickness of ply are you using on the decks? You have a lot of unsupported space below those battens. Don't get me wrong...I like the layout, but make sure the deck is solid and won't flex.
We will have 3/8 in ply with 2 layers of 3 oz cloth on either side. We are getting to the it is what it is point lol. We are done by end of year or probably off to the dump with it.