PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by nightcrawler »

I also have left the shear as the pgs as i recall that makes it around 3 inches higher
Roland

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

PangaRon wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:46 pm Fallguy,

I respectfully disagree that I have exceeded the weight recommendations of the PG25 plan. I lessened the size and moved the fuel tank to the bow. I also moved the batteries to the center. The PG25 plan clearly recommends not to exceed a 125 hp outboard and I went with a 90 hp. I have no significant weight at the stern and I weigh 185 pounds. The only non-plan addition is a 98 pound T-Top at the center and an empty 35 gallon live well. This boat is 28 feet overall and easily has the room to fish 4 adults. I am not trying to argue and am unfamiliar with the math you’re quoting, but I’m a practical guy and this boat was built as designed and should not have standing water.

As far as raising the sole, if I had to do it over again, I would not want a shorter freeboard. This is just my personal opinion. I do some crabbing, lobstering, and sometimes fish in long period 4-5 foot swells and I would not feel safe. I have friends over 6 feet tall and they wanted me to install a toe rail. The boat is designed narrow and when occupants move side to side, the boat can quickly rock.

I plan on closing the scuppers and going with a self draining bilge with pumps. I don’t store the boat in the water so rain water is not an issue.

Thank you for your help on this minor issue. It’s still a great, fun and especially economical fishing machine that gets positive comments everywhere she goes!
Not your fault.

The Pangas have an incredible history, but they were not designed for four strokes is all.

In fact, the original panga has no sole even..made super light and economical to run. Special boats. Lots to love.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Before you give up and close the scuppers in I would try those big plugs. They are watertight when installed and if things get nasty you can pull them for water drainage.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:23 pm Before you give up and close the scuppers in I would try those big plugs. They are watertight when installed and if things get nasty you can pull them for water drainage.
Do you have source or a link?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

If that doesn't work you could make a plug out of EVA foam blocks used as yoga blocks. Cheap and can be carved to shape. Cur them slightly oversized.

I'm going with elephant trunk style tubes (longer version of a duckbill) over my scuppers that can be lifted and tied above the water line. There is a sump in front of the scuppers so any flowback will go into that where it can be pumped out. It also means that the scuppers will be useless for draining small amounts of water and are only for emergency use.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:45 pm If that doesn't work you could make a plug out of EVA foam blocks used as yoga blocks. Cheap and can be carved to shape. Cur them slightly oversized.

I'm going with elephant trunk style tubes (longer version of a duckbill) over my scuppers that can be lifted and tied above the water line. There is a sump in front of the scuppers so any flowback will go into that where it can be pumped out. It also means that the scuppers will be useless for draining small amounts of water and are only for emergency use.
The major reason for scuppers on trailer sailers are for rain.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

For me it was the chance of a boarding sea, or if I take it over river bars. Unlikely to ever get used, but I'll sleep better with them in, so they go in.
I'll have a bung out the back and sides as well to stop water accumulating on the trailer, which again shouldn't happen if the boat is stored properly.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:50 pm For me it was the chance of a boarding sea, or if I take it over river bars. Unlikely to ever get used, but I'll sleep better with them in, so they go in.
I'll have a bung out the back and sides as well to stop water accumulating on the trailer, which again shouldn't happen if the boat is stored properly.
For true, it would be right to open them going thru inlets or bars as long as you keep the speed.

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

Good morning Ron
Quick ? for you. Is your motor a 20 " shaft or 25". I am getting conflicting info. JM said in one post that the 19.5 inch to the dwl is good for a 20" shaft. that measurement gets you 25.5" to the bottom of the hull. In my limited experience that was the measurement used to gage shaft length. i am confused.
Thanks
Roland