PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by FluidDynamic »

I have the Panga 20 which has a deck that's very near the waterline. I have the duck bill inserts on my gemlux suppers and I've never had water on the deck even with putting a couple of people on the rear of the boat.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

I finally decided to get rid of the scuppers! It is so nice not to have wet feet! I made wedge plugs and glassed them in like the scuppers were never there! I was glad to see EMC 2 offers a spray can for touch up painting. I drilled 1 1/2" holes in the scupper tunnels that drain into the bilge. In addition to my existing 2000 GPM bilge pump, I added an extra 4000 GPM bilge pump with a 2 inch hose exit above the water line just in case I get swamped. I pull the drain plugs when I get back for the wash down. If you are considering a PG25 build I highly recommend doing away with the self draining scuppers! I can now take people fishing without telling them to bring knee high boots!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Have you ever come close to taking any water over the side other than spray?

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hi Ron,
Do you have any additional suggestions for finishing out a Panga?

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:26 am Have you ever come close to taking any water over the side other than spray?
Never Fuzz in nearly 500 hours and I've been caught in some bad swells too. I don't go out when the weather is bad and I trust the bilge pumps and flotation will be enough to get me home if it ever happens. I have never completely understood the reason for the standing water and couldn't find a viable solution, but the Panga is so much more enjoyable now.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

PapaDave wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:51 am Hi Ron,
Do you have any additional suggestions for finishing out a Panga?
I think it's a great design and love the nice comments I get every time I'm at the ramp. I especially love the 4.6 miles per gallon I get with the 90 HP. The last time I was on a flat ocean I hit 31.3 mph on the downhill ride back! I like the aft storage compartments. I use one for safety supplies and cleaning products and use the other for tackle. The deck space and overall freedom to move around is also a nice feature. I usually fish with one other person, but the boat could handle 4 fishermen. I added a trolling plate to the outboard to get a 2.0-2.5 trolling speed, otherwise she idles at 4-5 mph. The weight of the 90 is 325 pounds, I would not go over that weight. She trims nicely and feels stable.

As I said above, I would not do the self bailing scuppers in the PG25. I also could not fit the 50 gallon gas tank suggested in the plan under the plan's design for a steering console. I had to put a 32 gallon custom tank under the casting deck. I'm not sure if it makes much of difference, but it might in a big following sea. I put the electrical connections and the batteries in the console, so that was a benefit. I strongly recommend glassing the underside of the gunnels and adding a foam stringer to the inside of the bow. (I don't remember if I posted pictures.) But this highly increased stability when going into a head sea or flying home. Prior to those additions, the boat shuddered and the gunnels developed cracks. I purchased a Stryker T-top at a very reasonable price, but had to stabilize it and then have it welded twice due to cracks because of movement. If you can afford a custom T-top, I would go that route. I purchased a stock live well tank if you fish live bait. The tank fit nicely at the back deck and serves as bait station and trash can/storage/fish hold when not in use. I can also fill it to add weight to the stern if needed. If you do add a bait tank, be sure and keep the pump as low as possible so it's easier to prime.

Overall I am happy with design of the PG25. It's a great looking, fun boat that I can afford to fish! Good luck with your build and message with any questions.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What a great list of improvements. Almost makes me think all the boats here could have a recommended add ons page.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Thank you for the list of improvements Ron. Did Fonda have any water on the deck when you went out in his boat?

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

PapaDave wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:07 pm Thank you for the list of improvements Ron. Did Fonda have any water on the deck when you went out in his boat?
Fonda's PG22 only a very small manageable amount. He told me it was not an issue. He fishes in sandals or bare feet in Hawaii. I have also noticed comments from other PG20 and PG22 owners that they have not experienced the same inflow of water. I surmise it's only an issue with my PG25, however; I have not heard from other PG25 owners.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Panga Ron it sounds like you are much happier with your PG25 than before you made the changes, congrats and happy fishing!!!! Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978