PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by jacquesmm »

I am watching but others posted good replies and I can't find anything better than the ball type scuppers.
I had some made with tennis balls on the outside. The balls were secured to the inside with a shock cord. You could drain by giving slack to the shock cord.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

I was thinking more along the lines of DWL and or displacement as i will be flipping soon and am thinking of raising my sole or draining the deck to the bilge with pumps

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

nightcrawler wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:06 am I was thinking more along the lines of DWL and or displacement as i will be flipping soon and am thinking of raising my sole or draining the deck to the bilge with pumps
I am thinking of draining to the bilge as well. I will add a second pump and outflow and wire to my second battery. JM, what do you think?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, drain in a small sump with a nice size pump. You still need closed scuppers but the sump will eliminate the wet feet.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Guys...the issue is the stern weight.

Pangas were never designed for massive 365 pound four strokes.

They were designed as an inexpensive, seaworthy option for fishermen around the world.

JM knows all about panga oroginal design. But I think the extra hundred pounds on the stern is a big problem here.

If the Cm is 11 feet from the stern, you are introducing an 1100 pound unplanned moment.

A 30 gallon tank at say 10 from the CM only offsets at 180 or 1800, but I don't know where the design tank belongs originally. Btw, the actual total moment for the 365# engine at 10' from Cm is 3650, so the tank only offsets half of the total! Not to mention the skipper and the batteries.

The reason I understand this is when I put on a Merc 50hp 4 stroke, my hole shot was terrible. My boat porpoised from the problem. A little surprised Ron isn't getting some porpoising on flat water as well.

A boat is a seesaw. The four strokes are great, but the weight is trouble.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct, the problem is weight and trim but right now, we try to solve the problem of water entering the scuppers.

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

Fallguy
I understand the concept of what you are saying. The math is beyond me. I will be hanging a 4 stroke off the stern. and will probably have a small bait well. That being said,I'm trying to keep my deck self draining as the boat will be kept at a dock. Moving the console forward,Fuel tank in the bow,batteries in the console and raising the sole are all options i am considering. Just hoping to avoid problems before they arise. I understand raising the sole will affect the stability of the boat but it may be a good tradeoff. Hopefully JM cam point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Roland

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If you suspect that you will have a bad trim or excessive weight, raising the sole is a good solution. It will have a small effect on that boat but nothing dramatic.
Even without raising the sole, the boat should rain at the dock but water may reach the scuppers once the crew comes onboard.
Raising the sole is easy: add 2" to the top of the stringers and floor frames.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Raising the sole is one solution and not a bad idea, but ultimately, you want the boat's design waterline to be level.

And. That should be achievable with static weight modifications.

However, if the ppi is around 400 pounds and you hang and extra 140 pounds on the stern, and offset it with ?200 pounds of lead shot bags up front; you will be an inch lower.

Pushing up the sole 2" raises all the centers of mass 2", and this adds to making a boat a wee bit less stable. The good news is the Pangas do not carry their weights up high. For example, you won't be pushing a cabin roof and solar up 2".

I don't like scuppers below the scumline.

Take JM advice and raise the sole 2". But, also realize the boat may not sit level even without a crew. And you may need some weight or stuff forward. And I don't know if the bulwarks are going to feel low, but the sheer does need to be considered. This is all for JM to consider because it is a bigger change to add to the sheerline height, bulwarks.

Ask Ron what he thinks about being up 2" higher. Sometimes, you could also put a 6" high rail along the hullsides if the boat feels like you can fall out too easily.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Fallguy,

I respectfully disagree that I have exceeded the weight recommendations of the PG25 plan. I lessened the size and moved the fuel tank to the bow. I also moved the batteries to the center. The PG25 plan clearly recommends not to exceed a 125 hp outboard and I went with a 90 hp. I have no significant weight at the stern and I weigh 185 pounds. The only non-plan addition is a 98 pound T-Top at the center and an empty 35 gallon live well. This boat is 28 feet overall and easily has the room to fish 4 adults. I am not trying to argue and am unfamiliar with the math you’re quoting, but I’m a practical guy and this boat was built as designed and should not have standing water.

As far as raising the sole, if I had to do it over again, I would not want a shorter freeboard. This is just my personal opinion. I do some crabbing, lobstering, and sometimes fish in long period 4-5 foot swells and I would not feel safe. I have friends over 6 feet tall and they wanted me to install a toe rail. The boat is designed narrow and when occupants move side to side, the boat can quickly rock.

I plan on closing the scuppers and going with a self draining bilge with pumps. I don’t store the boat in the water so rain water is not an issue.

Thank you for your help on this minor issue. It’s still a great, fun and especially economical fishing machine that gets positive comments everywhere she goes!