Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

Who am I kidding? I am far from done!

Yesterday, I did some fairing of boat doors and hatch lids.

I want to know what to do with these lockers. I wanted them to be rope lockers, but they would fill with rain.

The starboard side has a washdown hose in it. I accidentaly turned it on once without the cover on and sent water to God knows where, so the washdown connection should get moved outside. The hose can be stored inside, but avoiding sending water into the fuel locker would mean rerouting the outflow connection.

I do have drains in the oval side lockers. I found storing ropes is impractical, but the side locker is a great place to store a wet washdown hose.

I've not been eager to open the locker drains because the locker base is the same as the deck, so rainwater will flow in which is a design error by me. The drains just flow across the deck. I could modify the drains and lift the locker soles and point them out, but tons of work. Maybe the locker with the washdown hose needs it.

Anyhow, looking for help from the hive.

This small locker is designed as a dry locker. Which way should I hinge it? Flopping down means a slam latch. Lifting up makes it painful to use cuz you gotta hold it up. One on each side. In a perfect world, these may have been baitwells or kill boxes. I plan to store lead weights in these like downriggers or bottom gear...they are decent sized.
510CFBB5-5774-4D9B-83CD-7A6CDF1D5145.jpeg
These are the side lockers. Right now they have plastic on them, super cheesy, but I have been storing the washdown hose and the washdown outlet is inside the starboard side.

I have the doors for these in the paint room. The oval hatches do not have a seat for the lid, but I will make one and glue them on in the spring. These side lockers are sort of narrow, but big. Originally, I designed them to hold 2-4 6" fenders, but then I decided those fenders are too small for the boat. But I don't feel like redoing the doorways..
A7F05826-1D1D-457C-85EB-1C64ADF97E8C.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sorry no help with your hatch problem. You need to get that thing in the water and enjoy it some,not just work on it.
And holy-moly 300 gallons of epoxy is a bunch! That alone would kill a lot of building budgets!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Don't know if you are familiar with these https://www.boatoutfitters.com/hardware/gas-shocks but you can mount on left or right-side hatch and come in various lengths and weights of hatches. They keep the hatch closed on their own pretty tight. For the fender locker, I think you will have to bite the bullet and enlarge it or seal it off and get fender holders that attach to the rails. I know it will take you at least a week. :( I hate do overs too :!: :!: :!:

Good luck when spring comes :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:25 pm Don't know if you are familiar with these https://www.boatoutfitters.com/hardware/gas-shocks but you can mount on left or right-side hatch and come in various lengths and weights of hatches. They keep the hatch closed on their own pretty tight. For the fender locker, I think you will have to bite the bullet and enlarge it or seal it off and get fender holders that attach to the rails. I know it will take you at least a week. :( I hate do overs too :!: :!: :!:

Good luck when spring comes :D

Tom
The fenders are too wide for the locker :(

But keep the ideas coming, I do appreciate it!

I bought fender holders, but I have no good place to mount them. I have a forward locker I can keep them in, but I need to spend some time working on what to do with the fenders because my wife said no to the holders I bought because I had them in back and they look stupid. Up front, no railings, just rope lifelines..
0282C184-BBA4-4E09-A957-4AC9301B4D8B.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Work on the bb begins.

Just templating.
340D3038-8127-436B-8148-AE07EAF4D386.jpeg

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

I'm sure you've already spent hours and hours thinking about it. No one knows the boat better than you.

How long do you reckon to get to the point where all is done and you are happy?

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

mhd wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:58 pm I'm sure you've already spent hours and hours thinking about it. No one knows the boat better than you.

Mick
Well, the main thing is the boat cannot be low in the front or it will slam in small seas like 2'ers. The BBs will provide lift and buoyancy. It isn't about happiness; it is about meeting a standard of expectation that the boat is not 8.5" tipped down on 32'.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:32 pm
mhd wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:58 pm I'm sure you've already spent hours and hours thinking about it. No one knows the boat better than you.

Mick
Well, the main thing is the boat cannot be low in the front or it will slam in small seas like 2'ers. The BBs will provide lift and buoyancy. It isn't about happiness; it is about meeting a standard of expectation that the boat is not 8.5" tipped down on 32'.
Right, makes sense - 8.5" is a fair old amount. Do you have any idea how long it might take for the modification?

Good luck - I'll be following along.

MIck
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful FG!!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Today, I made a cardboard template. This is the y plane in the z direction, if my geometry works. But gives you an idea.
079CE5B4-A80F-4AFD-8B62-1976EDCA7308.jpeg