Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by TomW1 »

Dan what cape man said is correct. But just remember you are not loaded out for a normal trip yet. The first thing you need to do is balance the boat, do not worry about the splashing until the boat is balanced it may go away naturally since your bow low and stern high. Second you may have the motors mounted to high. Can you send me a side view of the hull so I can see what its shape is as it approaches the motor.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan what cape man said is correct. But just remember you are not loaded out for a normal trip yet. The first thing you need to do is balance the boat, do not worry about the splashing until the boat is balanced it may go away naturally since your bow low and stern high. Second you may have the motors mounted to high. Can you send me a side view of the hull so I can see what its shape is as it approaches the motor. You should not be having splashing from the motors if they are mounted at the right height. But let me see the hull shape before I comment further.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

We are adding bulbous bows to the boat to deal with the bow down issue.

The splashing is caused by water parting the transom bottom and deflecting up and hitting the engine and the jackplate opening. The boat probably needs an interceptor to direct transom flow out a bit more.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:04 pm We are adding bulbous bows to the boat to deal with the bow down issue.

The splashing is caused by water parting the transom bottom and deflecting up and hitting the engine and the jackplate opening. The boat probably needs an interceptor to direct transom flow out a bit more.
Dan, I say once again I want to see the side of the hull before you do any work on the motors. Who is designing the bulbous bows so that you know you have the right amount of lift. Bulbous bows are a real detriment in a planning hull. They will not help you at all once you are on plane as they will be above the water. You need to get your weight evened out. I am trying to help you here. Tom

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Boat only has a problem at rest Tom.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Any chance of unforeseen consequences of the addition to the hull?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:34 pm Any chance of unforeseen consequences of the addition to the hull?
Some higher risk of pitchpole, but not going 22 kts in big seas.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm
OneWayTraffic wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:34 pm Any chance of unforeseen consequences of the addition to the hull?
Banging the bow into the dock, pylons and other things because you can't see the extended bow even if it is only on the sides.

I watched an interview today with Richard Woods about shapes of the bow.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:28 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm
Banging the bow into the dock, pylons and other things because you can't see the extended bow even if it is only on the sides.

I watched an interview today with Richard Woods about shapes of the bow.
Definitely a valid point Ken. I was on automatic on that one..

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan, I am still not keen on changing your bow shape after thinking about it a couple of days. While you say it is only at the dock it will also be there when you get out caught out in heavy seas and have to slow down and waves are pounding down on the bow. Instead, do a weight test fill a bunch of 5Gal buckets on the stern with water, with each Gal weighing 8.33lbs until you level the boat. This will be much cheaper than building the bulbous bows. You can use lead or other weights in rear compartments to equal the amount of weight of the water you needed to balance the fore/aft weight. It may not be as much as you think. Tom