Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by les2021 »

Hi Dan

Just been catching up on your build. Just thought I would share a story with you . As I have mentioned my back ground was as a carpenter and joiner and having a construction company for many years.

Many years ago I won a contract to renovate a large Oast house ( big old barn type building ) into a wedding venue, the main area was about 40m X 70m. The floor was going to be oak plank !!! So we laid the oak plank over the entire floor it looked amazing. The clients were told to NEVER to leave the building without heating and try and keep it at a constant temperature year round. So two years later with new owners we were summoned to the property.....
The floor had bowed up in the centre of the room by about 1m, this though was not the worst of it. The outside wall on one side of the building had a crack down on opposite sides of the room and the oak had pushed the walls of the foundation. The heating had been left off during the winter months as no weddings and the previous owner did not inform the new owner to keep the room heated.

I have seen many instances of the strength of wood over the years, when I was an apprentice A HUNDRED YEARS AGO we were taken to jobs where skirting boards 8" high in mahogany which were screwed and pelleted had pulled away from the wall.

The moto of this story is wood will do as it pleases when it pleases.... very difficult to maintain constant temp on a boat !!

I found towards the end of my business life when using wide timber or jointed timber it was found that as mention narrow planks and reversing the grain was the way forward BUT also lines of saw cuts on the underside, also totally sealing the timber end grain as well. This though is not full proof as the timber moves with temperature and the seal coating splits. All modern timber floor now comes with saw grooves on the underside.

The best timber I ever used that seems to move least of all was Iroko, this is down to the oil content which is high.

Even with these small problems it's looking really fab.

Launch date ??? :D

Cheers

Les

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Had to pull all the varnish off with xylene. It would not dry. Stuff was old. Bought new Monday and it arrived Tuesday. Gonna varnish this morning.

Dad is pretty bad off, can't breathe well. Cancer is advanced. He is in some denial. I can't help Mom much with Covid uncertainty. Me n Jen tested negative, but Luke is positive; almost no symptoms.

Ordered a new fan system and got that yesterday. Also got cabinet slides and can make them.

Sanded the windshield frame and gonna paint white. The thing got dinged up from my putting the polycarbonate on the outside.

Recut the polycarbonates to fit on the inside and need to cut new pieces using the old ones as templates.

Need to make room in the paint tent for the windshield. Gotta get a few pieces painted.

Still need to spot glue the countertop in. I have it screwed from under, but that is not enough.

Cool story Les.

I gotta rewire my fan switches. Might install one on the helm.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy make sure you varnish both side both sides of the countertop equally. That way any moisture in the air will affect both sides equally. Something that is really important in high humidity areas. I'll pray for your Dad to have a painless life from now on.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I hit the back with a coat of epoxy.

Thanks for the note on Dad. Painless is the key here.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sorry FallGuy, I know your dad has been sick for some time!!! Wishing the best for him!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Keeping Dad out of pain is the main deal. My Dad's doc was an older/smart guy and wrote us a scrip for all the morphine we thought was needed. Other people worried about what he ate and my answer to them was if he wanted to start smoking and drinking I would bring him a bottle and a pack every day. No other opinion needed or desired. I may of harelipped some folks :roll:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, not sure if anyone knows, but I am on a quest to weigh the Skoota before the crane lift.

Why?

Imagine crane showing up and you are 1000 pounds over. What would you do? Trust the crane, not trust the crane? I gotta know.

There is a long thread on boatdesign.net that goes into the exploration as to how.

Here is the scale system I bought and built.

The load cells are mounted on 8"x12" c channel. I am gping to use them upside down. They will be easier than trying the other way. This is 'upside down'.
4D135B0E-C98A-43F0-A6CE-4885B4D93922.jpeg
4036887F-6299-4D54-9789-BCE2743F9807.jpeg
The way these work is they calculate the bending. These are rated for 4000# each!
6945A8F8-7F85-4D12-A6F5-EFC8AF9C8356.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I would think any crane that has enough boom to lift your boat with working room will be big enough to do the job. It will take a fair sized crane to do the job for you. The size will be more of a problem than the weight will be.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:36 am I would think any crane that has enough boom to lift your boat with working room will be big enough to do the job. It will take a fair sized crane to do the job for you. The size will be more of a problem than the weight will be.
I am just worried the boat won't make her lines due to overweight, not that the crane will have any issue.

It will cost 1500-2500 for the crane to come and lift the boat and tell me the weight. They want to use the stands in the transport, so those weights will be on the crane calc. If the crane shows up amd the boat is overweight, I have to set it back down, pay the crane guy and work to put her ona massive diet. The stands are probably like 750 pounds total, but all a guess.

I will weigh the stands on fairer weather.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, pretty sick still, can't taste. Sanded the 3 coats of varnish with 220 grit. Tried 320, but not really good enough.

Now gonna vacuum a bit more and let the dust settle overnight and try for a final coat.
3A2730E4-D839-4B71-8AC0-3904E5F14D20.jpeg