Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

Had a security camera warn me a 'person' was in view.

I asked him to leave via the camera and he did.
C0CA830C-3C2F-4481-B7B4-DDDE81C83783.jpeg
FC32E4F8-6DCD-42D1-9525-6DC1221BE024.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

That is funny!

I understand what you are saying but I don't have to like the options you have. Somewhere near the bow is an area that just keeps getting deeper as you add weight to the rear. So option, ONLY option, is to add Boyance to the hull itself at the bow to support any weight up there. There is a point in you hull that no weight should be past....and you passed it.
:( :(
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Beautiful heron there Dan. Guess that means good luck. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Correct me if I’m incorrect, but isn’t a large factor the reduced volume of the forward sections of the hulls? I believe you indicated the bulb was primary corrective of this difference.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Remember how I did not like the window rake?

I pushed the windows forward..and they are tempered
glass. Shifts weight to bow. Maybe 40 - 60 pounds in a ? 10' moment...

Can't move them!

Used plywood cores because only had 7" above the beam to support the cantilevered section. Can't change to corecell..
713D1CC6-C3B4-428C-AA18-A6AF54F11111.jpeg

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

FG , I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know , but I look at your beam location as I would look at pick points on a lift with a crane . I doubt the cantilever of your window adds much to the problem as the total weight of the pod rest on 4 points . Shifting weight or tweaking beam locations will take take care of balance , but not the over weight issues . I don't think striping everything off the boat that you want is the right thing to do at this point either , solar is nice to have . No matter what you strip you are going to have to add useful displacement to your boat ,and shift the load . Bulbs may get you to , or close to designed waterline , if not , or you are not satisfied with payload I would consider hull extension,s on the stern .

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

rick berrey wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:53 am FG , I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know , but I look at your beam location as I would look at pick points on a lift with a crane . I doubt the cantilever of your window adds much to the problem as the total weight of the pod rest on 4 points . Shifting weight or tweaking beam locations will take take care of balance , but not the over weight issues . I don't think striping everything off the boat that you want is the right thing to do at this point either , solar is nice to have . No matter what you strip you are going to have to add useful displacement to your boat ,and shift the load . Bulbs may get you to , or close to designed waterline , if not , or you are not satisfied with payload I would consider hull extension,s on the stern .
Like I said, the waterplane area is like a fine triangle. All weights on the tip of the triangle matter and they matter more than stern weights. This boat is very different than a skiff or monohull.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:31 pm Boat only has a problem at rest Tom.
If this is the case, doesn’t seem to be a safety or stability or comfort issue. Maybe cockpit drainage won’t work right. Cosmetic issue? Or just that you know it’s not right and it keeps you up at night? I’d understand that.

Why not just repaint the waterline? After moving whatever you can aft.

Have you calculated the bulb buoyancy moment compared to the weight movement you tried? I imagine you need something like 50-70 gallons of volume per side?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Matt Gent wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:23 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:31 pm Boat only has a problem at rest Tom.
If this is the case, doesn’t seem to be a safety or stability or comfort issue. Maybe cockpit drainage won’t work right. Cosmetic issue? Or just that you know it’s not right and it keeps you up at night? I’d understand that.

Why not just repaint the waterline? After moving whatever you can aft.

Have you calculated the bulb buoyancy moment compared to the weight movement you tried? I imagine you need something like 50-70 gallons of volume per side?
Everything is tilted the wrong way. Washing out the boat won't even work. Fish blood and goo will go forward. The thing needs fixing is all. The waterline thing is fine, but the error is about 1%, so in 48", the error is 1/2" or so. Then my bridgedeck clearance is about 5" too low which is a serious performance deficiency.

I have a NA in Japan assisting.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Got running pics in no wake zone!
22E96625-83DC-4E81-93CB-C5B7A467E963.jpeg
717C2037-F148-4B34-B86A-B54264B277A1.jpeg
6A0B9B6C-3B90-4CC5-A60B-C392D81A14E1.jpeg