D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Parkrat »

Cut the hole for the hatches and glued all the seats down. Filled in the edges around the seats with thickened epoxy. Cut the rub rail flush with the hull and sanded.. sanded... sanded and then sanded some more. I shaped the rub rail more with the sander.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

I finally covered the inside with a couple coats of epoxy. Today or tomorrow I'll screw down the hatches and maybe work on mounting the clamping board.. still trying to figure out the best way.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice looking work! Are going to leave it bright or paint it?
Never mind I went back a few pages and see your paint plan. Either way it sure looks good :wink:

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Hey Fuzz,

Thanks! Painting the inside with Pettit ezpoxy white.. then the outside will be platinum gray.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Looks real nice , what is the other boat hiding on the other side :?:
Novi 23 finally launched !

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Pretty sure that that is an FS17. I don't think anything has been done on it for a while.

I would use a rot resistant hardwood for clamping the outboard. My D5 has two layers of 9mm ply there, but a bolted chopping board on the back allows me to really screw in the outboard without damaging the transom paint. You need something that the clamps can sink into.
I am currently using duct tape on the other side, as a temporary measure to protect the paint only.

A local timber supply place gave me some Iroko samples for free, and I'll put one of those on when the chopping board bites it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice, Jeff

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Both boats look very, very nice!

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Yes, you are correct. It's an FS17. My girlfriend wanted a dinghy to tow behind our boat and I thought it would be fun to build one instead of buying one. Once the D5 is complete I finish the FS17. I'll want to build another boat after the FS17 so I need to get busy.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Screwed in the hatches and drilled holes for the clamping boards. Hung the motor just to see how it looked.

Onewaytraffic.. you're right. Just hanging the motor put impressions on the clamping boat. That's okay.. it was extra wood.

After hanging the motor I realized I should have put the hatch on the other side. I'm right handed, but I think sitting on the starboard side would have been better. I'll make a cushion or something to go over the hatch. Guess I need to learn how to sew now. :lol:

Last edited by Parkrat on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.