D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Parkrat »

Put the second of epoxy on this morning. After it cures I'll sand and put a couple coats of polyurethane.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice work!!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Don't know what the blocks are but in any case, it is such a thrill to see your projects take shape, especially if they are boats.
Tony

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice. You've got yourself a boat! The video link (on the previous page) of the motor test worked fine. Gurgle gurgle blub blub.... :D

Regarding the hatch... someone had mentioned using the cushioned floor mats from whatever source you could best obtain them. That is a great idea. You could use two layers. Lower layer would have a cutout for the hatch. Upper layer would be untouched. Rubber cement them together (or not) and you have an almost completely smooth cushion over the hatch. Recessing a hatch can become a project that spins out of control quickly, if you simply want a hatch, and want to get afloat quickly. Engineering can be rewarding, but it may be easiest to engineer the cushion. The cushion idea makes the hatch bump a non issue, more so on a workboat. :)

Either way, enjoy the build. :)

ks8

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, that is a better description of what I had in mind. Then instead of being a mistake, the location of the non-flush hatch becomes a feature, because it keeps your seat cushion from sliding off. :lol:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Yes indeed. Only other thing I can think of, if one takes that approach, is to work into the design some means of securing it to the boat, even if by a single corner, with a line through a reinforced hole, secured to a ubolt or other attachment point somewhere close by, in case the unexpected gust of wind (expect it!), decides to give your seat cushion to the dolphins as a plaything. It is a small detail, but a certain type of boater will appreciate the attention to detail, and the foresight. 8)

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

Those hatches look beautiful!

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Hey guys.. wanted to post an update. Life has gotten busy, but I've been working on the boats here and there. The D5 is done except for paint and a few cosmetic items. The rub rail turned out great and I've spent about 8 hours in it running around. Speed with my girlfriend and I maxes out around 6mph. I was hoping for 8 :D It handles the chop very well. I love this little thing.. Haven't towed it behind my boat yet. I'll upload a lot more picture of the progress. Here are a couple. We were going to name it "First Born", but decided on "Plan B" since we will be towing it.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

A few more..

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very well done!!! Jeff