D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: D5 Build

Post by Fuzz »

You have so good with that it would be a shame to cover it up with paint. I know bright is a lot more work but dang that looks nice.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Nice.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Thanks guys. I think with the rub rail varnished as well as the knees and clamping board it should have some good contrast with the paint. I'm working on the knees now. I'll try take some pics tonight. They will be from leftover african mahogany as well.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

I sketched out some knees made them out of MDF until I got the look I wanted. The used it as a template on the mahogany. Used a sander to shape the edges. Will epoxy then varnish.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Those are much nicer than the knees on my D5. Mine are just plain triangular 3/8" ply with thin battens on the bottom lips to enhance grip a little.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

I never thought about doing triangles. That would have looked nice and been easier. :lol: I looked at yours, but didn't pay attention to them. Large enough triangles with holes would be a drink holder as well!

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Mine have 3/8" holes in them for the sheet horse, which is just a piece of line run through and knotted on the underside, and a stainless ring runs along it for the sheet. I made them triangles mainly because I was being lazy and I didn't think it would really look any worse. And it allowed me to put a piece of straight batten running along the lower lip. When using a knee as a grab handle, it really gives you something to grip.

I went a little different from the plans in that I didn't use any fasteners to attach them, either... I bedded them in putty with fillets, and keyed the mating surfaces with a dremel tool. Oh yeah, and said fillets were two of the locations where I used milled glass fibers in my putty mix, and I put some light tape on the underside of the joint where it doesn't show, so they shouldn't go anywhere even without any screws.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Hope everybody is doing well! Been using the dinghy, but brought it back home to finish it over the winter. Sorry I haven't been updating this thread. Life seems to be so busy these days..

I forgot to take pictures of the knees when I put them on. Didn't use any fasteners.. just thickened epoxy.

I sanded throughout and applied Pettit primer. I think I put on 3 coats.

Then rolled/tipped Pettit Epoxy color platinum. 3 coats. I'm impressed how it turned out. I put a coat of wax on too.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Then flipped it and started working on the inside. I decided to add non skid to the floor. Sanded and primed.

Taped off the floor and added non skid.

Then painted with Pettit ezpoxy semi gloss white. Put all the bits back on.

The plan to name it "Plan B" got changed and it's now "First Born". That wasn't my choice :lol:

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

We are really happy with it! It's officially complete. We might add oar locks, but that's it. I have lights for it that I keep in the front compartment. Also, have a tiller extension for when I'm by myself and sit in the middle. The back hatch faded and has a slight yellow coloring. It's the same brand as the in front and it's still white. Not happy about that...