D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Parkrat »

I worked on it most of the afternoon after doing yard work. It's hot here today so I had to finally stop around 5. I was starting to feel funny. Been over 100 degrees here the last few days. I'm working on designing some knees.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Parkrat wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 pm I worked on it most of the afternoon after doing yard work. It's hot here today so I had to finally stop around 5. I was starting to feel funny. Been over 100 degrees here the last few days. I'm working on designing some knees.
It's been hoooooot here too w/ HI over a hundred for most of last week.

Your little boat is going to fly!!!

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

That's nice work. Amazing how much simpler they are without all the sailing stuff.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

I'm shopping for some trim tabs now. My goal is to get her on plane.. :lol: JK..

I've never sailed or even been on a sail boat, but I think I would enjoy it. Might be something I think about in the future.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Simple fix for the hatch. Drive the boat backwards.

You're welcome. :P

Seriously, for the clamping board I wouldn't use any epoxy on it at all. Just a bit of varnish or polyurethane clearcoat. It will last years and is replacable.

The outboard clamps leaving impressions is desirable. It gives a better grip and there will be less chance of it shaking loose. The way you have it set up is great. The D5 is a fantastic boat for trout fishing. We catch rainbows from ours up to several pounds. I would say it's better than a bigger boat. More stealthy.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Move the hatch. It is just epoxy and wood so no big step. If not you will be unhappy every time you sit on that uneven surface. But that is just me :roll:

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

I'll put it in the water in the next few weeks to see if she leaks and will see how it feels. I might move the hatch. Fuzz.. you're right. Would be easier to do it now.

I'll probably do some red and spec trout fishing in the flats along the coast.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'm sitting on my hatch. Almost the same place. Hardly ever notice or care. Maybe mine is a bit more flush.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Best/easiest solution for the hatch at this point would be to make a foam cover for it to use as a seat. Get some of the thinner foam that is used for anti-fatigue floor mats or for sleeping pads for camping, make it oversize, and glue strips around the border on the bottom around the hatch cover so it will stay in place. I made a foam rowing seat for my D5 out of the floor mat material, that has a tab that sticks down in the daggerboard slot. It provides a bit of a cushion and keeps water from the daggerboard slot off me when I am rowing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/gray-anti-fati ... lsrc=aw.ds

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Thanks for all the advice. I put a coat of epoxy on the clamping boards and tomorrow morning I'll sand and put another coat on. It's over 100 degrees here so there are a few bubbles I'll need to sand. Then I'll put on a couple coats of polyurethane on them.

Drilled the holes for the bow eye. Used some qtips to put a couple coats of epoxy in all the holes. They work pretty good. :D

Built a stand for the Suzuki DF2.5 and filled it with oil. First time running it! Ran it on idle for about 30 minutes. I just stared and watched it. My first outboard. We actually might splash it this weekend. If so I'll take video. Will be my first completed boat!

[youtube]S6wPvPKbfrQ[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wPvPKbfrQ

Not sure if the video will show up...
Last edited by Parkrat on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.