Reefie's LB26

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Reefie's LB26

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome to the Forum and a great start on your LB26. Keep the pictures coming. Sure would like to follow this build to the end.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Welcome to the fun Reefie :D Looking at the transom mold this is going to be an inboard? Do you have the power picked out yet?
Hi Fuzz, yes I'm going for an inboard shaft drive. JM has recommended a Nanni 200Hp diesel, but they only do a 205Hp now (which is on a Toyota block), or maybe go with a Volvo Penta D3 220Hp diesel. Both of these should be super economical, with a top speed of around 30+mph. I am more interested in safety,reliability, comfort, and economy as opposed to just pure speed.
"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

reefie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:13 am I'm going for an inboard shaft drive. JM has recommended a Nanni 200Hp diesel, but they only do a 205Hp now (which is on a Toyota block), or maybe go with a Volvo Penta D3 220Hp diesel. Both of these should be super economical, with a top speed of around 30+mph. I am more interested in safety,reliability, comfort, and economy as opposed to just pure speed.
Very interesting. I hadn't realised that with sufficient horses, LB26 could be a 30+mph planing hull. I've been thinking of her as a 50hp 18mph semi-displacement one.

Great project. Looking forward to seeing how you're going to fashion her above that beautiful hull. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Before you pick a diesel make sure and look at the parts cost. I have a Volvo, Cat, Cummins and Perkins. The Volvo is far and away the most expensive to work on. But just like outboards the dealer will make or brake the deal.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have the plans for the LB26. I really like the boat tons. I think the most memorable thing about the oshow build was the fairing work. He said he could have avoided some with better prep. I don't know if that means a skeleton or what
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

First LB26 Thread! Added to build threads page! 8)

Nice work on the frames, is that blue painters' tape to keep the fillets from sticking?

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

bateau-webmaster wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:54 pm is that blue painters' tape to keep the fillets from sticking?
That's how all the pro's do it :wink:

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Before you pick a diesel make sure and look at the parts cost. I have a Volvo, Cat, Cummins and Perkins. The Volvo is far and away the most expensive to work on
Thanks for the heads-up Fuzz. I have have been looking at other makes, but there are few choices to keep within JM's specified weights and hp range.

is that blue painters' tape to keep the fillets from sticking?
Hi Jamie, Peter is correct - it is blue masking tape and it's to stop the epoxy sticking to the temp molds.
"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Reefie, for what it's worth, my Australian experience over the years has been that there is little difference in routine nmaintenance parts costs between Volvo Penta, Beta/Nanni (Kubota) and Yanmar. I stress I'm talking maintenance parts here, not rebuild parts, which I suspect Fuzz may be referring to.

When I recently repowered on my sailboat, working back from the boat's specs, it came down to a choice between these three, and I went with the Volvo.

For the ST21 I'm currently building, I've gone for a bespoke Australian assembled WM Diesel marinised Kubota, because JM's ST21's called for a bespoke engine gearbox combo, WM Diesel could deliver, and they do high quality marinised Kubotas.

If I was building an LB26 in Oz, I'd go with whatever reputable brand that met JM's specs most cost effectively.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Thanks for the diesel engine info Glossie.

With regard to your Kubota engine, just thought I let you know that I run the same 3 cylinder diesel engine in 3 Kubota mowers, and I have clocked up more than 3000 hours in each with no mechanical issues whatsoever - they are bulletproof! I'm sure you will be extremely happy with your engine.