Reefie's LB26

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Reefie's LB26

Post by Fuzz »

While I have no love for Volvo diesels I am sure they are good as they sell a bunch of them world wide. When I was building fishing boats I could buy Volvo's with OME status. As an original equipment manufacturer, boat builder, I could buy a Volvo at a deeply discounted price. You as the builder might be able to do likewise. If so it will save you a pretty penny.

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Thanks for the tip Fuzz, I'll have to look into it when the need for motorization draws closer.
"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I don't know a lot about diesel marine engines, but I have a 76 hp Perkins lawnmower that only stopped running one time and that was an electric wire. Had nothing to do with the engine or its parts and the hour meter stopped at 4500 or so. Always kind of fun when the motor outlasts the hour meter, well, within reason. It burns a little oil and it has a leak here or there, but it cuts grass, lotsa grass.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd take JM's advice on the motor.

I am taking my designer's recommend on the motor. I even tried to tweak the concept and make it bigger, etc. In the end, he had already picked the best motor for me.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Hi guys,

A little more progress to report.

I have decided to strip plank the transom and bottom plates in timber. The timber I'm using is very light - approx 260kg/m3. I guess this will add about 30 to 40kg to the overall boat weight, but will make construction much easier. It also has far greater compressive strength than Divinycell H80.

I have also done the sheer clamp with timber too as it will make adding the rub rail easier.

However, I will do the topsides, internals and superstructure with Divinycell H80.

"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

Wow, nice very clean!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Reefie!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Those pretty lines already show, that should be a nice looking hull when it's done. It looks like you work very neatly!
Hank

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Thanks for your flattering comments fellas.
Its always good to start off a project with high expectations and standards - I just hope I'm able to maintain these aspirations through to the end of the build :wink:
Those pretty lines already show, that should be a nice looking hull when it's done
Pee Wee, I must admit that I took a nice glass of wine up to the shed and sat there admiring the beautiful hull shape too. I cant wait to start laying some planks.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Reefie,

I'm interested and impressed by your choice between Divinycell, strip planking and timber clamps. I like the no nonsense approach - whatever gets the job done strongly and easily is chosen.

It's already obvious that this is a build thread to follow and learn from. Thanks for documenting your logic and progress. That LB26 is about the prettiest design on this forum, if the above deck structure is got right, is a bonus. :D

What part of the wild west are you in?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

topwater

Post by topwater »

How much will the lamination schedule change for the wood strip portion of the build.
Novi 23 finally launched !