FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank Jeff!
pee wee wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:52 am
OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:44 pm You can see the oversize cleats I used in the corners. Will sand this area a lot to get a nice curve and hope it doesn't stay looking so boxy.
If you're referring to how boxy the cleats are, why not trim them up to taste? It would have been easier to shape them before gluing, but some careful work with a chisel and small plane would put a bevel on the corners. My first thought was a router with an offset base, but you probably don't have one and I'm not sure that would do any better. Good to see you're making some real progress on the Bayou City Boat!
No, the cleats were made with the correct angles to fit in the corners and were made bigger so I could round the outside corners with a bigger radius. I just started rounding them with a 18" belt sander and 80 grit belt. Takes a lot of material off fast. I don't have a squared off corner and still have enough cleat to offer support.

Overhead view:

The port side before any sanding, note how squared it is.

After playing with that for a while I decided I needed to get the dash fitted and glued in. Have today at a low 71 degs then next 2 days wet with highs in low 60s. So the two days of low temps the dash can set up and cure.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Sorry, OQ, I was trying to find more work for you when that's the last thing you need. What I was looking at was the inside of the windscreen and the square corner that would now be awkward to work on! I thought that was what you referred to, or I wouldn't have said anything.

You're making good progress, keep at it and don't let outside influences sandbag you.

Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

pee wee wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:49 am Sorry, OQ, I was trying to find more work for you when that's the last thing you need. What I was looking at was the inside of the windscreen and the square corner that would now be awkward to work on! I thought that was what you referred to, or I wouldn't have said anything.

You're making good progress, keep at it and don't let outside influences sandbag you.
Thank you! I appreciate your questioning what I am doing...sometimes I question that myself! :doh:

Most of that cleat will be covered by the dash panel and there will be a cap across the windscreen to strengthen it more. I can see the windscreen being used to pull up from the seats or leaning over to access the bow lockers.
Last edited by Jaysen on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formatting fix
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks, Jaysen for the edit. I saw what I did but didn't know how to fix it. Sorry. :oops:

The rain and colder temps are gone for a few days, see what I can get done in that time. As I think about what is left the list seems to be getting longer. Maybe I need to stop thinking and get doing! :roll:
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

With a forecast of temps getting in the 70s today I started grinding away on my build at 4 this morning. The epoxy glue was hard enough to pull off, what seemed like hundreds of clamps, to start with flush route bit on the gunnel cap edges. Then sanded the sides smooth. Next was a round over on both edges. Lots more sanding from 80 grit down to 220. By daylight, still a bit cool for my Houstonian blood, I push the boat outside to do the other side of the gunnel edges. Lots of wood chips and sawdust. Both sides done, I started on the dash.

Final test fitting of the dash and by noon I was applying neat epoxy to coat the wood. 3:00 PM the dash is glued in and clamped up.

You can see the sun is warming things up nicely, but now the waiting game. Few parts due in on Monday, should also start priming everything that doesn't have paint on it yet. Tuesday a forecast of rain, EVA foam will be delivered, and temps start to drop again. It has been taking 48 hours for the slow hardener to get hard in low 60s. Not much left to glue up!!
It is now beer o'clock. :)
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

That's a dang long day, don't think I could do it. Must be satisfying though.

Dougster

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Dougster wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:35 am That's a dang long day, don't think I could do it. Must be satisfying though.

Dougster
I love going out and just rubbing my hand on those gunnels. They are smooth, very smooth!

Temps here in Houston are a rollercoaster. Highs tomorrow in the high 70s -low 80s then 40s that evening. Have slow hardener curing, which the temp was 76 when applied and pushed back in the warehouse. Should be cured before the cold weather hits.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Started my morning at 3:00 this morning check weather forecast. Temps were still dropping and was about 53 or so with forecast of a high of only 60 and overcast. So I figured no epoxy work today. Foam came in and I started to plan on installing the gaskets for all my hatches. The goal is only to keep the hatches from rattling, not form a waterproof seal. With the foam I ordered a got a sheet of "skin" foam. It's only 1/16" thick with a skin on one side. Daylight rolled around and push the boat outside to move a table under my lights to start cutting the gaskets.

I laid the foam out and put my hatch templates on top of them, cut the outline. Used marine grade adhesive to glue the foam into the hatch opens and used the templates to press them down with weights. About noon everything was dry enough to trim them up. Razor knife and just followed the inside lip as a guide. BTW, became a cloudless sky with a high of 70 deg.
But already had the gasket project going so wanted to finish it up.

Started sanding and prepping the dash for primer coats. Had to drill out the oversized, then filled holes to mount the GPS/fish finder and stereo, switch panels and so on. I used everything as templates to make sure the holes were in the exact right spots. I then decided to just leave it all overnight and take a few pictures. If this thing doesn't float, then maybe the only chance of pictures I get!
Port side view:
Starboard view:
Had to get a picture with the cowling in it:
No cowling and a little closer:
And closer!:
The money shot! 8) The switch panels do not have screws holding them in so a little droppy.

I was to tired to take it all out and pack it all back away so that will be the pre-dawn thing I'll do while having my morning tea.

EDIT: Also took a little time to line up and drill holes to mount the docking cleats. Nothing but a little more bling in SS and folding.
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Wow, you've got the steam up and you're rolling pretty good! :D
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin