FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

If there was ever any doubt, this boat does not have a casing deck.

Finished with the stainless-steel attachments. I still need to get a SS clam shell cleat for the aft anchor line.

Wait, if it's not in the water can it be called the anchor line and not rode? Or is it an anchor rode once it is attached to the anchor?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Put it in the water and I'll answer the question! Close...very close...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I wish that when it comes to switch panels you could order the metal panel, pre-drilled and holes cut for switches, then add the breakers and switches you want to wire them DIY style. My pre-wired bilge switches have the breakers on the ground side. Which you have to have the same gauge wire for both positive and negative all the way to the switches...yeah, I re-wired that. Now I can use 16-ga to power the LED lights and ground the pumps to the main buss. Same with my pre-wired switch panel. Their ground is just to ground the lights on each switch when it is on. Doesn't need 10-ga for those little, tiny bulbs. Since the switch panel and the bilge pump switches are so close, they will share a single run ground.

Ordered some blue LED bulbs for the gauges to match the blue LED lights in the wells. Also waiting on some custom made cables for the battery to breaker, to main switch for each battery and grounds to the main buss. Also ordered a small terminal block to connect all the positive runs and not have 5 or 6 terminals at the main switch. Still need to make the gauge lights wiring harness and looking at getting a remote dimmer for the dash lights just in case they are too bright.

Not sure how much it needs to be completed to have the game warden inspection but would like to get that done so I can start breaking in the motor. Think it needs the seats mounted for that inspection? I kind of like laying on my back doing all the wiring without squeezing through them. :roll:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Really doubt that you need the seats in. Here in Blanco the warden was mostly just checking that it was really a home build and not a stolen boat I think.

Dougster

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Dougster wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:46 am Really doubt that you need the seats in. Here in Blanco the warden was mostly just checking that it was really a home build and not a stolen boat I think.

Dougster
That is what I am hoping. I can barrow the safety gear from our canoe and show that I have those but to hold the seats mounts in I have to glue cleats to the floor.

But I came up with a solution. I started cutting and trimming the EVA foam I got for floor covering. It will be nice to lay on to wire in my electrics. Then I will lay the seat mounts on top of the flooring and just cut around them. I will also leave the foam under the passenger mount to pad the fuel tank, just cutting the foam out for the cleats.
The EVA foam was the cheapest I could get and isn't too dense. If I like it, I will replace it with the more expensive and denser stuff that will hold up better. Right now, I love walking on it.
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice OQ!! Jeff

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:02 pm I wish that when it comes to switch panels you could order the metal panel, pre-drilled and holes cut for switches, then add the breakers and switches you want to wire them DIY style. My pre-wired bilge switches have the breakers on the ground side. Which you have to have the same gauge wire for both positive and negative all the way to the switches...yeah, I re-wired that. Now I can use 16-ga to power the LED lights and ground the pumps to the main buss. Same with my pre-wired switch panel. Their ground is just to ground the lights on each switch when it is on. Doesn't need 10-ga for those little, tiny bulbs. Since the switch panel and the bilge pump switches are so close, they will share a single run ground.
New wire marine will make you a panel like that. They will also make you one with components or fully wired, but if you want just the holes cut they will do that.
https://newwiremarine.com/custom-marine-switch-panels/

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

joe2700 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:10 pm New wire marine will make you a panel like that. They will also make you one with components or fully wired, but if you want just the holes cut they will do that.
https://newwiremarine.com/custom-marine-switch-panels/
Yes, I looked into that. The cost of their panel with switches and breakers was out of my budget. I like the price of their circuit breakers, but the cost of their switches is too much. Even though I like that the switches come with function printed on them and they light up. Don't really like the shape of them.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well, after I stopped "all production" on getting the boat finished, I measured and checked the lengths, the ring connectors and the number of cables I still need to go from each battery to each main breaker, from breakers to the main power switch, from power switch to the terminal block. I ordered all custom-made cables and coming in somewhere around Thursday. The correct size ring connector ends came in today with more of the correct gauge wires. Also got my blue LED bulbs in to put in the 3 gauges. White LED bulbs for the anchor light also is here.

Had to order heat shrink connector ends and butt connectors from Wal-Mart and they were coming from 3 different places, all free shipping, one is directly from China via USPS then to UPS and I think back to USPS :doh: . For the price I paid for 25 connectors the local suppliers wanted the same price for 5 and they didn't have them in stock. Had to get more wire from a difference source also due to my normal source was out. Anyway.

I am excited to get back to work on my dash but don't know if I want to pull an all nighter to get it wired up or wait till, I am not so tired, and body not quit as sore. The answer would be very easy if I was 20 years younger. I did pop all the LED bulbs in, and I love the slight blue glow inside the gauges. I may need to find a dark place and see how they look in total darkness. Can't wait to post pictures of what the dash looks like in the dark...on the water!

My Game Warden inspection is scheduled for Jan 26th. Hope it isn't raining.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

After pouring over the wiring schematics of my motor, I was thinking I had it figured out. The schematics show the wiring with different options and the harness has the wiring for them all. Like a Suzuki tach with warning lights, trim angle meter and a multi gauge would all just plug right into the wiring harness because the plugs are there. The image of a tach shows the factory tach and wiring on the top side a non-factory tach, two different connections. But doesn't say it, just have to "understand" which wiring you need to use. It started as just a theory but only way was to cut the bullet connectors off and add ring connectors. With fingers crossed I turned the key on, tach gauge needle zeroed out and the hour meter was visible. Hit the start button and tach went to 900 rpm then settled at 800 rpms. What a relief when it worked and no smoke. Because there were also another "key on" wire right there in the harness I used it to connect my analog voltmeter too, which worked great at showing the charging system kicking in. I now have 2 small digital meters reading off both batteries so even if I am only using one I can see the state of them both without having to use the main power switch.

Only a few more things before it will be a completed boat and after the registration process is over it will be splashed on the same day!
A. A. Milne