FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest

FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

Our kayak season has ended at our last venue so the warehouse is being cleaned and room made for all the gear and boats. We then inventor everything and start getting ready for a big regatta at the beginning of March to start our season. While cleaning and making room for everything I had to move the FS14 out so I pulled the cover off the stern to access the rear frame on one side.

Pulled out the isolating multi-tool and installed a half moon blade. First time ever using this type of tool so tried different speeds and method.
The frame is filleted but not taped but still cutting through epoxy glue. Got the best results at medium high and swinging the tool as I cut to help keep the teeth cleared and from over heating any one spot on the blade. It cut clean and smooth...I liked the results and the blade was just starting to show wear at 1/3 to 1/2 way done.

I hope one blade will last for each frame and then one for each stringer. Not sure if I will be cutting out the front frame, it has been taped and heavily glassed. I did notice flex in the side of the boat where I started cutting and seen pictures of straps holding the sides in place. I am guessing I should put a board across the beam where the straps are to keep everything rigid as I cut?

In my mind I calculated that I will need 4 yds of the cloth to lay on the inside after I take everything out. BOM says 115 yards of tape but the outside is done. Thinking it would be safe to just order 2 rolls because I will be needing it for the sole and console too.

This was just a test run to try out the tool and see how fast this part is going to take. The tool cut very close to the surface of the side so should not need much sanding before laying the cloth. Real work on the boat begins over the holiday weekends.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by cape man »

Post pics if you can for the next person.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Started cutting out the frames this morning. Here is a picture of the frame where it met the stringer.

Here are the two cutting attachments I used. The half moon is on a variable speed multi tool and the plunge is on the single speed. Price was to good at HF to pass up. Bought the bigger one with the cutting blades and the little one was $5 more. And who likes to keep change blades?
Was slow but easy to cut the frame flush to the hull with the half moon and the plunge blade did the angles. It is slow but clean. Just enough pressure to keep the blades cutting but not so much the blades get to hot keeps them from getting dull to fast.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

All but the bow frames are removed. Also removed the stringers. It looks like cloth was laid from the forward middle bench frame to the bow.
Still need to fillet the seams, tape and lay cloth on the rest of the inside.
Can see in this image the stringers did not go all the way to transom. The front frame is also to short, want the deck to go up higher.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Ok, so it wasn't the best weather today for doing anything outside but I rolled the FS14 hull out and glued the inside transom piece in and added the filler to raise the transom motor cut out back up for a 20" shaft motor. Used three 1/4"X20 bolts with wing nuts to apply pressure to the bottom of the new piece and got a fair amount of squeeze out when I tightened them up. Then just used clamps for the top of the transom. Because I was afraid that when I wanted to pull the bolts out they would be glued in I wrapped then in Teflon tape ( have a few rolls from all the pipe repairs in the warehouse).
Figured it would be easier to drill the tape out than the steel bolts.

I know everyone likes pictures but with some of you guys being under the weather I didn't want you guys laughing to hard and hurting yourselves. I will wait till after I can take the clamps off for the pictures, may need to do a little cleaning up first!

Going to wait till the filler part is sanded down before adding the outside transom piece of the sandwich.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Looks like thing are going good. Weird that the stringer did not go all the way to the transom.
Here is a photo of my under deck/sole with pvc pipe as wire runs and drainage. Did this same setup up on a few Gheenoes that I installed false floors, worked out great. I will be pouring in foam.
73.jpg

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Capt UB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:10 am Looks like thing are going good. Weird that the stringer did not go all the way to the transom. First builder had an extra frame and the splash well went all the way across so with an extra frame, the splash well and a smaller motor it may have been strong enough but I am going in a different direction.
Here is a photo of my under deck/sole with pvc pipe as wire runs and drainage. Did this same setup up on a few Gheenoes that I installed false floors, worked out great. I will be pouring in foam.
Capt UB I was wanting to get the transom raised back up so I can cut new stringers with the knees going up even with the transom to form the sides of a splash well. I am also putting in a sole with a center console. After the epoxy cures, I will be doing the fillets and taping all around the transom on the inside and then do the seams on the rest of the hull and lay glass on everything on the inside. (Will double check the plans to make sure when the glass gets laid). Then stringers and frames. I like the PVC drain you put in and may do the same. I know all my chase tubes will be ran down the center and once all that is done any unused space will have floatation foam, including under the sole. I was thinking I would have a 3 piece sole which would be one on each side and then one in the middle that I would put in last. That way if I screw up I lose less wood. :? Like you, me and wood don't always see eye to eye.

I have visions as to what and how I want things but as it comes together I have to then consider reality and what really can be done.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

For some reason, I thought a 4x8 sheet would fit without cutting it in half! Forgot that the boat is wider then 4'.... Your idea of three part to the sole maybe a good Idea. The center will be walked and stood on the most, so you could add ply under for more straight?
83.jpg

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

One of the things I have been doing that saves me from wasting my more expensive marine grade plywood is making patterns out of reclaimed plywood. There is a furniture warehouse I pass on the way to my work and when they deliver a new table it comes incased in very cheap plywood which they leave out by their dumpster. It comes in different thickness and because it's very poorly glued together it is very easy on my saw blades- If I don't hit a missed staple that is. I measure, mark and then cut out what ever I am trying to make, then test fit it and trim as needed. Once it is the way I like it I then just clamp it to my good wood, trace it and then cut it out. It will come in handy when I cut out my stringers, additional frames and then the sole. I don't mind as much screwing up wood I reclaimed and just have to throw it back away!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

That's a great Idea. I have been using the cheap 1/4 ply, that starts adding up...