FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by pee wee »

I should have known you had already done the thinking and planning on the hatch ergonomics! I was afraid you'd be on tiptoe, putting weight on the windscreen to reach your anchor, but it looks like no problem!
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

pee wee wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:51 am I should have known you had already done the thinking and planning on the hatch ergonomics! I was afraid you'd be on tiptoe, putting weight on the windscreen to reach your anchor, but it looks like no problem!
:lol: :lol: YES! I am old and so plan on not having to climb around to much. The "windscreen" will be strong enough that if some young person wants to lay on the forward deck to sunbath then it will work nicely. 8)

Even though the boat will have work duties, at times (mostly) it will also be used for just pleasure.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

So we normally have mild winters where it dips down a few times in the lower 40s or so a year and once every few years freezing temps. But the final stretch to finish my build, the temps are staying in the 40s and 50s. Which the sun came out and got up to the high range of 50s. All I have left is SLOW hardener, needs to be 70 degs plus to use. Forecast is saying we will remain below 70s for the foreseeable future. Now I know how some of you more northern builders feel this time of year. Our winter isn't here till after the new year! Then it's till the end of February. Few years ago we got a big deep freeze where temps were in the 20s for almost a week. Then in March we were in the 70s and 80s. This blows! :?

Mixed the last of my medium and fast hardener together, (drained the jugs into a mixing cup) weighed in at 49 grams. So, I poured in about 110 grams of resin yesterday to glue up a few critical pieces and still waiting today for the epoxy to reach hard cure to sand, can't even remove the clamps right now. I am risking laying a piece of glass across the dash panel which can't go in until I can glue in the windscreen piece. At these temps it's taking 3 to 4 full days for the epoxy to get hard.

All my pieces for the gunnels, chase tubes and everything else I can figure out has been done. Just waiting on Mother Nature to turn the heat up a little. So much for trying to finish this thing this year.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

A portable radiator style heater and a tarp will speed thing up for you. That’s how I manage “winter” epoxy work.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:49 pm A portable radiator style heater and a tarp will speed thing up for you. That’s how I manage “winter” epoxy work.
Hmmm? I do have a couple of 10'X10' canopies with walls I could put up and a Mr Heater propane camp heater that could push these low 40s up some. But I may get one less day of waiting and waste a lot of propane. I would have to heat the inside of the cockpit due to needing to glue in the ribs and gunnel cap pieces.

I think this is Mother Nature's way of making me have patience. It feels like waiting in a long line to go pee due to many stadium beers.
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Avoid propane. Adds a lot of moisture which could increase blush opportunity. If you are ok dealing with blush, use what you’ve got. I’m lazy electric for me.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:23 am Avoid propane. Adds a lot of moisture which could increase blush opportunity. If you are ok dealing with blush, use what you’ve got. I’m lazy electric for me.
Yeah, I know of the moisture in propane, it's 92% here and rainy so it wouldn't matter much...maybe make it 100%? Tomorrow forecast is low 60s and sunny, I think, but a better day to do gluing up of stuff. On the upside with this epoxy taking so long to cure, get a lot of time to soak deep into the wood. A neat coat will look dry after the first 24 hours and then a coat of "glue" will bond very nicely.

I am having to wait for my PEVA foam flooring to get here anyway. That will be one of the last things to go down. It's the same foam used for paddleboards and jet ski seats. It should hold up fairly well, just white may stain easier. Our SUPs I just sand the stain a little, bleach/tide and stain come right off. They stain with red clay mud all the time. It is also very light weight. I didn't want to go with the grit in paint route. I have been using the stuff the last few years and happy with it.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Here is the wind deflector test fitted while it was so cold (43 deg). You can tell that it is cold, dark and damp from the lighting. That is during the day.
Side view. The sides are glued and cured so I can now mount the front piece. The sides have had more than 48 hours to harden, they are close. It reached upper 50s before dark, so I went ahead and glued the front piece on. It's a nice fit with lots of overhang to sand down.
Night and day difference! Wheeled the boat outside once it got to the high 50s this morning, it's now 71 with 39% humidity. Can see the front piece has been glued on and just needs a few days to cure and get rock hard.
You can see the oversize cleats I used in the corners. Will sand this area a lot to get a nice curve and hope it doesn't stay looking so boxy. Will also sand down the top of the front piece to add a little more arch to it.
Final test fitting the gunnel pieces. After this picture I did the other side and now all pieces have had a coat of neat epoxy and will be doing the glue up here in an hour or so.
Next few days are forecasted to be scattered thunderstorms and temps reaching mid 70s again. Back to a normal winter. Shouldn't affect the cure to much.

I was trying to take advantage of the sun coming out and warming the parking lot up quickly and with my boat out there, it also warmed up quickly. My neat coat was still wet but soaked into the wood nicely and so was trying to get everything glued up into place while things are still warming up. The parking lot next to us only has trees along the fence line and the lawn service is out the second time this week, for next door. The blower guy keeps walking back and forth blowing all the leaves over to our side of the fence, which is where I pushed my boat so it would be in the shade of the trees. :? After yelling at him there wasn't much more I could do but push my boat back into the warehouse. Which I noticed is starting to warm up nicely, so guess it was a good thing and who doesn't love sanding dirt, sand, grass clipping and leaves out of neat epoxy?
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress OQ!!!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:44 pm You can see the oversize cleats I used in the corners. Will sand this area a lot to get a nice curve and hope it doesn't stay looking so boxy.
If you're referring to how boxy the cleats are, why not trim them up to taste? It would have been easier to shape them before gluing, but some careful work with a chisel and small plane would put a bevel on the corners. My first thought was a router with an offset base, but you probably don't have one and I'm not sure that would do any better. Good to see you're making some real progress on the Bayou City Boat!
Hank