FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

pee wee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 am Wow, you've got the steam up and you're rolling pretty good! :D
Wanting to get an appointment for a Game Warden inspection for registration this year if at all possible. Just hoping for the appointment set. But these roller coaster temps are driving me crazy.
Jeff wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 am Nice progress OQ!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Boat is really coming together now - looking good!!!
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

mhd wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:09 pm Boat is really coming together now - looking good!!!
Thank You! :D

EDIT: warming weather in the forecast so things should start moving along quickly!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am very close to the part where I get to enjoy the labor of sanding! The epoxy putty/glue I laid down yesterday was still getting hard all day today. So, I started to prep (sanding) for paint in the areas that need touching up and still need painting. I am block sanding and starting out with 80 grits. I sand till I get tired of looking at the same area so start in another area. Compare it to the first area and go back then. If I kind of like it I then use another block sander with 120 grits, then if I like the feel, I go to a 220 grit. I don't know if my fingers get numb from holding the blocks, they get full of fine sawdust, or the area starts feeling really smooth. But seems that walking away and coming makes me want to do more.

All the upper areas, the forward deck, wind blocker, gunnels, aft surfaces and so on, are getting the fine sanding treatment. It is getting close to no more pictures till the primer starts to go on. Which that could be as early as Sunday. Sanding is boring and so are pictures of the progress, only the person sanding sees/feels the difference.

Added a little top piece and trimmed it down on the starboard side and getting it rounded over. Will be fairly easy to add a small plexiglass windscreen to the top of this.
I just didn't like how boxy it looked. Starting to like the way it looks. Has an old style to it.
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Gonna be a terrific, one of a kind boat. Careful not to get it so pretty you hate to get it all wet and muddy!

Dougster

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Dougster wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:37 am Gonna be a terrific, one of a kind boat. Careful not to get it so pretty you hate to get it all wet and muddy!

Dougster
Thank you Dougster!
I keep telling myself the same thing, one of a kind!
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Great thing about building it yourself no need to look like every other production boat. :wink:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The temps have really been kind to me with near record highs. So epoxy work has been taking only 24 hours and very happy.

Sanding the outer top sides and started to prime. This is just first coat and will sand tomorrow.

Still not done with the dash area but added a coat of primer to see where I still need to sand. And I like it better in one color. The interior sides were primed with two part epoxy primer and will get one cover coat. They were sanded of all rough edges so don't need a smooth surface there. Need a 2-foot shorter steering cable... it's on the list.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Got a little work done between thundershowers. I glued in this deck that will hold a pair of group 24 batteries. Still need to mount the battery trays/hold downs. But first it will get a better sanding and another coat of neat epoxy to make sure it is all sealed up. Its fairing compound so should sand easy enough, right? There will be a small panel between the two batteries for the main breaker and the battery switch.

Have one more day before a front hits and drops the temps in the low 60s. Brrrr, our winters are brutal!
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Not the best paint job but I am done with painting the top side!

Since I need to wait 7 days for the paint to finish curing, I will be installing the electrics and hardware.
A. A. Milne