FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

Slowly knocking away at a few things while waiting for this month's supplies to be delivered. Trying to get as much cut and ready for a Tuesday delivery. To then start coating all the dash pieces with neat epoxy. The dash itself will need to be trimmed down to fit better, but it is close. Will still need to make a frame to support the center of it so..theres that.

Here are a few pictures of the test fitting of the electronics after their openings were cut out. The edge of the circle is the steering wheel area. The mount for it has also been cut out with an extra piece of 9MM plywood for a backer.

Still need to cut out for the switch/breaker panel/two bilge pump switches/tach/voltmeter and an hour meter.

The voltmeter and hour meter will be on the port side of the helm and the tach will be on the starboard side closer to the throttle controls.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice toys OQ!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

+1
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jeff wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:19 pm Nice toys OQ!!! Jeff
Thanks!

Guess I should mention what they are. Starting from the top:
Garmin is a ECHOMAP UHD 74 SV. Came with the side view transducer
Under that is the Poly-Planar MDR 87i IPX6 marine stereo with 4 speakers
Last is a Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/GPS GX2200

I got a 4 foot Shakespeare VHF antenna with a VHF/FM adapter. Don't foresee any offshore adventures but will be traveling in commercial traffic areas like the ICW and Houston Ship channel. So the AIS will come in handy. When kayaking in the same areas I loved listening to all the boat traffic and USCG chatter on my handheld. If I can't receive very well, I may upgrade to the 8 foot ant. and a SS ball mount.

Both the VHF and the stereo have weather bands and all three units can be networked together. I did download all the owner's manuals and installation instructions off the web, printed them, hole punched them and put them in a 3 ring binder for easier reviewing.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The results of not having epoxy to glue thing together!

Please keep in the front panel was trim with extra wood left so I can zero in on exact trim once everything is closer to being ready to glue in. I want to use the boat to tack these pieces together round the edges, so they are not so boxy looking. Thinking over size cedar cleats then cut the corners down by 45 deg and round those over. via sanding. The sweep of the front panel is at 45 deg of the deck and has the same profile as the front deck or will have. Still working on the exact angle the dash will sit into this pocket. The bottom will be open for electronic access but will have a removeable panel for future access.

The frame that is supporting the center bar clamp will be removed in favor of the dual batteries. The small frame behinds it and the dash will be way more support than the frame alone and it's in the way now.
Front angle view. The name of the boat will go across here or on the two side panels. You can see that the sweep is more old fashion runabout than a more modern style. But I want to keep as much open space in the cockpit as possible. And the look reminds me of my Dad's old cuddy cabin boat.

I like to feel more enclosed when setting at the helm and this feel comfortable to me even if the lines are not quiet right.

To help get the side panels to match the curve of the side, I cut 3/8" deep slots in the rub rail a 1/4" away from the edge to embed the panels in. Once everything is tacked into place I will fine tune everything and that includes the fit of the dah/instrument panel.

It may not be the prettiest but it sure will draw attention! :lol:
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It's gonna be a special FS14 and sure has my attention! Been fun following your build.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It's hard to tell scale sometimes, but looking at the photo I wonder how easy it will be to access the contents of those bow hatches, and if you will have need to do that. I like the look of what you have mocked up, and I'm sure you've given every detail lots of thought, just had to post for my curiosity. It's nice to see the boat coming along so well, it looks great!
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

pee wee wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:45 am It's hard to tell scale sometimes, but looking at the photo I wonder how easy it will be to access the contents of those bow hatches, and if you will have need to do that. I like the look of what you have mocked up, and I'm sure you've given every detail lots of thought, just had to post for my curiosity. It's nice to see the boat coming along so well, it looks great!
Thank you!

To answer your question, it can be a little higher and I still clear to reach the hatches, both of them. Port hatch is fender locker and starboard is the forward anchor locker.

After seeing these pictures...I look old, and I think I should cut the curve out of the top.
A. A. Milne

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Don’t cut it yet! I like the style added to an otherwise center console platform.

Re: the stereo. Are the speakers integrated into that head unit?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:05 pm Don’t cut it yet! I like the style added to an otherwise center console platform.

Re: the stereo. Are the speakers integrated into that head unit?
I like the way the curve part over hangs the electronics, so it has a function, which may win over looks. Even though the dash panel itself will be flat with no arch, the top will have to be trimmed to match the arch of the front piece.

I had bought 2 pair of speakers. One pair will mount under the dash and the other pair at the aft end of the boat. With the speaker wires running down each gunnel with their own chase tubes. The transducer cable will run down the port side with the fuel line, each in .75" ID chase tubes, then the speaker wire will be .25" ID tubes just below those. The VHF ant mounts to the starboard side aft and the cable will be routed along with the engine harness. Which, due to so many large connectors, the engine harness needs a very large size hole to route through the ribs. I may just use a cut out to hang the harness and wire tie to hold it in place.
A. A. Milne