FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by TomW1 »

+1 Your getting close. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks guys!

I am trying to get everything in the stern ready so I can mount the motor and fire it up for the first time, painting the area is the last thing... The steering cable must be mounted to the motor at the same time it is lowered to the transom due to a small motor well. I may be moving the build soon too and want the motor on so the boat will be easier to transport.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Since the back part of the build is painted, I mounted the motor. It came with everything but shift and throttle cables and steering cable. It is pretty much, plug and play. Since the motor was mounted. I filled a 30-gallon trash barrel and fired it up the first time. It was able to start off the same 7amp deer feeder battery I was using to adjust the tilt of the motor. After this picture I connected the control cables so I can figure out where I can place the helm. Still seems to be going where I measured it a few years ago when I ordered all the cables.

I also cut the ribs to support the gunnels and getting closer to gluing in the floor. Will be building a small mounting box for the control box then can start on the console.

Personal note: take the time to shop around. Prices vary a lot from company to company as much as twice to three times as much. I am adding extra set of bunkers to my trailer and the price of just the U-bolts at a marine shop compared to hardware shop is unbelievable. Need 4 U-bolts, why should I pay $50 to $60 when I can get them for $24.00? My list of retailers I have been buying from has been increasing every time I need something, and cost of shipping sometimes plays a big part.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Things are still moving along, faster than I can take pictures of. I made a small box to mount to the side of the boat so I can attach the throttle/shift controls. After it was glued, I temporarily mounted the control box and connected the cables. Reason I mounted them is so I can see how the cables will lay under the gunnels and I can cut the holes before mounting the ribs. Since I know where the control box is going, could better figure out where I am going to sit and the height of the seats.

I had to build boxes to mount the seats on and the "navigator" seat box needed to be big enough for the 6.5-gallon tank to partially slide under. Enough of the tank sticks out so I can glance over and see the fuel level gauge. It also is enough to strap it down. They will be getting coated with the epoxy primer once they are faired.

Just finished gluing the two outer panels of the floor in. The center panel will come next but need to work out a few electrical details and a water drain test to make sure all is sealed up between the frames. Any water comes from the bow lockers goes below the sole to the bilge via a drain tube. Want to make sure that happens with no leaks. Hoping once the hatches get their seals, only a small amount of water will get past them. And of course, water and mud from when we hoist anchor.

Will try to post a few pictures of the seat boxes in the cockpit and a few of the other things that have been done soon.
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice progress OQ. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:59 am Nice progress OQ. :D
Thank you! Welcome back!
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Things that have been getting done the last few days. No matter how much I clean up, as soon as I start working the shop gets scattered again, don't mind the mess. It's easier to find the dust that way.

The seat boxes, cut and waiting for the neat epoxy to cure. Assembled them the next day.

Test fitted the tank under the seat box.
And what the seat would look like on the box. At this point there were a few trips to the boat, climb in and sit on this seat on both seat boxes.
Two outter sections of the floor are glued in and the middle section is ready to be glued in. Just one final test before the floor is glued in completely.
Different angle
Need that close up.

Once the floor is glued down and cured. It gets all the gaps filled and faired, as that is curing a coat of neat epoxy and a layer of the 3.5-4 oz cloth. This is where the remaining epoxy primer will be used up after all is cured.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Things that have been getting done the last few days. No matter how much I clean up, as soon as I start working the shop gets scattered again, don't mind the mess. It's easier to find the dust that way.

The seat boxes, cut and waiting for the neat epoxy to cure. Assembled them the next day.

Test fitted the tank under the seat box.
And what the seat would look like on the box. At this point there were a few trips to the boat, climb in and sit on this seat on both seat boxes.
Two outter sections of the floor are glued in and the middle section is ready to be glued in. Just one final test before the floor is glued in completely.
Different angle
Need that close up.

Once the floor is glued down and cured. It gets all the gaps filled and faired, as that is curing a coat of neat epoxy and a layer of the 3.5-4 oz cloth. This is where the remaining epoxy primer will be used up after all is cured.

Question still remains....Will it float!? :doh:
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am betting it will not only float but look darn good doing it too :wink:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:22 pm I am betting it will not only float but look darn good doing it too :wink:
Thanks, I am going for the, it looks good as long as you are not to close style!

I glued the center section of the floor it a few days ago and yesterday fairing and filling in gaps and micro cracks. The morning started out with sanding everything down and prep to lay cloth down, which after second cup of tea, that was done and out of epoxy. Just a few grams of hardener left.

This brings me to the dash part of the build. I will be toying with different designs while waiting for this month's budget funds to become available. The gunnels and ribs have all been cut and ready for neat epoxy. I still need to cut holes in the ribs for chase tubes to run through, but I am in no hurry for that. Hoping to have a pile of cut pieces to neat epoxy the dash pieces too in a few weeks. The dash is the last part of the build!!! 8O

Will be ordering a tach, voltmeter and hour meter and that will be the end of the budget.
A. A. Milne