FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:53 pm So I would say you had a great day today! Congratulations I know today has been a long time coming. It is always a bit of a nervous time when your baby first hits the water.
Yes! Yes it was. I had hundreds of things going through my head.
No place to tie the boat up so I just pushed off. Forgot to plug the lanyard back in for the emergency stop switch so wouldn't start when I first got in. Very embarrassing :oops: as I drifted over to a man's fishing lines off the dock. All the docks were fenced off due to storm damage so no place to tie off to get in and out. Launching and recovery was a little tricky and a few fishermen held the boat off the ramp as I moved my trailer. Had to look for any leaks as I was idling into open water. Lucky there was none.

Was wanting to go again today but the forecast of no rain till evening changed to waking up to a drizzle and will continue all day. Then bad weather for a week or two. Spending that time on learning the GPS/FF settings. It's a thick book on all the things it can do.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

What a day! Congrats!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Terrific job. Re the kill switch: been there, done it and worse. It would be great if you could bring her to the Port A boat show for builders next spring. Lotsa different builds and good company there. Looking forward to more pics and first fish.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

What a happy day this is for you, and those of us rooting for you! You did a great job on her, looking forward to your continued stories of getting things sorted and your adventures on the near horizons. Congratulations!
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Congrats!

Same thing on the kill switch in a buddy’s boat. Except we were 13mi off shore. And called tow boat. Tow show up, ties off, looks at console and says “did y’all try plugging the kill switch back in?”

That was a quiet ride back.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

HUGE congrats Ken. Thats a fine looking skiff, looks very fishy!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:40 am Congrats!

Same thing on the kill switch in a buddy’s boat. Except we were 13mi off shore. And called tow boat. Tow show up, ties off, looks at console and says “did y’all try plugging the kill switch back in?”

That was a quiet ride back.
Gee I wonder if that ever comes up during a beer drinking session :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Again, thank you all for the kind words, unlimited support and advice over the years to help me get to this point. It is very exciting time just getting the little skiff through the sea trails and breaking the motor and the helmsman in. This is by no means the first boat I have been at the helm on, but it is the nimblest with a motor so I have been light on the steering and throttle.

One more blooper I just remembered: As I was throttling up the first time to the 3000-rpm mark, I noticed spray coming off port aft side. It took me a second or two to realize there was a fender still hanging over the side. It wasn't a big deal but those few seconds, a few weird thoughts were going through my head. 8O

Till I get comfortable with the limits of the boat, there will soon be other mis-steps along the way.

One younger guy at the TPWD getting his boat inspected, stated it was a nice-looking boat but was wondering "what that thing is on top of it?" I told him I wonder what to call it too, maybe splash shield?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

One younger guy at the TPWD getting his boat inspected, stated it was a nice-looking boat but was wondering "what that thing is on top of it?" I told him I wonder what to call it too, maybe splash shield?
Downunder, we would call it a "wavebreaker"! :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

BarraMan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:56 pm
Downunder, we would call it a "wavebreaker"! :D
I hope I never need to test that! 8O
A. A. Milne