Skoota 18

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Knarly919
New Poster
New Poster

Skoota 18

Post by Knarly919 »

Been looking at the Skootas for so long. Just saw the 18. Would it be suitable to build as an electric boat with maybe solar on the cuddy to charge up batteries?
Also, I know you cruised in the 20 for a while. Would the 18 be suitable for use in protected waters such the IYC in North Carolina?
Thanks for your response.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skoota 18

Post by Jeff »

Knarly919, The Designer, Richard Woods, of the Skoota's is out of touch due to a personal matter right now and likely will be out about another two weeks. You may have others provide you a response but just wanted you to know Richard is away!! Jeff

Knarly919
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Knarly919 »

Thanks Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Richard will add to my reply but for the solar side, you will need serious batteries and a big charger.

Let's do some basic math and say you will use a 10 Kw motor (= 11 HP or a 25 HP used at cruising rpm) for 4 hours. That means 40 KW.
Now, let's say you cover the whole boat with expensive panels, like 5 200 watt units. They produce 1 KW per hour max if the sun shows up. You will need 40 hours of sun to charge the batteries enough, let's say one week of charging to run the boat 4 hours total?
If you have a dock with electricity, a big charger and a large set of batteries, you may recharge faster but still, not enough. I have a 40 amp charger 12 V that can deliver 30 A for a full day but more will cook the batteries. 30 A 12V = 360 W = 3 hours per kw. Same problem, I have to charge 120 hours, 5 days to run the boat 4 hours using 10 HP.

Solar works on sailboats that use the motor for short periods and also, they usually have a small diesel running to charge the batteries.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The Skoota 18/20 are rather interesting boats. If you want electric; you have to make range and speed concessions, or rather, you need to say how far you intend to go to determine if it is possible. Personally, I think the Skoota 18/20 is a super boat for any near shore activity: waves 2-4. Waves 3-6 will be less fun and time to head in. Waves 4-8 are a threshold for an 8’ wide boat. The Skoota 20 would be more sea capable, but the 18 is a unique craft.

Electric boats charged solely by the sun are a fanciful dream for the most part. The panel requirements and the battery requirements for reasonable range are rather high.

But the Skoota will have exceptional economy and I would expect fuel in the 7mpg range at cruise; lets say 7hp demand. Check your distance needs and determine the Torqueedo you’d need and the bank required.

I am building the Skoota 32DM. We will start on the second hull in February. We started in July. The Skoota 18 would already have been done by now!

Richard will be able to give you better details. Personally, I’d build the 18 as a first boat, but the 20 if I had experience.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jacques gave you a very good rundown of the diseconomy of an all solar boat. You’d basically need a diesel genny to keep the batteries going. By the time you solar up enough; you’ve added all the weight of an engine and fuel for less range and more headache.

Solar for the Skoota 18 would still be needed for the house batteries.

Best power for the skoota 18 would be 10-20hp motor.

Again, confirm all with Richard when he is not so busy with family.

Knarly919
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Knarly919 »

Thanks guys, I think electric was a pie in the sky dream to try to make an already economical boat more so.
Oh well, now I just need to get the gumption to actually build. :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

As JM suggested... sailboats make it work.

At least that’s my plan.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 pm As JM suggested... sailboats make it work.

At least that’s my plan.
Not for primary propulsion!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Exactly the point.

I own a Chevy volt. My “electric boat” plan is basically to use the same concept of on board generator over massive batt bank to allow for real range. Granted it will be a sailboat so range is relative but the reality of needing to motor for long stretches... sucks.

Point I would make is that there is no practical way to do full electric on a small craft or without massive charge capacity.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.