Corecell M - Plain vs. Cut Pricing and Usage

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Lurker4567
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Corecell M - Plain vs. Cut Pricing and Usage

Post by Lurker4567 »

Note: I just picked Corecell as any example but I believe Divinycell or other brands are the same.

As far as I can tell there are at least 5 different versions of of Corecell for each individual product and thickness. Let's take Corecell M H80 for an example and give rough pricing:

1) Corecell M H80 @ 16mm plain costs about $230 for a 48*96 sheet
2) Corecell M H80 @ 16mm with pinhole bleeding holes for vacuum bagging costs about $350 for a 48*96 sheet.
3) Corecell M H80 @ 16mm with contour and scrim (C&S) costs about $65 for a 24*48 sheet.
4) Corecell M H80 @ 16mm with double cut (DC) costs about $60 for a 24*48 sheet.
5) Corecell M H80 @ 16mm with triple cut (TC) costs about $63 for a 24*48 sheet.

Can someone explain the rational for the cut versions costing twice as much as the plain version? They have to cost more to produce and they are all marketed for the exact same purposes. I can see the rational for different uses such as the cut version for interior marine furniture or to follow the flare on a Carolina bow but I'm thinking that Gurit banks on manufacturers using more plain foam boards in large hulls and those giant wind mills and sets the price accordingly to reap the most profit...there is always a hyper markup on any chemical based product (3m wouldn't be around without it) but this stuff would make Pharma-Bro proud.

The cut versions are useless for building a hull in the bateau method, correct? I would think it would just use a ton more epoxy and fairing compound with 10 times the work in the end.

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Corecell M - Plain vs. Cut Pricing and Usage

Post by Tungsten »

Theres also the groove cut for infusion,this eliminates the use of a flow media.I'd imagine its also pricey.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Lurker4567, lets give FallGuy1000 time to respond to your questions regarding CoreCell. He is currently building a 32 Foot Cat from CoreCell and is likely the best person to give us a complete and thorough response!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Where did you get those prices? ...from Jeff?

My boat is all corecell M80 12mm. Not sure what corecell M H80 is...perhaps you are using the divinycell nomenclature.

The rationale is time.

It takes them time to do more than popform the sheet. If they popform the sheet; they simply put it into a shipping box and voila.

If they palletize the popped sheets; and move them to a secondary operation; it takes space and time.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FallGuy, no we only sell the M80 12MM (1/2 inch) or 18MM (3/4 inch) Corecell and only by the plain sheets!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, there is a certain vendor that has a warehouse in Buffalo, NY with quoted prices closer to 180 a sheet on volume of 38 sheets for Corecell M 16mm, but I am NOT their agent; just a customer..

You will pay a bit more for singles, but most boats are gonna require quite a few sheets and you generally get discounts.

OP - what boat are you building and did you buy the plans, yet? What method are you going to use for the build? I would recommend you learn infusion for any foam work other than say a tortured panel approach..although I have not seen that..

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

...with permission from Jeff...

Call Noah’s Marine in Toronto.

But the forum here is a great place for help; so I split vendors and get glass n core from Noah’s and paint n epoxy from Jeff here.

Corecell is all build to order. Very little is stocked; plan for a 6 week lead time.

...Dan

Lurker4567
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lurker4567 »

FallGuy - you nailed the place I used to get most of the prices from... their warehouse is like 15 minutes from me so I am trying to pick items I can get from them.

I'm thinking about building an ultra low version of the FS14_LS. It would end up more like the SK14 or a giant SUP with an outboard and be completely foam filled with no hatches, etc. (just small conduit for electrical) and everything strapped/bolted on and detachable. I have lots of epoxy and fiberglass/products laying around so I'm thinking foam would be the way to go on such a small project that is pretty much a giant surfboard anyway.

The specs for a regular foam FS14_LS call for Divinycell H80 @ 5/8 with high compression foam for the transom. Given the changes I plan I'm thinking I could use Gurit G-Pet 90 @ 1/2 with 1/2 Corelite for the stringers, frames and transom. Just a thought at the moment but it should be able survive an Orca attack??

Lurker4567
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lurker4567 »

All my examples should have been M80 - I had a typo that I copy and pasted.

Lurker4567
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lurker4567 »

I was way too tired when I wrote the initial post.... :oops:

My question should have read why do the plain sheets cost twice as much as the cut ones?