Hybird MF14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Hybird MF14

Post by Chenier »

A little outpatient surgery was required:

I cut off the ends of the spars where they'd been mounted to the disco motors and rounded over the ends. Seven coats of varnish later, varnishing is done.

Final assembly begins in a week or so, once the varnish has a chance to harden up.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The craftsmanship that is going into your build just amazes me. Are you sure you will want to put it in the water and not on display in a museum? :)

Great work!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:41 am The craftsmanship that is going into your build just amazes me. Are you sure you will want to put it in the water and not on display in a museum? :)

Great work!
X2

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

My family says the same thing. It's for sure they're going to make me put the first scratch on it!

I have no delusions, though, about how wooden boats fare out in the wild. I already have two to take care of. Which is why I know how to varnish. :lol:

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

I was reading a Sunfish book the other day to plan the rigging. It described how to protect your deck from the eyebolt end on the boom. Ugh! I realized the lower end of the interlinked eyebolts would gouge the dickens out of my fancy deck.

The old wooden Sunfish didn't have this problem. It had a custom fitting that didn't come out the other side of the spar. I did some checking - those fittings are made of unobtainium. So I made a modified eyestrap for the boom that mimics the function of those old Sunfish fittings.

That ought to work. Had to plug the eyebolt hole in the boom and re-varnish that end.

(The writing on the dropcloth was me keeping track of how many varnish coats I'd applied as I went along. Easy to lose track...)

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Then I made a couple more hardware bits: I'd forgotten the S-hook that fastens the sail tack and I trimmed a copper nail to plug the hole I'd made in the top of the mast.

Here's all the Moonfish hardware lined up for a group photo:

Except for the cleat and the Sunfish gooseneck, the hardware is handmade. Now it's time to start applying that hardware.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

The sheave is in the masthead now. Cotter pins hold the axle in place.

The wooden and metal halves of the mast, ready to be pinned together. The mast will be under compression so a simple screw holds them together.

The finished mast:

The aluminum tube is wrapped with gaffer's tape so it isn't in harsh contrast with the rest of the boat. Perspective makes the tube look disproportionately long. It's four feet, the wooden section is six feet.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work!!!!

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Continuing with assembly. Here are the sheet blocks installed on the underside of the boom:

And the gooseneck installed on the side:

If you look back a couple of posts you'll see I had a rather greenish gooseneck. I tried polishing it - and discovered it most definitely was not bronze. Some kind of silverish metal. So I sprang for a factory gooseneck here - which is now available in bronze. They only came plated when I started this project. I guess this pandemic has a bronze lining ...

Here's the hardware interlinking the gaff and boom:

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Spars are finished!